8 limbed girl set for op
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Videos, pics, audio, jokes, lists etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: 8 limbed girl set for op Reply with quote

Toddler with eight limbs branded 'reincarnation of Hindu god'
5th November 2007

A toddler born with eight limbs and believed by some to be the reincarnation of the multi-limbed Hindu goddess Vishnu, is set to undergo a 40-hour operation to remove half of her limbs. Lakshmi Tatma was born joined to a 'parasitic twin' and will go under the knife at the hands of 30 surgeons to remove two of her useless arms and legs.

The headless 'twin' is joined to Lakshmi at the pelvis and has its own spinal column and kidney. Without the operation the little girl would never be able to walk or crawl and would be unlikely to live past her early teens, doctors said. The extraordinary eight-limbed baby was born in a poverty-stricken region of Bihar, India - on the day devoted to the celebration of the four-armed Hindu deity Vishnu. Her mother Poonam Tatma said she believed her daughter was "a miracle, a reincarnation" of Vishnu.

Dr Sharan Patil, who will be leading the surgery at the country's Narayana Health City, in Bangalore, said: "Fortunately, Lakshmi has one complete body with a near perfect set of organs. Her skeletal system involves two bodies which are fused together at the level of the pelvis. The operation itself, although presents several challenges, is not the most complex in the world. What is highly unusual in Lakshmi's case is precisely how her bodies are fused, almost mirroring each other."

The Hindu god Vishnu is the preserver and protector of creation

Parents Poonam Devi and Shambu Das, who earn about 50p a day as casual labourers, were turned away from several hospitals before her plight was taken up by Dr Patil. The operation is expected to cost about £100,000. Poonam, who gave birth to Lakshmi on the celebration day of the four-armed Hindu goddess of wealth and prosperity after whom the new born was named, said: "She is a miracle, a special blessing from God. But she is my daughter and she cannot live like this."

Laskhmi is the subject of a Channel 4 documentary as part of the Bodyshocks series.
luke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope the operation goes alright - i'll have to watch that documentary
nekokate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! I hope the operation goes well. My thoughts and wishes are with the family.

However, it always intrigues me how, in so many cases of a child being born either deformed or with some other problem, the parents often say "he/she is a blessing/gift from God". Is that maybe a psychological coping mechanism for the parents? Because obviously a deformed child is not a blessing, is it?

I'm straying towards a Karl Pilkington argument here, but think about it - I mean, what God would say "I really like the Smith family, so I'll make them have a kid with five heads and a tail"? That is not a blessing.

Interesting psychological phenomenon how so many people view it as such.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more intrigued by the fact that the bottom half is basically a headless body!
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also intrigued by how they know it's a girl. And how they are planning on constructing the necessary... erm... parts. And how does she wee????
luke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember seeing some documentary once, in the olden days things like this and siamese twins etc were seen as special - but maybe like you said neko, and especially back then with limited scientific understanding, it was just a way of explaining it

the weirdest documentary i saw was about some kid, he had his own twin brother - or what should have been, in his stomach. they took it out in the end, they never showed it all in one go so you could see it, just bits - it had hair and teeth, so strange - really really weird
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts go to her and her family. I hope it all goes well.
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The anomalies of the human form never cease to amaze me.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
Yikes! I hope the operation goes well. My thoughts and wishes are with the family.

However, it always intrigues me how, in so many cases of a child being born either deformed or with some other problem, the parents often say "he/she is a blessing/gift from God". Is that maybe a psychological coping mechanism for the parents? Because obviously a deformed child is not a blessing, is it?

I'm straying towards a Karl Pilkington argument here, but think about it - I mean, what God would say "I really like the Smith family, so I'll make them have a kid with five heads and a tail"? That is not a blessing.

Interesting psychological phenomenon how so many people view it as such.

Just a short answer from me kate .....when Anissa was first pregnant with my last grandbaby...the scans showed cysts ..... which we were told were pointers towards ..downs syndrome .....I cannot remember all the fancy Jargon and stuff....but we did read up on everything at the time ....the net is a very helpful place .....maybe without the net and answers and others that had gone through this shite ....Luke could of been an abortion or worse.....We decided that we were taking our chances ......and that if the worse came to the worst.....Then Little Like would be our Blessing ......and Loved forever Regardless ......

When I was preggers with anissa back in 76 ..i was in contact with ruebella ....they wanted me to abort her .....told me she would be blind and useless ......shes a pain in the butt sometimes .....but shes far from useless......

If any of my kids were handicapped in any way ....I would love them even more ....so it goes .....They are special and they are a blessing ..... Smile
luke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought i'd use this thread to show you my little niece jasmines leg - she was born like this! it was mad, almost like a right angle, so her foot was nearly pointing upwards!

sine then though its almost straightened out, its still a bit off, but its never stopped her doing anything, she walks fine and runs about, climbs the stars hiding crisps all over the house etc

my only concern for her is that she'll get bullied or picked on when she starts school, but shes a tough little girl Smile
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
i thought i'd use this thread to show you my little niece jasmines leg - she was born like this! it was mad, almost like a right angle, so her foot was nearly pointing upwards!

sine then though its almost straightened out, its still a bit off, but its never stopped her doing anything, she walks fine and runs about, climbs the stars hiding crisps all over the house etc

my only concern for her is that she'll get bullied or picked on when she starts school, but shes a tough little girl Smile

Luke - that is fascinating! Was it the bone growing like that or a joint? Are there any medical plans for the future?
luke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was the bone, almost like she didn't have enough space to grow so it grew at a weird angle - the knee and ankle joint are fine. they was going to do some operation, but want to wait until the bones had finished developing - i always thought it would be better to do it when she was young, baby bones are quite soft i thought. she had this metal kinda brace for a bit - she didn't like that, but it helped it out a lot.

i've tried to find a picture of her leg now but don't really have a good one - she doesn't stay still long enough now to get a decent photo!
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
Just a short answer from me kate .....when Anissa was first pregnant with my last grandbaby...the scans showed cysts ..... which we were told were pointers towards ..downs syndrome .....I cannot remember all the fancy Jargon and stuff....but we did read up on everything at the time ....the net is a very helpful place .....maybe without the net and answers and others that had gone through this shite ....Luke could of been an abortion or worse.....We decided that we were taking our chances ......and that if the worse came to the worst.....Then Little Like would be our Blessing ......and Loved forever Regardless ......

When I was preggers with anissa back in 76 ..i was in contact with ruebella ....they wanted me to abort her .....told me she would be blind and useless ......shes a pain in the butt sometimes .....but shes far from useless......

If any of my kids were handicapped in any way ....I would love them even more ....so it goes .....They are special and they are a blessing ..... Smile

That makes a lot of sense. That's pretty much what I imagined people probably meant.
luke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my niece ( details and pic above ) went into hospital on tuesday and has had this mad painful looking contraption attached to her leg Shocked its got wires and stuff running right through the bones in her leg, and 4 times a day they have to tightened. she has to wear it for three months, and hopefully by then it'll be as alright as its ever going to get ...

she's not best pleased about it! understandably, it looks like some torture device from one of the saw movies. i can't image how painful its got to be, plus she has to be in a wheelchair Sad

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wee nephew had to have something similar after he was born - these days (he's 12) you'd never know he ever had something wrong... it worked a treat

I'm sure your niece will be fine - all the best to her!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Videos, pics, audio, jokes, lists etc All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: