WCFN-Algeria-Kefta Aux Oeufs-Tomato and Roasted Pepper Salad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: WCFN-Algeria-Kefta Aux Oeufs-Tomato and Roasted Pepper Salad Reply with quote

Well I am gonna confuse You all with this recipe ........As I was searching for Algerian recipes I came up with this one Kefta Aux Oeufs.... But I have made a Moroccan version of this for many years .... Kefta Mkaouara (Mkawra) And I decided to go with the Maroc one ....The ingredients
are basicly the same ...but they are cooked differently..one is Stove top and one is baked ....I will give you both versions ......But in both recipes I will mix my eggs and add them as scrambled ...I am a bit weird with eggs Smile

This is an easy recipe for the popular Moroccan Meatball Tagine called Kefta Mkaouara or Kefta Mkawra. Well-seasoned meatballs are cooked in a spicy tomato sauce. Eggs are an optional but classic addition to the dish.

The meatballs can be made from ground lamb, ground beef, or a combination of the two. Use a traditional tagine or a deep, wide skillet with a lid.

Serves 4.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Ingredients:

* ----- For the Kefta Meatballs -----
* 1 lb. (about 1/2 kg) ground beef or lamb (or a combination of the two)
* 1 medium onion, chopped very fine
* 2 teaspoons paprika
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon hot paprika (or 1/8 teaspoon ground hot pepper)
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
* ----- For the Tomato Sauce -----
* 2 lbs. (about 1 kg) fresh, ripe tomatoes ( I use a large can of tomatoes)
* 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
* 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
* 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika or 1/4 teaspoon ground hot pepper
* 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
* 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
* 3 cloves garlic, pressed
* 1/3 cup olive oil
* ---------------------------------
* 3 or 4 eggs (whisked)

Preparation:
Start Cooking the Tomato Sauce

Peel, seed and chop the tomatoes OR cut the tomatoes in half, seed them and grate them. or use a 28 0z can of chopped toms

Mix the tomatoes, onions (if using) and the rest of the sauce ingredients in the base of a tagine or in a large, deep skillet. Cover, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. (Note: If using a tagine, place a diffuser between the tagine and burner, and allow 10 to 15 minutes for the tomato sauce to reach a simmer.)

Once simmering, reduce the heat to medium-low, just enough heat to maintain the simmer but low enough to avoid scorching. Allow the sauce to cook for 15 to 20 minutes before adding the meatballs.
Make the Kefta Meatballs

Combine all of the kefta ingredients, using your hands to knead in the spices and herbs. Shape the kefta mixture into very small meatballs the size of large cherries – about 3/4 inch in diameter.

Add the meatballs to the tomato sauce, along with a little water – 1/4 cup (60 ml) is usually sufficient – and cover. Cook for about 40 minutes, or until the sauce is thick.

Break the eggs over the top of the meatballs, and cover. Cook for an additional 7 to 10 minutes, until the egg whites are solid and the yolks are partially set. Serve immediately.

Kefta Mkaouara is traditionally served from the same dish in which it was prepared, with each person using crusty Moroccan bread for scooping up the meatballs from his own side of the dishI
I served this on cous cous of course with the bread Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

here is the Other recipe Smile

Kefta Aux Oeufs

Ingredients

* Tomato Sauce
* 28 Ounces Crushed Tomatoes
* 2 Large Onion -- finely chopped
* 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
* 2 Teaspoons Sugar
* 4 Teaspoons Parsley -- finely chopped
* 4 Teaspoons Cilantro -- finely chopped
* Salt And Pepper -- to taste
* Kefta
* 4 Teaspoons Parsley -- finely chopped
* 2 Teaspoons Cilantro -- finely chopped
* 1 Cup Bread Crumbs -- dried
* 3 Medium Eggs
* 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
* 1 Teaspoon Cumin
* 8 Leaves Mint -- finely chopped
* 2 Cloves Garlic -- finely chopped
* Salt And Pepper -- to taste
* 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil -- for frying
* 4 Medium Eggs
* Parsley -- for garnish

Directions To make tomato sauce, combine all ingredients, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Transfer sauce to ovenproof dish. To make Kefta: in large bowl, combine all ingredients, except oil for frying, eggs and parsley. Mix well. Form into 3/4 inch diameter balls. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In large skillet add oil and fry balls until well browned about 5 minutes, turning occasionally. Transfer balls to tomato sauce. Break eggs over, trying to keep yolks whole. Bake until the eggs are set about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Serves 4

Next is the salad And trust me its Delish

Every Moroccan is familiar with this salad. Tomatoes are peeled, seeded and chopped, and then tossed in a vinaigrette with roasted peppers.

Other ingredients such as onions and parsley can be added if desired.

In addition to being a popular side dish, tomato and roasted pepper salad makes a great filler for a sandwich, especially when paired with grilled meats.

Ingredients:

* 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
* 2 roasted green peppers, peeled and chopped
* 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic (optional)
* 1 teaspoon finely chopped preserved lemon peel (optional) I used regular peel !!
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
* 1/8 teaspoon pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon cumin (optional)
* 2 to 3 teaspoons vinegar
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Preparation:

Place the tomatoes, roasted green peppers, garlic, preserved lemon, and parsley in a mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate if you won't be serving the salad right away.

When you're ready to serve the salad, add the salt, pepper, cumin, oil and vinegar. Toss or stir gently and serve immediately on small plates or in small bowls.

You can eat this salad with a spoon, but it's also delicious scooped up with a piece of crusty bread.

Algerian and Moroccan food are basicly the same ...They are neighbours

Anyways enjoy

In North Africa People tend to eat food with bread ..forget knives and forks

Hope U enjoy
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you'd just write a cookbook Aja, so we could drool over dishes like this, even when our computers aren't on Smile
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
I wish you'd just write a cookbook Aja, so we could drool over dishes like this, even when our computers aren't on Smile

Thanks EEfan Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: