Pneumatic post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Historically Yours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Pneumatic post Reply with quote

I remember as a kid seeing orders being sent through pipes at a department store in the 70s, but I had no idea it had ever been a large scale thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_pneumatic_post

The reason I got to that page is that I was thinking to myself about making a miniature tunnel boring machine (as you do!) and that's where I ended up.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They still do something like that here on a small scale. At the bank you have it for the drive thru teller, and I also did it when I had my bank up in NY. The tellers were in a back room and I saw them on a computer screen and a telephone and had to put my documents in the tube and it got sucked to the back room where they did what they did back there, and sent me back my receipts. I'd like to see more of that in Prague. That is something else on a grand scale. Don't ya think that would make a fine documentary? I'd love to see that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be a great doc to show how things have changed - if someone's not made it yet, someone should! The fact it was used as recently as 2002 says a lot, even if it was subsidised.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a couple of stores when I was a kid, who used to do their ordering that way---- you filled out a ticket then it was sent to their backroom where they picked the order then sent it out front.

Still used in one of our hospitals here for a few things like sending forms to a certain location.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were interesting pictures of the underground UK railway the post office used to use.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one pirty, that's pretty cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Historically Yours All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: