Hitler's Cross!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Hitler's Cross! Reply with quote

The owners of a new restaurant named "Hitler's Cross" in the Indian city of Mumbai have changed its name after protests from the Jewish community. The restaurant opened last week in the city's outskirts, initially displaying a giant poster of Hitler but now one of the restaurant's owners has acknowledged that naming the restaurant after Hitler was "most inappropriate" and has apologised.

"We have decided to change the name of our restaurant and remove all signs and articles associated with Hitler and Nazism in and around it," said one of the restaurant's owners, Satish Sabhlok. "Our intention was not to glorify Hitler - or his atrocities or ideology in any way - and we regret the anguish caused by the use of this name," he said.

The Chairman of the Indian Jewish Federation, Jonathan Solomon, told the BBC that Mr Sabhlok came to his residence for a meeting on Thursday morning and was "very apologetic". Mr Solomon said that he hoped that the restaurateur had "acted out of ignorance rather than malice - the opening of a restaurant with such a name has shocked us and all right thinking persons around the world," he said. We are grateful... To the people and government of our country, to the media for highlighting this issue and to the consular authorities of Germany, the USA and Israel in taking note of this issue and helping in its solution."

The restaurant opened in the city's outskirts last week with a party for 700 guests. A poster of Hitler was placed at the entrance, although the owners said it was not put up by them. But the name caused fury among the 5,000-member Jewish community in Mumbai. "How can anybody think of naming a restaurant after a perpetrator of such heinous crimes against humanity?" Mr Solomon asked.

The consul generals of Israel and Germany became embroiled in the dispute, requesting the owners to change the name. Initially they refused to do so, saying that they were only using the name and not promoting Hitler in any manner.

---------------

Historically the swastika symbol comes from India, so when I first saw the headline I thought there'd been some honest confusion in language, but finding out that they were quite aware is just madness!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was just the cross I wouldn't see it being a problem at all. However, having Hitler as part of the name and calling it "Hitler's Cross" is not the best business model I have seen.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this, I just managed to get my chin off of the floor. The photo had the largest impact on me -- I'm gobsmacked!! Shocked

Now members of the BNP, the Arayan Nation, etc. have a place to eat whilst in Mumbai, eh? :grr:
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things that make you go..."WTF ???"
Bat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitler's Cross? I bet he's fuming. :grr:
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what kind of food they served. Has the owner ever mentioned WHY he chose the name in the first place? How could he get as far as he did without someone saying "Um... the name ...not so much ..." I mean - surely the guys at the sign shop had to shake their heads...
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think the name's bad? Look what the servers had to wear!
Bat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that an old picture of the new pope? I think I read somewhere that he was in the Hitler youth for a while!!!!!!!!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bat wrote:
Is that an old picture of the new pope? I think I read somewhere that he was in the Hitler youth for a while!!!!!!!!

Don't force me to convert damn ye! Surprised
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, the power of boredom...

Cool
ap1979

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh my god...I wouldn't have believed this story without seeing some visual of it...unreal.
Could you imagine being the Public Relaions department on this place...how could you put a positive spin on that...lol
UNREAL!!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
ah, the power of boredom...

Cool

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: