YouTube "Not so cool facts about Israel"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nekokate

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video appears to have been made in response to this:

PS - you can always tell when a video on YouTube is blatant propaganda; it will have commenting disabled ;)
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a waste of time that one is...no disrespect to you Kate.

Just several minutes of "look how clever we are" video, rather than tackling the issues in the other video.

Re your noting of the 'commenting disabled' feature - I see you are referring to the other video. Good spot.
Salim201

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quintessential colonialist propaganda! it has a terrible imperialist hubristic tone, 'look how we've modernised these inferior peoples'. seeing things from the western-centric sphere is whats causing all the polarisation.
nekokate

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salim201 wrote:
quintessential colonialist propaganda! it has a terrible imperialist hubristic tone, 'look how we've modernised these inferior peoples'. seeing things from the western-centric sphere is whats causing all the polarisation.

Hehe! It is rather like that, isn't it? Reminds me of a bling-bling ho showing off her jewellery and car. "Look at all this stuff I've got! All I had to do was suck off this big American guy!"
DavidGig

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only noticed a single fact in the "Not So Cool" video that seemed incorrect.

Quote:
Israel is the country with the highest number of protective US Security Council vetoes: 100 times+

This is a subject I know something about. The actual number of U.S. vetoes on behalf of Israel so far is 43. To put this in context, this represents more than half of all U.S. vetoes ever issued. It is also more than all the other vetoes by all the other Security Council members on all other topics combined (including the U.S.S.R.'s during the Cold War).

It's true the video didn't paint a rosy picture of Israel, and perhaps that's what shocked maycm. But that wasn't its intent. For that we have the media. Smile
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maycm wrote:
Never let the "facts" get in the way of a posting about Israel. This is the type of propaganda put out by Iran and other anti semetic organizations. Is this what you wish to associate yourself ?

I object to the implication that by posting a video which I posted as-is without any comment would make me associated with
"anti semetic organizations".

I also don't think Iran is anti-semitic. They have a large and successful Jewish population. They are anti-zionist .. but that shouldn't be deliberately confused with anti-semitic.
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
maycm wrote:
Never let the "facts" get in the way of a posting about Israel. This is the type of propaganda put out by Iran and other anti semetic organizations. Is this what you wish to associate yourself ?

I object to the implication that by posting a video which I posted as-is without any comment would make me associated with
"anti semetic organizations".

I believe it's a reasonable comment as it's fair to say that most would not expect you to post something you don't wish to be associated with - unless you state as such, which you didn't.

In any event - I ask the question - what is your reply, other than objecting to my post? If you don't wish to be associated with this then why post it?

In any event, it spawned some interesting discussion, though not directly related to the content.
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maycm wrote:
In any event - I ask the question - what is your reply, other than objecting to my post? If you don't wish to be associated with this then why post it?

It was an interesting video, and I realised it would provide a lively debate.

Also comparing it to the video Kate found (which I am pleased she found), I believe the video I posted is closer to painting Israel in it's true colours than the pro-Israeli video.
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidGig wrote:
Quote:
Israel is the country with the highest number of protective US Security Council vetoes: 100 times+

This is a subject I know something about. The actual number of U.S. vetoes on behalf of Israel so far is 43.

I don't know the actual number, but a pro-Israeli site http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/UN/usvetoes.html
listed 42 "U.S. Vetoes of UN Resolutions Critical of Israel " between 1972-2006

The list of 42 doesn't mention Lebanon, which makes me wonder how many times the US has simply said it would veto, and the other members just didn't bother to push it to a vote. There may also be "semantics" involved, e.g. the 42 listed had the US as the sole person who voted against. What if Britain and US both voted against a motion which would have carried on a majority, would that have counted as a US veto ?

Article "http://www.wrmea.com/archives/May-June_2005/0505014.html" also has a list, and says no vetos were issued before 1970
I wonder if that is a reflection of the deteriorating and isolated (or extreme) position of the US.
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
maycm wrote:

It was an interesting video, and I realised it would provide a lively debate.

Also comparing it to the video Kate found (which I am pleased she found), I believe the video I posted is closer to painting Israel in it's true colours than the pro-Israeli video.

...so on the whole, it seems you agree with the majority of the content as I thought, and don't wish to raise any questions about it. That's exactly how propaganda works.

The video Kate found is chest beating claptrap and shouldn't be compared, although there is considerably more truth in it than the propaganda video.
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maycm wrote:
The video Kate found is chest beating claptrap and shouldn't be compared, although there is considerably more truth in it than the propaganda video.

I am confused .. I thought the "chest beating claptrap" video was the propaganda video.

p.s. re "and don't wish to question any of it", clearly you didn't read my prior post.
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prop·a·gan·da /ˌprɒpəˈgændə/ [prop-uh-gan-duh]

–noun 1. information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maycm wrote:

–noun 1. information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.

That would cover the ""chest beating claptrap" video " .. since it is harming the Palestinians by encouraging a rosy view of Israel's actions to the detriment of the Palestinian population's rights.
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
p.s. re "and don't wish to question any of it", clearly you didn't read my prior post.

I've re-read your posts and don't see anything to question the content of the video you posted, you just made a comment about Iran.
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
maycm wrote:

That would cover the ""chest beating claptrap" video " .. since it is harming the Palestinians by encouraging a rosy view of Israel's actions to the detriment of the Palestinian population's rights.

Dear oh dear we are clutching at straws now aren't we?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: