Lenny would be spinning in his grave!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Lenny would be spinning in his grave! Reply with quote

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The California beermaker who brought the world He'brew, Miraculous Jewbilation and Genesis Ale has come up with a new brew commemorating the late Jewish comedian Lenny Bruce on the 40th anniversary of his death.

Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. has hit more than 1,000 stores in 25 states in a tribute to Bruce, the ground-breaking comic and social critic who died on August 3, 1966, at age 40. The beer is made with "obscene amounts of malts and hops," says a statement from Shmaltz Brewing Co., in reference to Bruce's arrests for obscenity in his standup act. A rye India pale ale, or R.I.P.A., it packs a punch with 10 percent alcohol. "It's completely outrageous in terms of actual beer style to go along with his sensibility," said Jeremy Cowan, the brains behind the Jew brews.

Cowan said the inspiration for a tribute to Bruce came from his Jewish grandmother, who told of going with his grandfather to see Bruce perform at San Francisco strip clubs. The San Francisco brewer, who lives part of the year in Brooklyn, started his He'brew beers 10 years ago and introduces a new brand each year. Total sales have passed 2 million bottles. Cowan is not observant but said in a telephone interview he takes religion seriously and keeps his products kosher.

"I'm not making fun of Judaism. I'm having fun with Jewish culture and tradition," he said,

----------------

Lenny Bruce is probably single-handedly responsible for one of the most difficult artforms in the modern world, good stand-up comedy, so for this money-grubbing arsewipe to make money off his memory like this really gets my goat. Has he no respect for what Bruce achieved? I doubt he even knows about Bruce's personal crusade to mock "obscenity".

Would the Dutch release a beer called "Van gogh" and market it as a tribute to his absinth drinking, ear chopping, insanity? Well, I'm not sure actually, but I doubt it!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lenny would be spinning in his grave! Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

Would the Dutch release a beer called "Van gogh" and market it as a tribute to his absinth drinking, ear chopping, insanity? Well, I'm not sure actually, but I doubt it!

Don't know if it's Dutch but there is a whole line of Van Gogh Vodka.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this page that vodka is Dutch, but it has been made by the Van gogh family since 1891, so it's not a reference to Vincent...

http://www.vangoghvodka.com/van_gogh_vodka_heritage.htm
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
According to this page that vodka is Dutch, but it has been made by the Van gogh family since 1891, so it's not a reference to Vincent...

http://www.vangoghvodka.com/van_gogh_vodka_heritage.htm

I just know that all the labels and over here have pictures of him or his artwork on it.

And don't forget, Van Gogh died in 1890.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah well I'm probably wrong then - but it's not some garish product designed to reflect Van Gogh's craziness, rather to reflect his art - which is the reason the beer dedicated to Bruce is offensive to his memory as a proponent of free-speech.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
ah well I'm probably wrong then - but it's not some garish product designed to reflect Van Gogh's craziness, rather to reflect his art - which is the reason the beer dedicated to Bruce is offensive to his memory as a proponent of free-speech.

That's a fair point. I don't know much about Lenny Bruce. I remember my dad telling me about him. But I have never seen his comedy. The obsecinty stuff you were talking about makes me think of George Carlin and his list of offensive words. I could be totally wrong but that's just what sprung to mind.

P.S. I looked at the bottles and it does say Vincet above the Van Gogh.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
The obsecinty stuff you were talking about makes me think of George Carlin and his list of offensive words. I could be totally wrong but that's just what sprung to mind.

That's the thing, without Bruce nobody would be able to be as "offensive" as Carlin can be (in terms of language). One of Bruce's most famous bits was where he looked at the audience and said "look, there's a kike, and there's a nigger, and there's a wop, and there's a spic!" - with his point being that no matter the label applied to them they were still all just human beings.

He wasn't exactly the type of comedian you'd take your granny to see (unless she's a really hip granny!) but the fact that he was arrested for "obscenity" forced a change in the laws - allowing people like Carlin to do his famous "words you can't say on TV" bit, for example.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Skylace wrote:
The obsecinty stuff you were talking about makes me think of George Carlin and his list of offensive words. I could be totally wrong but that's just what sprung to mind.

That's the thing, without Bruce nobody would be able to be as "offensive" as Carlin can be (in terms of language). One of Bruce's most famous bits was where he looked at the audience and said "look, there's a kike, and there's a nigger, and there's a wop, and there's a spic!" - with his point being that no matter the label applied to them they were still all just human beings.

He wasn't exactly the type of comedian you'd take your granny to see (unless she's a really hip granny!) but the fact that he was arrested for "obscenity" forced a change in the laws - allowing people like Carlin to do his famous "words you can't say on TV" bit, for example.

I'll have to find out some more about him.
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Skylace wrote:

I with you on that brother !!!! Lenny was the first and the best at this type of comedy. Years ahead of his time and highly underated.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page has a full album to listen to (scroll down the page) and quite a few other bits

http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/lennybruce/

This 4 minute sketch caught my ear in particular....

www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/lennybruce/audio/outagain15.rm
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Face !!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: