Australian PM demands integration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Australian PM demands integration Reply with quote

IMMIGRANTS Down Under MUST learn English, embrace equal rights for women and adopt Australian values, the country?s prime minister John Howard said yesterday and the tough-talking premier brushed aside complaints from Islamic community leaders that he was attacking Muslims.

He said: ?I think they are missing the point. I don?t care, and the Australian people don?t care, where people come from. All migrants have to integrate, and that means speaking English as quickly as possible. It means embracing Australian values. It also means making sure that no matter what the culture of the country from which they come, Australia requires women to be treated fairly and equally and in the same fashion as men.?

UK Shadow immigration minister Damian Green backed Mr Howard, saying: ?Anyone who comes to live here must sign up to the basic values of a modern democracy. It is also important to learn English as a vital part of embracing British culture.?

-------------------

A friend of mine's family moved to Australia in the early 70s from Wales and were put in what was basically an internment camp while their immigration was sorted, and the country itself has always had a history of far-right support (particularly strong in the 1920s) so all this is perhaps not really surprising.

But with any luck this type of attitude will have the long-term effect of stopping all those aussie immigrants to britain from waving their stupid flags and talking about cricket and rugby all the time!
tool1175

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was talk of a test on Australian History being conducted for people wanting to come into Australia. Should the same test be conducted for people currently living here I think most of us would be on the first boat back out of the country.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's important for any foreigner to adjust to the customs and language of any country they move to if it greatly differs from their own.

Communication is very important, and people on both sides end up frustrated when someone can't articulate their wants and needs in particular instances.

I don't think it should be a rushed process though as there's always a good amount of culture shock when moving to a different country. People should have a chance to absorb their surroundings etc and feel 'at home' before being pushed into conformity.

In canada I've noticed, there's different pockets of cultures where they've street signs in different languages. In a way that's like putting your nose up to assimilating and more bringing your culture to another country so you don't have to be arsed learning anything new. I'm a bit on the fence about that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: