Israelis treated like terrorists!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Israelis treated like terrorists! Reply with quote

Israelis expelled from Fiji

3 Israelis evicted from paradise
Itamar Eichner

Three Israeli backpackers were evicted from Fiji after a Muslim immigration officer ruled that they had humiliated Palestinians during their military service in the territories. The three ? Amit Ronen, Eldar Avracohen, and Nimrod Lahav ? left Israel in February for a tour in Australia.

In July they decided to spend a week in Fiji. On July 13 they arrived at Fiji airport where a surprise awaited them. "We gave our passports to the officer, and when she saw we are Israelis she asked for ID cards. We told her we don't understand why we need ID cards and she responded shouting: 'You know very well how to ask Palestinians for IDs and humiliate them for three years."

That's what Avracohen wrote in a complaint letter he sent to Israel's Ambassador to Australia Nati Tamir. The three were held at Fiji airport for six hours and officials rebuked their pleas to be allowed to make a phone call. Armed policemen took them to a cell at the airport where they spent the night before being sent back to Australia.

"I don't look like a terrorist and there is no reason to point a gun at me," Nimrod Lahav wrote in a letter to ambassador Tamir.

www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3288195,00.html
-------------

I think the "three years" that the immigration official was talking about was probably the National Service that all Israelis have to do - demanding ID checks from Palestinians etc... I'd have hated to be one of those guys caught up like that, but it made me laugh anyway - "I didn't look like a terrorist" indeed...
fadyt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's what happens when you carry a passport from a country that slaughters women and children on a daily basis.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fadyt wrote:
I guess that's what happens when you carry a passport from a country that slaughters women and children on a daily basis.

spot on
fritz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How vary sad. no
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fadyt wrote:

I agree with your comment but one thing should be remembered. Not everyone that carries that passport agrees with the policies of their country or condones the killing of palestinians. A lot of israelis are married to palastinians and hate the conflict and the bloodshed.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
fadyt wrote:

I agree with your comment but one thing should be remembered. Not everyone that carries that passport agrees with the policies of their country or condones the killing of palestinians. A lot of israelis are married to palastinians and hate the conflict and the bloodshed.

Every Israeli has to do military service, so the chances are that this pair have stopped an Arab in the street to check their ID (let alone anything worse) for no good reason other than the fact they are Arab.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
fadyt wrote:

Every Israeli has to do military service, so the chances are that this pair have stopped an Arab in the street to check their ID (let alone anything worse) for no good reason other than the fact they are Arab.

Well my comment wasn't about the pair in the story, but more about not stereotyping all the citizens of israel. I just don't agree with stereotyping, and I'm sure there's individuals that did military service that didn't want anything to do with it and don't agree with the policies or the murdering of innocent people. Not everyone thinks the same and agrees with all their country does.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, of course, but it shows the level of the problem when officials in an entirely separate country see it as a reason to harass anyone. Two wrongs don't make a right though, no matter the reason, but it still gave me a laugh all the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: