Declassified docs about Iraq

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Declassified docs about Iraq Reply with quote

Intelligence report blow to Bush's war on terror
Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington
Wednesday September 27, 2006
The Guardian

George Bush yesterday suffered a blow to his argument that the removal of Saddam Hussein had made Americans safer after he ordered the release of an intelligence report warning the war in Iraq had become a "cause celebre for jihadists".
Mr Bush's decision to declassify a small portion of a leaked National Intelligence Estimate, six weeks before the midterm elections, was seen as an attempt to get in front of Democratic critics, led by Bill Clinton, who accuse the administration of not doing enough to catch Osama bin Laden.

After five years of relative civility, the unspoken entente cordiale between the Bush and Clinton administrations to avoid assigning blame for the 9/11 attacks came to an abrupt end yesterday, with both leaders and their aides fighting for their respective legacies. But Mr Bush's "war on terror" narrative was contradicted by the report. "The Iraq jihad is shaping a new generation of terrorist leaders and operatives; perceived jihadist success [in Iraq] would inspire more fighters to continue the struggle elsewhere," it said. "The Iraq conflict has become the 'cause celebre' for jihadists, breeding a deep resentment of US involvement in the Muslim world. If this trend continues, threats to US interests at home and abroad will become more diverse, leading to increasing attacks worldwide."

The report, reflecting a consensus of 16 intelligence agencies, acknowledged some US success in disrupting al-Qaida. But it said these gains were outweighed by other factors, fuelling al-Qaida's spread: anger at corrupt Muslim regimes, anti-US sentiment, and a decentralised leadership that made it harder to penetrate. It also predicted further attacks in Europe as "extremist networks inside the extensive Muslim diasporas in Europe facilitate recruitment and staging".

The damaging assessment was expected to intensify the struggle to apportion blame in the war on terror in the run-up to November congressional elections. Democrats have been energised by the row with strategist James Carville saying the party had gained a "spinal implant".

An informal truce between Republicans and Democrats began unravelling this month when an ABC docu-drama portrayed Clinton-era officials as being unconcerned about al-Qaida. Democrats denounced the programme, forcing the network to make changes, but Mr Clinton reserved his full wrath for last weekend when he told Fox television he had done more than Mr Bush to try to kill Bin Laden. "That's the difference in me and some, including all of the right-wingers who are attacking me now," he said. "They ridiculed me for trying. They had eight months to try, they did not try."

Allies on both sides have since waded in. In New York, secretary of state, Condoleezza Rice, accused the Clinton administration of failing to leave a plan for fighting al-Qaida. But a few blocks away from the White House Ms Rice's Clinton-era predecessor, Madeleine Albright, was accusing Mr Bush of adopting damaging policies because of his strong beliefs.

"If certainties such as the war in Iraq and the axis of evil are based on a religious belief that God is on our side - versus we should be on God's side as Lincoln said - then certitude creates foreign policy problems," Ms Albright said.

-------------------

Wait, what are they on about? Surely the documents can't be suggesting that simply by invading a foreign country and killing 100 000 + people they've created animosity? NEVER!!!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What also amazes me is that once again we will more than likely not see anyone get in trouble for leaking the document. Not that it took a genius to figure out that this war has created more anger towards the United States! wow I mean duh!

Now Bush is trying to come out and say it's not true! Puh-leeze! no
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Declassified docs about Iraq Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Wait, what are they on about? Surely the documents can't be suggesting that simply by invading a foreign country and killing 100 000 + people they've created animosity? NEVER!!!

Laughing
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
What also amazes me is that once again we will more than likely not see anyone get in trouble for leaking the document. Not that it took a genius to figure out that this war has created more anger towards the United States! wow I mean duh!

I so agree Sky !!! Pity the government is never held accountable for the shit they do. Then it's the American people that have to put up with the hatred when they travel abroad. It's total bullshit if you ask me. Spit on me because I'm an American when I had nothing to do with the current events and I DIDNT EVEN VOTE FOR THE WANKER !!!!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasman59 wrote:
Skylace wrote:

I so agree Sky !!! Pity the government is never held accountable for the shit they do. Then it's the American people that have to put up with the hatred when they travel abroad. It's total bullshit if you ask me. Spit on me because I'm an American when I had nothing to do with the current events and I DIDNT EVEN VOTE FOR THE WANKER !!!!

I doubt you'd get spat on unless you went to a few particular hotspots - shit, there's places in my own town I wouldn't go cos I'm not from their area!

The fact is, the american people should have got rid of this bastard by any means possible, but it seems there's just not enough desire in them to give a toss.

Any other country has massive demonstrations if the people don't like the government - does that happen in America? I see some small demos, but generally people seem to be apathetic.
fritz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just maybe the majority of the people of the U.S. agree with the policies of our great president G.W.BUSH Duh
thumbs
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz wrote:
Just maybe the majority of the people of the U.S. agree with the policies of our great president G.W.BUSH Duh
thumbs

The opinion polls speak for themselves though - the approval rating for Bush is so low that they're probably now reassigning the poll demographic to slightly richer area in an attempt to make it look as if he's not one of the most hated presidents in american history.

All those civilians and soldiers killed on the basis of a lie - I couldn't allow that on my conscience.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Gasman59 wrote:
Skylace wrote:

I doubt you'd get spat on unless you went to a few particular hotspots - shit, there's places in my own town I wouldn't go cos I'm not from their area!

The fact is, the american people should have got rid of this bastard by any means possible, but it seems there's just not enough desire in them to give a toss.

Any other country has massive demonstrations if the people don't like the government - does that happen in America? I see some small demos, but generally people seem to be apathetic.

Americans can be very apathetic. I totally agree. But at the moment there is a feeling that a lot of people don't want to protest or speak up for fear of being arrested or considered "Un-American". Which really is a shame. America was built on people speaking up and revolting but now we're scared to death of it.

We've had people arrested just for wearing anti-Bush shirts to rallies. Even if they're just sitting quietly.

Land of the Free we are not at the moment.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

250 People Arrested, 375 Acts of Protest, Week 1
29th September 2006

In a week of fierce opposition to the Bush administration's policies and the War in Iraq, over 375 acts of civil disobedience and protest were staged all over the United States. Cities involved included Lincoln, Nebraska; Houston, Texas; Des Moines, Idaho; Cincinnati, Ohio; Little Rock, Arkansas; and Fayetteville, North Carolina ? home to Fort Bragg.

Since last Thursday (9/21/06) over 250 people have been arrested for protest actions, and more than 500 anti-war groups have signed the "Declaration of Peace," a document demanding the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq, the closure of bases, a peace process, and a shift of funding from military to human needs. The actions were largely organized by faith-based groups, though participants included immigrant organizations, women's rights groups, lawmakers, and military veterans.

"We are spending billions of dollars a week on the occupation of Iraq," said an activist in New York. "This money can be spent on health and education." Rev. Lennox Yearwood of the Hip Hop Caucus, one of 34 people to be arrested at an action outside the White House, said, "As citizens and people of faith, we must be our country's conscience."

Over 100 Jewish, Christian, and Muslim religious leaders have planned other actions to prevent an attack on Iran, and signers of the "Declaration of Peace" are planning another round of civil disobedience. It is actions such as these that can send a clear message to the rest of the world that we do not support this tyrannical administration, that we do not support this war, and we will put our bodies on the line to stop it in its tracks.

www.worldcantwait.net

I'd say it's stories like this which are the only thing that can help to reduce the animosity felt towards America globally... after all, how can those who hate it claim that is the "devil" when there are people like this who are ready to go out on the streets to protest against what is being carried out in their name?

On the site linked are details of a mass demonstration that is happening in many North American cities on October the 5th.

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

Laughing good one

I gotta tell you though, the picture in the post above where it zooms into his eyes gave me the shits! MOMMYYYYYYY Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: