Oregon nurse strangles intruder with bare hands

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ap1979

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Oregon nurse strangles intruder with bare hands Reply with quote

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - A nurse returning home from work discovered an intruder armed with a hammer in her home and strangled him with her bare hands, police said.

Susan Kuhnhausen, 51, ran to a neighbour's house after the confrontation Wednesday night. Police found the body of Edward Haffey 59, a convicted felon with a long police record. Officer Katherine Kent said homicide detectives have determined that Kuhnhausen killed Haffey in self-defence. She said a prosecutor is investigating but that the case is not expected to go to a grand jury.

Police said there was no obvious sign of forced entry at the house when Kuhnhausen, an emergency room nurse at Providence Portland Medical Center, got home from work shortly after 6 p.m.

Under Oregon law people can use reasonable deadly force when defending themselves against an intruder or burglar in their homes. Kuhnhausen was treated and released for minor injuries at Providence.

Haffey, about 5-foot-9 and 180 pounds, had convictions including conspiracy to commit aggravated murder, robbery, drug charges and possession of burglary tools. Neighbours said Kuhnhausen's size - 5-foot-7 and 260 pounds - may have given her an advantage.

"Everyone that I've talked to says 'Hurray for Susan,' said neighbour Annie Warnock, who called the police emergency dispatcher. "You didn't need to calm her. She's an emergency room nurse. She's used to dealing with crisis."
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smell a rat - if she was a nurse then surely she'd have been able to tell when the guy was unconscious and stopped before he died? I'm not defending the burglar (if he actually was one) but she must have been around his neck for a good while to kill him!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless her adrenaline just took over it would seem a bit odd for her to kill the man. This would be interesting to keep an eye on.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
Unless her adrenaline just took over it would seem a bit odd for her to kill the man. This would be interesting to keep an eye on.

I think that's likely what happened.... her adrenaline took over. She may very well have stopped when he went unconscious...... but that doesn't mean that he died right that second.

It will be interesting to see how it all turns out but I think with his past criminal record, they likely won't go too far in prosecuting her.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
Skylace wrote:

I think that's likely what happened.... her adrenaline took over. She may very well have stopped when he went unconscious...... but that doesn't mean that he died right that second.

It will be interesting to see how it all turns out but I think with his past criminal record, they likely won't go too far in prosecuting her.

I third the motion. It also gives me a heads up never to mess with eefan. Nurses go through hell during the day working with sick people, and I'm sure most of them could wrestle a bull if it got in their way when they got off their shift lol
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
eefanincan wrote:
Skylace wrote:

I third the motion. It also gives me a heads up never to mess with eefan. Nurses go through hell during the day working with sick people, and I'm sure most of them could wrestle a bull if it got in their way when they got off their shift lol

LOL! I'll try to restrain myself should I ever try to strangle you Laughing Somedays, though, it's good that I work on the phone 'cause I could certainly strangle some of the people that I talk to!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
eefanincan wrote:
Skylace wrote:

LOL! I'll try to restrain myself should I ever try to strangle you Laughing Somedays, though, it's good that I work on the phone 'cause I could certainly strangle some of the people that I talk to!

If I see a mad look in your eye I'll bolt like a rabbit. You ain't getting them hands round my throat woman!

I'll sick Beaker on you :walkdog: cheerleader
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:

If I see a mad look in your eye I'll bolt like a rabbit. You ain't getting them hands round my throat woman!

LOL! I am sufficiently threatened :walkdog:
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
IRiSHMaFIA wrote:

LOL! I am sufficiently threatened :walkdog:

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: