Soldier pleads guilty in Iraq rape and killings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Soldier pleads guilty in Iraq rape and killings Reply with quote

The rape of a 14-year-old girl and murder of
her and her family took place at this house in Mahmoudiya, Iraq.

FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky (AP) -- One of four U.S. soldiers accused of raping and killing a 14-year-old Iraqi girl and killing her family, pleaded guilty Wednesday in a Kentucky military court.

Spc. James P. Barker also agreed to testify against the others charged, a plea deal that helps him avoid the death penalty, his attorney David Sheldon said.

The military judge presiding over the case, Lt. Col. Richard Anderson, asked Barker why he participated in the attack in Mahmoudiya, a village about 20 miles south of Baghdad.

The crime was among the worst in a series of alleged attacks and abuses by military personnel on Iraqi civilians.

"I hated Iraqis, your honor," Barker said in court. "They can smile at you, then shoot you in your face without even thinking about it."

Anderson accepted the plea agreement, which calls for Barker to serve at least life in prison.

The judge will decide in a hearing Thursday whether Barker should be allowed to seek parole.

Sgt. Paul E. Cortez, 24, and Pfc. Jesse V. Spielman, 22, members of the 101st Airborne Division with Barker, are also charged in the case.

Cortez deferred entering a plea at his arraignment Wednesday morning.

Spielman will be arraigned in December.

The fourth soldier, Pfc. Bryan L. Howard, 19, also deferred entering a plea at his arraignment in October.

The fifth defendant, former Army private Steve Green, 21, pleaded not guilty last week to civilian charges including murder and sexual assault.

Green was discharged from the Army for a "personality disorder" before the allegations were known. Prosecutors have not announced if they will pursue the death penalty against him.

The group is accused of raping the girl and burning her body to conceal their crimes, then killing the girl's father, mother and six-year-old sister. After entering his plea Wednesday, Barker gave the court a vivid account of the events.

Barker said he and the others were drinking and playing cards while they manned a traffic checkpoint.

Green brought up the idea of raping the girl and killing her family, he said.

"He brought it up to me and asked me what I thought about it. At a couple of points, I told him he was crazy," Barker said.

Barker said he and Green then approached the others with the idea, but there never was a verbal agreement to do it.

"Things just got set in motion, we just started changing (clothes), myself, Cortez and Green," Barker said. "By the time we started changing clothes, it was more or less a nonverbal agreement that we were going to go along with what we were discussing."

Barker said he, Green and Cortez raped the girl, and Green killed the girl, her parents and her sister.

Barker did not name Spielman and Howard as participants in the rape and slayings, though he said they were at the house when the assault occurred and had come knowing what the others intended to do.

Under military law, soldiers who are present when a crime is committed can be charged with that crime even if they did not play an active role.

Cortez, who could face the death penalty if convicted, and Howard watched from the audience as Barker described the assault.

They were accompanied by their defense attorneys and declined to comment.

If any of these filthy pieces of shit are allowed to seek parole, it's a clear message to the Iraqi people and the rest of the world that the lives they took just didn't matter in the eyes of the military

I can't for the life of me even begin to comprehend how these so called humans can plan the way they did to rape an innocent 14 yr old child then kill her and her family.

That bastard saying he hated Iraqis because they'd smile at you then shoot you in the face without even thinking about it has some bloody nerve. The reason the military is hated so much is because for one thing they've invaded their homeland and made it a warzone and unlivable, then add in the rapes, murders and humiliation the Iraqi's are facing with having these so called liberators there.

Their lives have been made a living hell.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I hated Iraqis, your honor," Barker said in court. "They can smile at you, then shoot you in your face without even thinking about it."

Imagine that - an invading force being treated with disgust and mistrust by the locals. How would that prick react if his country was invaded by another?
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lock him up and throw away the key!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
Lock him up and throw away the key!

Couldn't have said it any better!!!
fritz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After they have been found guilty I think they should turned over to the Iraqis for punishment. The scum bag bastards.
Crying
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: