XP explorer crashing when avis preview?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: XP explorer crashing when avis preview? Reply with quote

For ages I've had this problem where explorer would crash when I was renaming avi files on the desktop. I knew it was a codec problem, but none of the codecs seemed corrupt, so I just carried on.

Then I found this:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Windows_XP_AVI_Fix.htm

And that's it sorted
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My natural reluctance to download and run any exe's that don't explain exactly what they're doing prompted me to do a little research. I discovered that what this does is disable the advanced avi properties in windows explorer.

You can achieve the same thing by un-registering the DLL which does this. This can be done as simply as:

Start / run / "regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll" (without the quotes)

You should then reboot your PC.

If you decide you want to get that stuff back (not sure why you'd need it, but whatever floats your boat), just remove the "/u" and reboot.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not post something if I wasn't sure it was safe, Major... I found the stuff that you did, but decided to post the simple download fix because most people aren't comfortable editing the registry directly.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't questioning your motives. Very Happy The info posted on the site you linked to was light (to put it kindly).

The commands I posted should achieve the same ends without any need to manually edit the registry (regedit) or download anything blindly.

The nature of viruses being what it is, it's wisest to err on the side of caution. Anti-virus program updates, by their very nature, arrive after malicious software is released "in the wild."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: