Chavez calls Bush 'devil' in U.N. speech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Cavuto Says Poor Americans Who Accept Heating Oil From Hugo Chavez are Committing Treason
September 21, 2006

Neil Cavuto was livid and about to burst a blood vessel today over Hugo Chavez's plan to sell heating oil at discount prices to low income residents of New York City. (Chavez also plans to donate 100 gallons of heating oil to 12,000 rural Alaskans, which, curiously, Cavuto didn't mention.) Avoiding obvious questions like why U.S. oil companies don't donate oil to our poor, or why it is that people in this country can't afford to heat their homes, Cavuto, wearing an American flag on his lapel, instead targeted his fellow citizens and insinuated that they are committing treason for accepting Chavez's offer.

With a graphic that read, "Is it Treason?" over his shoulder, Neil Cavuto opened his show with: Beware of strangers bearing gifts? Well, not in Harlem and not today. Did Americans who took Hugo Chavez's oil today commit treason? I want you to meet a guy who says yes and another who says nonsense.

After a report from Harlem by Rick Leventhal about Hugo Chavez's activities today, Cavuto turned to New York City Councilman Charles Barron who lauded Chavez and urged George Bush, Democrats, U.S. oil companies, and anyone else to step in to help the poor in his Harlem/Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood, all while a chyron at the bottom of the screen read: "Taking Cheap Oil From Hugo Chavez; Act of Treason?"

Comment: Is this "compassionate conservatism?"

(For the record, the "guy who says yes," that Americans who take Chavez up on his offer are committing treason, was radio talk show host Steve Malzberg. He appeared with Greg Palast and spent his time pointing out how much Palast sounded like Chavez. The chyron that Fox aired during that segment didn't mention treason, the topic Cavuto promoted (he got his point across during the Barron segment). Instead it read: "Should Americans Tell Chavez to Keep his Cheap Oil?")

---------------

I only heard about this Cavuto guy (he's a FOX news correspondent) this evening, but by fuck he sounds a painful little turd!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago I was watching on the news how this house in Chicago burned down and there was a mother and her hmmm 5 children I think it was living there with no heat or electricity.

That family is one of 100's of thousands living in the same condition, and yet the american government couldn't give a rats arse about it and would never think of offering a hand so these people can live a somewhat decent life.

It's pretty pathetic when it takes someone from another country to offer US citizens a helping hand because their own government wont, and to say they're committing treason is ridiculous.

Maybe their own government should cop on and start giving a shit!
fritz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100s of thousands?I guess that why there are millions trying to illegally sneak into this country every year.I don?t see lines of Americans trying to leave this wonderful country .But I do see EVERY other country in the world trying to get in here.That tells me something. It?s a FREE country if you don?t like leave it.Venezuela could be a good place for you to start.
Razz
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz wrote:
100s of thousands?I guess that why there are millions trying to illegally sneak into this country every year.I don?t see lines of Americans trying to leave this wonderful country .But I do see EVERY other country in the world trying to get in here.That tells me something. It?s a FREE country if you don?t like leave it.Venezuela could be a good place for you to start.
Razz

"Give me your poor, your huddled masses"
fritz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you don't like don't come. Laughing
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you seriously disagree that there are 100's of thousands of americans living in squalor with no heat in the winter and no food to feed their children? It's a known fact fritz and most can't get any help from the government.

Some are so desperate that they'd take a hand up from anyone, and you really can't blame them?

America is such a large country that of course the numbers are going to be big, and I'm not saying that it's not like that in every other country either, but it's a fact and it really can't be denied.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with the amount of people trying to get into the country. I'm sure there are millions wanting to live the so called 'american dream', but it has to be a rude awakening once they get there and find out it's not the land of opportunity. If you're of arab decent and many other races that aren't looked upon as 'acceptable', people would go out of their way not to help you.

What I've mentioned above is entirely off the topic of the original post, but I think anyone that is willing to help people in another country shouldn't be frowned upon. If they want to try and make a few lives better then that's a positive within itself.

It might be a political ploy sure, and I'm not blinded to that fact, but if a few americans down on their luck get heat this coming winter because of it then good on them, and who cares what the source is as long as children get to live a somewhat decent existence?
fritz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not agree that100?s of thousands of Americans live in squalor.I do agree100?s of thousands of Americans live in poverty and that is s shame.But I do love my country and I do not apologize for that.As for you IRISHMaFIA love ya!
kiss kiss For me this forum is closed!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz wrote:
I do not agree that100?s of thousands of Americans live in squalor.I do agree100?s of thousands of Americans live in poverty and that is s shame.But I do love my country and I do not apologize for that.As for you IRISHMaFIA love ya!
kiss kiss For me this forum is closed!

I really hope you just mean this topic and that you're not leaving... nobody expects you to apologise for anything - you've every right to think and say what you like.
janbo1960

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz wrote:
I guess that why there are millions trying to illegally sneak into this country every year. Razz

Go for it Fritz.... you have you say.....

On another point - apart from the Native Red Indians - didn't everyone else sneak into the country illegally?????
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Great Grandparents came from Scotland and they didn't sneak in. They had to do it by the book and wait like every other law abiding immigrant did. They had nothing handed to them in any way, shape or form. There are right ways to do things and wrong ways. Our fascist government wanting to hand these illegal's coming into our country anything they want is spitting in the face of my Great Grandparents and millions of other people ancestors.
It's time the government looks after those that are here and not those who have yet to come. Yes, there are 100's of Thousands that need heat and food, especially with Winter coming up. Our government doesn't give a flying fuck about this. They see these poor people as those who do not vote so why should they help them. They fit no demographic so these poor people are of no use to the politician.
As far as the typical American folks, we do have hearts and help as much as we can. Blind paranoia does get in the way, especially after 9/11. We are not all bad people. There is just a lot more people population wise in this country compared to most so we are going to have our share of bad eggs.
My blood pressure is up so bad I don't even know if I've stayed on topic.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made a very valid point in what you're saying, and one I heard voiced quite a bit when Katrina hit.

Gasman59 wrote:
They see these poor people as those who do not vote so why should they help them. They fit no demographic so these poor people are of no use to the politician.

Anyone in their right mind couldn't stereotype a whole country of people. That'd be both ridiculous and just plain closed minded. There's good and bad in every country as their's haves and have-nots.

I'm one of those people who feel a lot of sorrow for the have-not's children, as they're the first ones that come to my mind in any given situation.

A lot of americans really did step up during Katrina to help those in need, and there's no denying that. I just wish the government cared as much as the private sector did.

They seemed too busy passing the buck on who's fault it was that things went wrong, and spent money on hearings and such trying to crucify people like Michael Brown when it was clearly wrong in appointing him in the first place. He wasn't prepared for a job of that magnitude and Michael Chertoff was the real buffoon at the end of the day.

Now THAT'S going off topic!

Get your bloodpressure down there buster wink
janbo1960

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst we are 'off topic'

I am a big fan of Billy Bragg and heres a few lines from his song 'Help Save the Youth of America'.....

"A nation with their freezers full,
Are dancing in their seats
While outside another nation
Is sleeping in the streets"

Lets reflect......
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the abused and neglected of America daily. It's the population I work with. I can also tell you that part of the problem is we have plenty of people in the system who don't need to be there.

Example: a mother we had one year who was just divorced and said her kids weren't going to get Christmas because of her finances. She got a ton of toys and help even though her ex-husband not only could provide but did for the children and her. But since no checking was done she got this. It's disgusting.

And because of her there will have been another family and children who would have missed out. :grr:

While there aren't many, there are a few that even though they need help and could qualify for it don't get it because they are too "proud". But that is their choice. The help will be there if they need it.

I make calls many times a week to help people get electricity/utility bills paid for, food in their cupboards, find a job, or get them on presumptive medicare/medicaid. And it's tough. There are loads of organizations who want to help but they are limited on funds, staff and other resources. However, these people who do all this are usually not reported in the news because who would want to watch that?
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

** off topic **

You sound like you do magnificent work skylace, and I don't think it's just a job for you but more a passion as you seem to love helping people in need. Kudos to you my dear. I'm sure you've helped so many people over the years, and you must go home feeling good about yourself. If you don't, you should.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
** off topic **

You sound like you do magnificent work skylace, and I don't think it's just a job for you but more a passion as you seem to love helping people in need. Kudos to you my dear. I'm sure you've helped so many people over the years, and you must go home feeling good about yourself. If you don't, you should.

Thanks Irish. I really do love my job. Being able to help these children and their families is very important to me. Somedays I go home feeling a bit more discouraged than others Embarassed but I try to focus on all the good stuff that happens and work to see what I can do about the bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: