Fearnley-Whittingstall's cakes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Fearnley-Whittingstall's cakes Reply with quote

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Victoria sandwich recipes
Forget all those fancy dan modern upstarts – where teatime treats are concerned, there is only one contender as the cake of champions
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
The Guardian,
Saturday 15 May 2010

Hard though it may be for me to admit, we live in a world where even cakes, apparently, are ruled by the fickle, tyrannical hand of fashion. Whether you choose a cupcake or a macaroon, even a whoopie pie or a cake pop, says as much about you as the car you drive or the shoes you wear. Exhausting, isn't it?

Well, today I'm standing firm against the vagaries of cake cultism, letting the baking bandwagon roll right on by, and celebrating the unsurpassed joys of the Victoria sandwich. Yes, the cake that launched a thousand afternoon teas and church fetes, and the subject of hotly contested baking competitions at many a country show.

You'll notice in my recipe's ingredients list that I'm a little light on numbers. This isn't some dreadful error on my part, nor some go-as-you-please hippyishness. No, I'm following in the path of that quintessentially Victorian figure Mrs Beeton, who laid out the classic recipe for the Victoria sponge in her 1861 Book Of Household Management. In her recipe, the cake is made from equal quantities of eggs, butter, sugar and flour. You simply weigh the eggs in their shells and then measure out the same amount of butter, sugar and flour. So if the eggs just happen to weigh 250g, then you want a 250g block of butter and 250g of everything else. They won't, of course, but you must do what the eggs tell you – that's the fun of it.

If you have a reasonably accurate weighing contraption, it couldn't be easier, or more delicious. There is a wonderful rightness about this, a simplicity reflected in the cake itself. Nothing fancy, nothing elaborate, and yet it's one of the finest cakes ever to grace a plate.

Even better, you can use the same batter to make fairy or butterfly cakes, too. If you'd like to ring the changes a bit, add the zest of a lemon in place of the vanilla and use the lemon juice instead of milk to lighten the batter, then sandwich it together with a slick of lemon curd. You can use it as a base for coffee and walnut cake, or even my rather more exotic cardamom and orange cake.

While other cakes might come and go, usurped by more boastful, trendier confections, I can proudly say I'm glad to live in the kingdom of Victoria Regina.

Victoria sandwich. The classic. What teatime was made for. Remember, weigh the eggs first, then use the same amount of butter, sugar and flour. Makes a 20cm cake.

Unsalted butter, softened, plus a little more for greasing
4 eggs
Golden caster sugar
Self-raising flour, sieved with a pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
A little milk, if necessary
Raspberry jam
Whipping cream
Icing sugar or caster sugar, for dusting

Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Lightly grease two 20cm sandwich cake tins with butter, and line the bases of each with baking parchment.

Weigh the eggs in their shells and weigh out the same amount of butter, sugar and flour. In a bowl, beat the butter until creamy, then beat in the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, adding a tablespoon of sifted flour if the mix looks as if it's going to curdle. Beat in the vanilla extract, then gently but thoroughly fold in the flour. Now check the consistency of the batter. Scoop up a tablespoon of the mixture and hold it over the bowl. If it drops down fairly easily, it's just right. If it sticks stubbornly in the spoon, fold a tablespoon or two of milk into the mixture.

Divide the batter equally between the two tins and gently smooth the tops with a knife. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for a couple of minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.

Turn one of the cakes upside down on a plate, so the flat surface is uppermost. Spread generously with raspberry jam. Spread a good layer of whipped cream on the flat surface of the second cake and sandwich the two together. If you like, dust the surface with icing sugar or caster sugar before serving.

Coffee and walnut cake. A darling of village fetes and church fairs everywhere, and with very good reason. Makes one 20cm cake.

Victoria sponge ingredients, as listed in the master recipe (above), apart from the milk
2 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 1½ tbsp hot water, or 2 tbsp espresso
100g walnuts, lightly toasted and roughly chopped
For the icing
100g unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water, or 1½ tbsp espresso
300g golden icing sugar, sieved
12 walnut halves, lightly toasted

Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Lightly grease two 20cm sandwich cake tins and line the base of each with baking parchment.

Prepare the batter as in the master recipe on the previous page, adding the coffee liquid along with the vanilla and gently folding in the walnuts after the flour. Spoon the batter equally into the prepared tins, smooth the tops and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Leave to cool completely, as in the master recipe.

While the cake is cooling, make the icing. Beat the butter until very smooth, then beat in the coffee and icing sugar until smooth. When the cake is cold, sandwich it together with half of the icing, spread the remaining icing on top and decorate with the walnut halves..

Orange cardamom loaf cake. The addition of the orange and cardamom syrup makes this loaf cake wonderfully moist. Makes one 1kg loaf cake.

8 cardamom pods
2 small oranges, zested, plus the juice of 1 of the oranges
Victoria sponge ingredients, as listed in the master recipe (above), apart from the vanilla and milk
For the syrup
Juice and zest of 2 small oranges
6 cardamom pods, bashed
2 tsp honey
3-4 tbsp orange curd

Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods and discard the husks. Chop the seeds, or pound them with a pestle and mortar, until roughly broken up. Put them in a small pan with the orange juice and warm until just simmering. Cool and strain through a fine sieve.

Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Butter a 1kg loaf tin and line the bottom and sides with buttered baking parchment.

Prepare the sponge as in the Victoria sandwich recipe above, beating the orange zest into the batter along with the flour and lightening the mixture with the cardamom-infused orange juice. Spoon into the tin, smooth the top and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick or skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.

While the cake is baking, make the syrup. Put the orange zest, juice, cardamom and honey into a pan, simmer for three to four minutes, then leave to cool in the pan. Strain out the cardamom pods.

When you take the cake out of the oven, immediately pierce the top all over with a skewer and pour over the syrup, letting it trickle all over the surface and down the sides. When the cake is completely cold, remove from the tin and remove the paper. Cut it in half horizontally, and sandwich it together with a good layer of orange curd. Dust with caster or icing sugar, and serve in fat slices.
Stones

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very cool way of making cake. This may be tricky with Libra scales but I'm going to give it a go this week.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm That cake looks so good Smile And I don't have ANY scales so it should really fun trying to make it ?
Stones

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile You'll have to hold the eggs in one hand and the other stuff in the other hand!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look delicious! I'd never heard of Victoria Sponge until I watched Eastenders. Since this is the Victoria Day weekend here, maybe I'll give this a whirl Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: