Readers' Choice for TIME's Person of the Year 2010

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Readers' Choice for TIME's Person of the Year 2010 Reply with quote

Readers' Choice for TIME's Person of the Year 2010

The man behind WikiLeaks has won the most votes in this year's Person of the Year poll.

Readers voted a total of 1,249,425 times, and the favorite was clear. Julian Assange raked in 382,020 votes, giving him an easy first place. He was 148,383 votes over the silver medalist, Recep Tayyip Ergodan, Prime Minister of Turkey.

But Assange wasn't the winner in all aspects -- Lady Gaga trounced him on Facebook, receiving 65,417 "likes" on Facebook to Assange's 45,643.

(See TIME's exclusive interview with Julian Assange.)

Will Assange be named Person of the Year? The editors of TIME will unveil their choice on the TODAY show, Wednesday morning on NBC.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/12/13/julian-assange-readers-choice-for-times-person-of-the-year-2010/

i'm sure chavez won this readers vote a few years back, and they just picked someone else instead!

can anyone explain to me what this lady gaga hype is all about?!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn Beck at number 5? There's nothing great about him at all. He's brought nothing to society other than cynically regurgitated right-wing wank. At least Lady Gaga has something original about her!
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the pollsters should be made aware: Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are actually two people.

Luke: I wasn't aware of Chavez winning. Perhaps that was the year they copped out and put a fuzzy mirror on the cover saying the "Person of the Year" was "you". They couldn't exactly upset their corporate masters and sing the praises of someone they're used to vilifying, could they? That would be too much like journalism.
luke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that was the year major;

'A few days ago, Time Magazine announced the winner of its annual "Person of the Year" award. Many supporters of the Bolivarian Revolution will be disappointed to hear that Hugo Chavez did not make it despite the fact that he won Time's online poll by a wide margin and got 35% of the votes. This is significant, as Chavez had been the number 1 in the poll for several weeks and was clearly set to win the award. Instead, it seems we all have won the award! Indeed, the 2006 Person of the Year is "you" and much is made of the Web 2.0 and one of its foremost brainchildren, the online video service YouTube.'
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Zuckerberg has been given the award - for what reason I've no idea.
luke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe time magazine will get some cheap advertising on facebook ...

i didn't think they'd give it to julian, but the person who came tenth in the public poll?! why even bother having a poll?!

time are getting hammered in the comments for their cowardly decision Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Mark Zuckerberg has been given the award - for what reason I've no idea.

According to Time's editor it's because Facebook will be forever and Assange is just "a historical footnote" waiting to happen.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost had a Godwin moment there!

But Facebook is an extension of an idea which was never original - I could make this forum like it, with separate forums for every member which they could control access to. A DACL (Discretionary Access Control List) is the basis of even the simplest network and it's all they're using.

He didn't create anything new and I doubt he ever will.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yare, but he's the only one that is a billionaire! lol!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I almost had a Godwin moment there!

But Facebook is an extension of an idea which was never original - I could make this forum like it, with separate forums for every member which they could control access to. A DACL (Discretionary Access Control List) is the basis of even the simplest network and it's all they're using.

He didn't create anything new and I doubt he ever will.

I have to agree with you, face --- and isn't there some question that he stole the idea from a friend??? Not exactly the best way to be Person of the Year, I would think. That being said, I guess we don't have to like the Person of the Year, only agree that they have been a big "name" in the news --- which I think Julian Assange has achieved far more than the facebook guy.
luke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me its not whether you like them or not, but that time conduct a public poll and then just totally ignore the results of it. why bother with the poll?! just say, this is who we're gonna pick - we don't care what anyone else thinks. they've put the tea party in second place on their list, and the tea party wasn't even in the public poll! they've put hamid karzai in their top four - and he came bottom of the public poll with only 8755 votes - and knowing how corruption and karkai go together, he probably placed all them votes!

and like face says, its not an original idea. i did a system like facebook as part of an online learning system back in '98 - i should be time person of the year! Laughing

pirty, steve jobs ( apple ) is a billionaire ... and he got more on the public poll than zuckerberg
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
and knowing how corruption and karzai go together, he probably placed all them votes!

haha yeah, I was amazed that he was on the list at all. People are mad.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time's person of the year is about as cutting as a butter knife. I wasn't shocked when they picked him. It's wet towel journalism and has been for years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: