Portrait of George Best to appear on banknote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Portrait of George Best to appear on banknote Reply with quote

Ulster Bank said on Thursday it would issue the five pound limited edition note a year after the celebrated Northern Irishman and Manchester United star died from multiple organ failure.

Best, football's first superstar, will feature on the notes in his Northern Ireland and Manchester United strips.

"At the outset of this project we wanted to ensure that, in celebrating the life of this legendary footballer, we paid fitting tribute to his contribution to football in Northern Ireland and beyond," Ulster Bank chief executive Cormac McCarthy said.

"By selecting the most affordable note denomination, five pounds, we have tried to make the notes as widely accessible as possible," he said at the unveiling of the note's artwork where he was joined by members of Best's family.

Best, who underwent a liver transplant in 2002, died on November 25, 2005, at the age of 59 after a lifetime of heavy drinking. He had suffered infection and internal bleeding and had problems with his liver and kidneys.

He once summed up his turbulent life in one memorable phrase: "I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered", but he also once said, "forget about all the rest, just remember me for the football".

I was quite happy when they renamed Belfast City Airport to George Best, and seeing they're doing this is a grand idea. His family must be touched with these tributes Smile

I'll be getting my hands on atleast one of the banknotes for a keepsake for sure. Advance orders are being taken from November 13 with notes available for purchase from November 27.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great idea - I wonder if Beckham would get his face on English banknotes when he dies though? I doubt it somehow - even if he is a Lord by then....
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
That is a great idea - I wonder if Beckham would get his face on English banknotes when he dies though? I doubt it somehow - even if he is a Lord by then....

Doubt it. N.Ire is honouring one of our own, and with being a small country, we don't have a lot of men of his stature coming out of her that are so widely recognised internationally.

England however has a lot more, and far more deserving than Beckham I'd think, although I feel he's done a lot for football.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: