'American Idol' Finalists Visit Graceland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: 'American Idol' Finalists Visit Graceland Reply with quote

Calling Elvis Presley America's "first idol," Priscilla and Lisa Marie Presley welcomed the finalists of "American Idol" to Graceland amid cameras and screaming fans.

The Presleys and the finalists were at the rock legend's home Saturday to shoot the TV show's next installment with an Elvis theme and a critique by music producer Tommy Mottola. The show will air Tuesday.

Priscilla Presley said the show's presence at Graceland was appropriate because her late ex-husband shared many of the "Idol" contestants' experiences.

"Elvis, too, had to audition," she said. "He was laughed at. He was basically booed off stage. He had to struggle with the fact that he came from very humble beginnings and didn't have opportunities to have others experience his talent."

Contestants Chris Daughtry, Taylor Hicks, Katharine McPhee and Elliott Yamin waved and took pictures of the yelling crowd as their sport utility vehicle inched through the mansion's gate.

Nearly four years after its debut, "Idol" continues to rule the ratings. It has attracted 25 million to 33 million viewers each telecast this season. The winner will be crowned May 25.

Priscilla Presley, who with her daughter had lunch with the contestants, said she's been a fan of the show for years.

"I think it's a great thing. I love the fact that these are people from all over the United States who probably would never have had the opportunity to be in this position," she said.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to seeing it this week and see the video of them being there. It's going to be hard seeing any of this lot leaving the show as they're all quite good. Judging from the last few outcomes it will probably be Elliot gone this week Sad
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta admit that I visited Graceland once --- had my photo taken outside the gates whilst eating a Peanut-Butter-And-Banana-Sandwich. My mate's sister asked me, in a deep Southern twang, "Honey, would you like to buy a SOU-ve-NEER?" Surprised And another mate actually spent $50.00 to purchase a "Velvet Elvis" painting! Ah, youth!!

All in all, a fun experience, but once was definitely enough! Razz

Looking forward to the AI episode as well. :star:
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the show tonight as well. :rave:
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow is all I can say about tonights American Idol! Chris and Elliott blew me away the most but I thought Taylor did good as well.

The one shocker was how badly Kath did. The first song wasn't too bad until she forgot a line, but the second one was completely horrible. I felt sorry for her Sad

I really hope she's the one that goes this week because she deserves to after tonight. She's extremely talented but I think the ones that did the best should be the ones that stay, but unfortunately it doesn't always work that way and people get lost on personality and looks.

I'm getting to think that Chris and Elliott are on par now talent wise, and I've swayed a wee bit when it comes to who I want to win.

Chris is totally hot to look at agree and sings wicked, but Elliott on the other hand has loads of talent as well, so it's going to be a battle between the 2 of them I think.........well that's if American isn't stupid enough to vote him off. If they do they need their heads read thumbs
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was most impressed by Elliot tonight and think he did the best. He has a great voice and has just gotten better each week.

Chris has a great voice and Taylor is good too.

I agree with you that it has to be Katharine to go tomorrow. I also agree with what Simon said about her performances.

It's difficult this year because these 4 are all very talented and it really does come down to their performances and the songs they sing.

Based on that, Katharine should go home.

We'll see tomorrow!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ally wrote:
I was most impressed by Elliot tonight and think he did the best. He has a great voice and has just gotten better each week.

Chris has a great voice and Taylor is good too.

I agree with you that it has to be Katharine to go tomorrow. I also agree with what Simon said about her performances.

It's difficult this year because these 4 are all very talented and it really does come down to their performances and the songs they sing.

Based on that, Katharine should go home.

We'll see tomorrow!

If she doesn't I'll be in a snit I tell you. Each time Elliott's been in the bottom 3 or 2, my heart sinks and I've my fingers crossed for it not to be him.

I thought Elliott did brilliant on both his songs. Chris was a bit too monotone with the last one. I expected him to go out and do a kickarse job on it, but it ended up being a dull, boring performance.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who vote for American Idol are completely out of their minds! I can't believe Chris was sent home tonight and I think everyone was in complete shock, including Kath since she knew it was her time to go!

She was bloody horrible last night and has no logical right to still be there, but because of a bunch of %#@*heads voting she's there and the most talented has gone home.

If Elliott doesn't win I'm going to be disgusted, and if Kath wins I won't watch the piece of shite show again.

I'm so pissed off blah
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so angry. I can't believe Chris was sent home. He was definitely the best singer IMO. It was Kat's time to go and I can't believe she's there and Chris is gone. America got it wrong.

And another thing, I could never get thru to vote for Chris, so something wasn't right there.

I should put this in conspiracy theories. :grr:

Why Chris? I'm in shock .... Crying
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ally wrote:
I'm so angry. I can't believe Chris was sent home. He was definitely the best singer IMO. It was Kat's time to go and I can't believe she's there and Chris is gone. America got it wrong.

And another thing, I could never get thru to vote for Chris, so something wasn't right there.

I should put this in conspiracy theories. :grr:

Why Chris? I'm in shock .... Crying

Ally I've never been more gutted over a tv show in my life. He was the only one I could possibly imagine listening to after the show was finished, and I can't say that about anyone I've seen and that's including XFactor.

You could tell by the look on Kaths face she 'knew' it was her going if it was a sane vote, but it was anything but and it's a bloody crime that guy has gone home.

I know he's a future ahead of him anyway because he's so talented that he'll be offered a recording contract anyway, but that girl best not win it or that's it for me.
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I love watching the show and now with my fave out, I feel gutted. Crying Elliot and Taylor are good but it's practically crimminal that Kat is still there and the best singer Chris is gone. He was the one I've thought for weeks is going to win.

I've lost enthusiasm to even watch now. I know I still will, but like you, if Kat wins, I'm done. no
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One ?Idol? checks into Heartbreak Hotel

Don't cry for Chris Daughtry, he won't have a problem finding work.

In back-to-back weeks, the ?American Idol? voters have kicked off the two people who might actually have a shot at a musical career. First came Paris Bennett, and on Wednesday, Chris Daughtry, widely considered to be one of the favorites to win the competition, instead became the ninth of the original 12 finalists to be shown the door.

While Bennett?s exit last week was no great shock ? she was just 17 and too young to compete with the musical veterans ? Daughtry?s fate was unexpected. He?d done well enough to impress a core group of fans and guest musical coaches, and didn?t do anything this past week to make Elvis roll over in his grave or throw things at the television ? depending on whether he?s still alive or not).

Daughtry consistently has been the best musical act, week in and week out, since the competition began. In fact, after he covered Fuel?s ?Hemorrhage? early in the competition, the band reportedly floated the idea of him taking over as their lead singer. It should be noted that Priscilla Presley did not respond to this week?s ?Elvis? theme by offering him a similar chance to revitalize the Presley portfolio, but maybe she?s already decided to wait until eliminated ?Idol? finalist Kevin Covais gets a little older.

I know Chris has a brilliant future ahead of him, and I was totally pleased to read that Fuel considered using him as their lead singer. If they do decide to use him, their popularity would grow because of the attention Chris has got from American Idol, so he could actually help them bigtime with getting back on the charts again thumbs

I'm going for Elliott all the way now as he's the most talented left out of the 3. I'm not getting my hopes up after this fiasco, but as long as Kath doesn't get it I'll be happy.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Idol: Chris Daughtry controversy continues

Apparently quite a few are saying they called to vote for Chris but got McPhees voting line instead. That's what I'd read but today it seems it probably didn't happen Crying

Something new to bet on: Will Daughtry be brought back?

The latest chief conspiracy theory centered on American Idol's oft-maligned phone lines, according to EOnline.com. Some fans complained that their Tuesday night votes for Daughtry were misdirected to lone female standing Katharine McPhee, whose voice was said to have greeted them with thanks of support, MSNBC.com reported.

Fox and Idol defended the voting process.

"AT&T and the independent voting company that oversee the voting have confirmed that there were no issues with the phone lines after Tuesday's show," the two groups said in a statement Friday.

And according to MSNBC.com, which checked the tapes, there were no issues with Ryan Seacrest's reading of the phone numbers Tuesday night. And thus was shot down another high-flying Daughtry rumor: That due to the host's on-air goof, Daughtry was being asked back, and that the show was planning a do-over. (He wasn't, and it isn't.)

Saying it doesn't comment on rumor, the network declined to respond to a story advanced by New York disc jockey Maria Milito who said on Thursday's Countdown with Keith Olbermann that she'd been told by "an anonymous source" that Daughtry had been "eliminated" by the Idol powers-that-be, and not by a show of the votes. Per Milito, the move was done to save face in light of a recent revelation by Daughtry on his MySpace page that said that his band, Absent Element, had a current record contract, an Idol no-no. One potential plot hole: According to Fox, Daughtry does not have a MySpace page.

A popular Daughtry petition at PetitionOnline.com, meanwhile, steered clear of Oliver Stone-isms, and classic argument-making techniques, in demanding a recount.

"Ask anyone who they thought was going to win American Idol this year, and 90 percent of them would say Chris Daughtry," the petition said. "We are shocked and saddened that this has happened. This is a HUGE mistake."

The petition didn't suggest how the mistake came to be. But it did suggest that if Fox rejects its call for a recount, "it will only PROVE that this show is rigged."

As of late Friday, the petition boasted 22,961 virtual signatures.

Meanwhile, multi-platinum group Fuel asked the rocker to be the band's lead singer during an appearance on "Extra", and the proposition created worldwide buzz. Today, the ousted "Idol" came straight to "Extra's" Terri Seymour, who showed him the band's invitation.

"That's really cool," Chris said. "I'm flattered. You know, I don't want to say yes, and I don't want to say no right now. I just want to make sure what I decide on is the right thing for me."

Smart move and Chris has made it clear that his dream is to form his own band. Despite the upset, his future is bright, and he can take his time and decide which direction he wants to choose as he examines his opportunities.

Right now - even with their successes - Fuel may need Chris more than Chris needs 'Fuel.'

Latest Odds to win American Idol as of Saturday May 13:
101 Katharine McPhee +200
102 Elliott Yamin +350
103 Taylor Hicks -160
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a lot of people reckoned that Chris was safe and were more concerned that Elliot might go, whilst Kat would stay. So more votes went Elliots way and not enough for Chris.

My gripe is that I could not get through to vote for Chris. The lines were always busy.

Still I've no doubt this talented singer will have a career ahead of him. He really is that good.

Right now for me the best singer left really is Elliot. He's most consistant as well. I've been so impressed with him and think he sings with a lot of soul. Taylor usually gives a good performance as well, but I'm a little bored already of his "soul patrol" cheer. I'm sorry to say I've not been a Kat fan at all. I think she's beautiful and can sing but she's just not the sort of singer I like. Besides which I think she should of been sent home last week but hopefully she'll be gone next week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> General TV All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: