php, coldfusion and general web development waffle
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: php, coldfusion and general web development waffle Reply with quote

so, i've somehow been blagged into helping a local charity finish of their web site. no worries, except it's all been done using php - which i've never used ( i use coldfusion )

i was just going to install it on my iis setup, but i'm not sure what version i need - the 'Non Thread Safe' or the 'Thread Safe' version?

anyone know?!

http://windows.php.net/download/

i'm sure i'll have plenty more questions over the next week Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are they using a php portal system for the site?

Once you know what that is, you can usually find plenty of hack sites etc.
luke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they've got some sort of php cms that allows them to edit the pages, but until i can get php installed i can't do anything

do you know the difference between the thread safe and non thread safe versions of php?

why can't everyone just use coldfusion, its so much easier Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you download one of their php pages it should say what the CMS is, so that will make things easier.

Are you planning to do a complete revamp of the site though? If not, I don't think you really need to get php installed. I don't have it here, though if I did I'd do it within a Virtual PC.

Normally I just edit the php files using my normal text editor (pspad). If I'm doing something that's new, I'll just upload the file to the server and test live.
luke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i'm not going to redo the whole site - if i did i'd just do it in coldfusion! it just needs some tweaking here and there and some new pages, nothing major

i've been meaning to learn php for a while, so i don't mind installing it, and i prefer testing it locally. i've already got iis setup with coldfusion so it shouldn't be difficult to get php running as well.

i found this article;

Difference between PHP thread safe and non thread safe binaries
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important things in learning php are learning how to inject and extract info from the database.

I meant to say that I wasn't sure about the threaded v non-threaded idea. But I see the point now. As far as I can tell, it's not really relevant unless the site is very busy and require as much stream-lining as possible.

What CMS are they using?
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Thread safe" refers to how it interacts with the O/S in a multi-user environment. Since I didn't know what effect this would have (if any) on the syntax, I did a quick google search which brought back this.

conclusion: If you're not using CGI, you should be fine with the thread-safe binaries

Are you working directly at the website host (I cringe to think their using windows/iis) or just developing on your own windows PC?
luke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats the same link i found, i'm going to try the thread safe version ... hopefully it'll be alright

i'm developing it on my windows pc major, i have iis setup already because i need it for coldfusion, plus they don't even have the hosting or domain sorted yet

why do you cringe of a windows/iis setup? one of the servers i use for hosting is a windows/iis with cold fusion and its very rare theres any trouble
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

install xammp Luke, I've been doing wordpress stuff for a while,

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

when you find out what cms they're using, if it ain't wordpress ask 'em why Smile

edit

If it's drupal give it to someone else ...
luke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks sauce, that looks interesting - and coldfusion should run on apache too - i'll check out wordpress as well
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you need any help with wordpress gi me a shout ..
luke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got php working on my iis setup and i've had a quick look at whats going on with the site ... it doesn't appear there is a database. it uses something called tinymce which then saves the results through php as a .html page - although the editor comes up blank when i try do do anything with it ... it adds adds header and footer info to the .html page and displays in a iframe

i can view whats there, i just can't edit anything with tinymce at the moment until i work out why its coming out blank ...
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
why do you cringe of a windows/iis setup? one of the servers i use for hosting is a windows/iis with cold fusion and its very rare theres any trouble

2 reasons:

• experience/bias -- LAMP (linux, apache, mysql, php) may be a little esoteric to administer, but offer the most bang for the buck. What you give up in "polish" (eg. Aero Glass) you easily gain back in performance and scalability. That's why there so popular for hosting websites.
  • cost -- M$ license/support structure may be harder to swallow when there are free and low-cost alternatives that fit the bill nicely and are arguably more secure. For a charity, that might be a significant factor.

But that's just my opinion... If Windows does the trick, go at 'er. Very Happy
luke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was having no joy getting php to load up tinymce with the pages to edit under iis, so i installed xampp, and it worked first time Smile thanks sauce thumbs

now i can actually start the work!
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's good .. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: