mothers rejecting their kids

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: mothers rejecting their kids Reply with quote

In both Corrie and Eastenders there are current storylines of mothers rejecting their babies. They are both very different reasons but I wonder how often it actually happens, and also what the chances are of the script-writers coming up with similar big story lines that hit in around the same time...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: mothers rejecting their kids Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
In both Corrie and Eastenders there are current storylines of mothers rejecting their babies. They are both very different reasons but I wonder how often it actually happens, and also what the chances are of the script-writers coming up with similar big story lines that hit in around the same time...

I've dealt with a few cases where mothers reject babies. It happens a lot more often then people would think. Most likely it's tied to postpartum. I don't know any actual numbers but I've seen more than a dozen cases in about two years.

I know of one mother who had four children and had been fine with all of them but when the fifth one came along (and they were struggling in the marriage and financially) she literally did just leave the hospital without the baby, got home, took herself and the other four kids to McDonalds and wouldn't even acknowledge she had another child. It took a fair bit of counseling and work but she finally got passed it all.

However, it is a bit weird that both soaps have storylines going on like this.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: mothers rejecting their kids Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

Kind of makes you wonder who's talking to who behind the scenes, doesn't it. Mind you I don't watch Corrie, but I thought EE handled it very well.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: mothers rejecting their kids Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
faceless wrote:

Kind of makes you wonder who's talking to who behind the scenes, doesn't it. Mind you I don't watch Corrie, but I thought EE handled it very well.

I think they did too. There was nothing melodramatic about it or anything. But I will admit it's so weird seeing Honey this way. It just kind of shows you that she's been living in this happy, little world she's created for herself and she can't seem to deal with the big stuff when it hits. I am interested to see how they are going to handle all this.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Weatherfield and Walford Councils have announced a programme for new mothers: 90-Day-Baby-Returns, No Questions Asked! Just return baby to its original place of birth. Sorry, no monetary refunds will be provided.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

OK, I'm just having a go at the similar storylines on both soaps.

[Caveat:] I do realise/recognise that post-partum depression is a serious illness and in no way do I mean to offend anyone.

[/Caveat]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: