RIP Steve Jobs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: RIP Steve Jobs Reply with quote

He changed the world one device at a time.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad that he's died before his time, but I wouldn't say that he changed the world at all - I've never owned or wanted anything his company produced. To me, hardware that is designed to be a single unit is anti-evolutionary.

The computer scene developed because of people giving their time and efforts to greater, free, development - Apple in its current state was the antithesis of that. Iphones are quite cool, but what part in their development was original?
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Steve.
luke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with faceless, its sad when anyone dies, especially for his friends and family - but i don't understand how he changed the world?

i'm also totally baffled by a lot of the public reaction to his death, people saying they're crying and stuff. i just don't get it Confused

apple make some nice looking stuff, i've never bought any of it - but i've always thought they looked nice. ( although most of it was designed by an english guy, not by jobs )

they sold their stuff at top prices and manufactured it cheap as in factories in china where so many people have committed suicide because of the working conditions that they now force employees to sign pledges that they won't commit suicide!

because of the low manufacturing costs and the high sale prices consumers will pay for the apple brand jobs became a billionaire, but i don't remember reading any stories about him and any philanthropic projects - he may have done so, but iits not been evident in any of the coverage today

you'd think jesus or gandhi or someone working on a cure for aids had died today from some of the coverage and reaction Confused

edit - i was just on google looking into any philanthropy from jobs, and not only did he do none ( at least that was known about - i suppose he could have done it all in secret ), but when he started back at apple he cut all of apples philanthropic programs “to restore the company’s profitability.” also 'Similarly, Apple’s failure to match its employees’ charitable giving does make it stand out — and not in a good way — from its Silicon Valley peers.'
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very good and thought-provoking points are raised.

Steve Wozniak (the engineer behind the personal computer) has done much more for our modern "techie" society, imo, than Jobs. Jobs was all about the business and marketing. Wozniak was real the visionary genius behind Apple. (eg. he's the 1st one to connect a keyboard to your computer; before that, it was all punch cards and switches)

I can't help but lament that the gadgetry spawned in the last 30 years has turned us into a disposal society where last year's gold is this year's scrap. Nothing is re-used or recycled. At least Big Blue created computers that could be extended through swapping of parts and periodic upgrading, something Mac owners can't really do.

If you're interested in the Apple story, I highly recommend Wozniak's (semi-)autobiography iWoz. He narrates the audiobook and his skills as a storyteller really shine through.
luke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Daisey assumes that Apple, obsessed as it is with details, must know this. Or, if they don't, it's because they don't want to know."

'course they flippin' well know.

thx for letting me know ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: