Protests in Egypt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is toast, what does he think is gonna happen if he doesn't step down? He has to step down, but what is Egypt's constitutional rules? What should constitutionally happen if Mubarak steps down? Is there an election? I think right now he's shifted some power to the VP. They tried to assassinate the VP last week or earlier this week, so I'm thinking that isn't gonna work. So, any of you smarty pants know what their constitutional course of action should be? I've only heard on the news what isn't in their constitution, which is letting the military rule.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
luke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
They tried to assassinate the VP last week or earlier this week

i'm not sure if that actually happened, i know fox had the story, and a few others picked up foxes story saying 'fox news reports' - but no one else really covered it - except when egyptian government and military spokespeople were denying it. so i don't know what happened.

fox said they received the news from 'sources' - but don't say who they are. when fox asked some american government spokesperson, all he said was ''i'm not going to ... get into that question'

if it did happen, you'd think the egyptian government would use it to demonise people protesting and to show the trouble that the current instability can lead too.

Confused

pirtybirdy wrote:
So, any of you smarty pants know what their constitutional course of action should be?

the aliens that built the pyramids return and sort things out ... i think thats what it says Smile
modern

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no real constitution under a dictatorship...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he's stepped down now - it's brilliant to see. All those thousands who risked their lives to demand this are now cheering and waving their flags. They've brought a tear to my eye.

I'd not heard about any assassination attempt - and I've pretty much watched it all live for weeks.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is amazing what the people can do, isn't it?
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Egypt!

The people united will never be defeated.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a dictatorship doesn't give an arse about the constitution, which is why Mubarak has ignored it, but Egypt does have one. I also don't know about the assassination attempt either, other than I've seen it as headlines here and there on the internet, though I have to admit, I didn't open the articles to read them, since I really wasn't arsed about it. What I'd like to know is, what is it the people actually want from their government? Do they want the military to run it or do they want to hold a new election and put new people in? Do they want to set up a whole new kind of government? All the news people I see are analyzing everything, but they don't seem to ask people "what do you want now that you tossed this guy out?".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Galloway was talking about it on his show tonight and his opinion is that it will end up in a similar situation to Turkey - run by an Islamic government which is "modern and moderate".

I think that's probably the most likely outcome, though there will be secular parties of the left and right involved in it too.

Democracy really.
luke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wont like this pirty ...

"A survey conducted in May 2009 found that people in Egypt, Saudia Arabia, Morocco, Lebanon, Jordan, and the United Arab Emirates put Chavez as the world leader they most admired."

Smile
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
So, any of you smarty pants know what their constitutional course of action should be?

Quote:
the aliens that built the pyramids return and sort things out ... i think thats what it says Smile

Laughing
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We are all Khaled Said" - facebook...

for the past 24 hours, (Egyptian) State Security building has fallen one after the other. Evidence found there is unimaginable. I cant post now but i will be posting videos and photos of torture tools used by SS, servillance and documents about all activists including we are all khaed said facebook page. There are even survillance files on Mubarak & his wife movement for years! Think about east germany security.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

source

Pro-reform protesters pack Cairo square
Thousands return to Tahrir Square for "day of anger" demonstrations, pressing military rulers for speedier reforms.
Last Modified: 27 May 2011 13:47

Egypt's best organised opposition group Muslim Brotherhood has stayed away from the protests [AFP]

Thousands of protesters have returned to downtown Cairo's Tahrir Square for what they called a "second revolution", calling for Egypt's military rulers to speed up the pace of democratic reforms in a country that is still charting its political future.

Protesters streamed into Tahrir Square - the symbolic heart of protests that toppled Hosni Mubarak on February 11 - carrying banners reading "Egyptian revolution is not over".

Youth groups that had helped to launch the uprising against Mubarak have dubbed Friday "the second day of anger".

In a Facebook call, the Coalition of the Revolution Youth, which consists of several movements behind the Egyptian uprising, urged protesters to rally for "an end to political corruption."

A large banner hung over the flag-waving crowd, demanding a new constitution "now and not later".

But Muslim Brotherhood, the country's best organised opposition movement, said on Thursday it was "very concerned" by Friday's protest.

The group, that decided not to participate in the demonstrations, said the revolution had achieved many of its goals, including not only the ouster of Mubarak, but also his referral to trial along with his sons and associates.

People's anger

The call to protest can therefore "only mean that the anger is directed at the people themselves or at the army," said the group, urging protesters not to divide the people and the military.

Al Jazeera's Ayman Mohyeldin, reporting from Cairo, said that the Muslim Brotherhood had given several reasons why they did not believe this was an appropriate time for them to participate, even though they did support the right of public protests and peaceful demonstration.

"The Brotherhood disagrees with the protesters' demands that the constitution be rewritten prior to the elections," he said.

"While some of the protesters are calling for a civilian council to be sitting alongside the military council currently ruling the country, the Brotherhood disagrees with this."

"They say there is already a national referendum that was held several weeks ago in which an overwhelming majority of people agreed to having a constitution amended by an incoming parliament that would be elected in September. They don't want to see that overruled by the military leadership of this country."

Military to stay away

Also, the military said in a statement on Thursday that it would steer clear of protests in an effort to avert any unrest.

It warned in a statement on its Facebook page of "suspicious elements who will try to pit the military against the people," and said it "decided to have completely no presence in areas of protests to avert these dangers".

Mohyeldin said there there was a bit of anxiety at the military's absence at today's protests at Tahrir Square.

"It has triggered an alarm bells with some others protesters, as military was giving green light for people to potentially disrupt the peaceful protests. There were others who felt it was a good step on the military to avoid any friction between the military and protesters as there has been some tension as of late," Mohyeldin said.

Mohamed ElBaradei, the Egyptian Nobel Peace Prize winner and a reform leader, said that he was "seriously concerned about the absence of security forces".

Activists arrested

The activists have called for the nationwide protests against what they see as foot-dragging on reforms and trials of former officials for graft and abuse of power.

Egyptians fearing social chaos accepted the army's role in keeping order after Mubarak's overthrow, but many now bemoan a worsening security situation and delays in bringing former officials accused of corruption to trial.

Activists say the military has tried hundreds of civilians in military courts and hindered peaceful protests by arresting activists and holding them without charge.

Authorities detained four activists on Thursday for putting up posters calling for the protests. The four, including film director Aida al-Kashef, were held by military police in Cairo.

A military source said they were released after several hours in detention.

Protesters want the acceleration of trials of former regime figures and their removal from top jobs in police, universities and other public institutions.

They are also calling for a return of security forces to the streets, amid weeks of insecurity and sectarian clashes blamed on remnants of the old regime.

-----
They aren't finished yet...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millions of Yemenis take to the streets
Aug 13, 2011
presstv.ir

Millions of people have taken to the streets of cities and towns in Yemen for “Friday of the Victory by God's Will” demonstrations, which were organized by the Youth Revolutionist group. Protesters held demonstrations in Sana'a, Taizz, Ibb, Ataq, Mar'ib, Al-Mukallah, and other towns to show their support for the popular revolution, the Press TV correspondent in Sana'a reported.

The Yemeni protesters called for the prosecution of Ali Abdullah Saleh and the leading figures of his regime and also expressed their support for the establishment of a national council to rule the country. The Joint Meeting Parties opposition coalition plans to hold a meeting on August 17 to establish a national council, which the opposition says will unite and take charge of all revolutionary forces in Yemen and establish a new government.

On Friday, Yemeni Deputy Information Minister Abdu al-Janadi said that if the opposition groups establish a national council it would be viewed as a constitutional coup and a call for war. In response to Janidi's statement, Sheikh Sadiq al-Ahmar, a powerful tribal leader, and the tribal coalition formed a few weeks ago said that the revolutionaries would retaliate to any act of aggression against them.

Hundreds of thousands of people have turned out for regular demonstrations in Yemen's major cities since January, calling for an end to corruption and unemployment and demanding the ouster of Ali Abdullah Saleh, who has been in office since 1978.

Hundreds of protesters have been killed and many more injured in the regime's crackdown on Yemen's popular uprising. Meanwhile, Saleh is still convalescing in Saudi Arabia, where he travelled for medical treatment one day after he was injured in an attack on his presidential palace on June 3.

-------------------

No mention on the news that I've seen, but, then again, we've got sports shops being robbed...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

Libya has pretty much been taken over by the rebels... it's great to see. I just hope that NATO get their blood money and stay the hell out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: