Galloway on Michael Martin (The Guardian)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Galloway on Michael Martin (The Guardian) Reply with quote

seshme

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost surprised George is still coming out with this nonsense about catholicism I think it says more about his inability to move on in a secular country than any hidden anti catholic agenda.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The head-of-state is the leader of a religion that fought against Catholicism. Whether or not you agree, there is absolutely no doubt that the secular are quite often anti-Catholic too.
seshme

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see a lot of them being snobbish about his accent and even as a Glaswegian myself I have a little sympathy with that. He's not the most eloquent and you can be clear and have good communication skills without betraying your class or background.

Personally I am a republican but if we have to have a royal family then obviously prohibiting people based on their particular superstitions makes it even more ridiculous. I still doubt the vast majority of people knew or cared what one Martin was born under until George went on about it on Question Time.
modern

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the soon-to-be erstwhile, Speaker's ineptness, there was always going to be an element of snobbery and bigotry against him in the house. This is what George was conveying here - a lot of people who have posted comments on his CIF page have failed to grasp this...as have you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: