Crocodile Hunter dead
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Crocodile Hunter dead Reply with quote

The naturalist and television star Steve Irwin has died in a diving accident in far north Queensland. He was 44.

Police say he was stung through the heart by a stingray while diving off Port Douglas.

He was filming a documentary when the accident occurred around midday AEST near the Low Isles.

A helicopter arrived with paramedics on board to try to resuscitate him, but it was too late.

Irwin, who was was born in Victoria in 1962, inherited his love of reptiles from his father.

His father Bob was a keen reptile enthusiast and moved the family to Queensland in 1970 to open a small reptile park on the Sunshine Coast.

Irwin took over the family business in 1991 and grew it into Australia Zoo.

In 1992 he ventured into television, making the first series of the Crocodile Hunter.

When the program aired in the United States, he shot to international fame.

Irwin is survived by his wife Terri and two children.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read this on Yahoo! What a shock!! I always liked this guy. I'm so sorry to hear of his accident. My heart goes out to his wife and two children. RIP Steve Irwin! Crying
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLOIMEY!!
Griffo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey!

I read this somewhere earlier. I love Steve Irwin Crying

In the bit i read..it said:

" Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica."

I don't know which way i should take that...
janbo1960

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From ABC News Australia...its being seen here as a national tragedy.......strewth!!!

Irwin died 'doing what he loved best'

The documentary producer working with Steve Irwin when he died in far north Queensland today has told of the naturalist and television star's last moments.

Police say the 44-year-old died when was stung through the chest by a stingray while diving off Port Douglas.

John Stainton says the fatal incident was unprovoked.

He says the wildlife expert and a cameraman were snorkelling across Batt Reef in shallow water at about 11:00 am AEST.

Mr Stainton says the cameraman was initially unaware of the fatal sting.

"He [Irwin] just swum over the top of the ray and the barb came up and hit him," he said.

"The cameraman said at the time he didn't even know that it had hit him [Irwin] and then he saw blood in the water."

Mr Stainton says Irwin died doing what he loved best.

"Today the world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," he said.

"He left this world in a peaceful and happy state of mind. He would have said, 'Croc's will'."

Police say a post-mortem examination will be conducted on Irwin's body this evening.

Irwin was born in Victoria in 1962.

His father was a keen reptile enthusiast and moved the family to Queensland in 1970 to open a small reptile park on the Sunshine Coast.

In 1991, Irwin took over the family business and a year later launched his Crocodile Hunter television program, which turned him into a household name in the US.

Irwin is survived by his wife Terri and two children.

'Huge loss'

Politicians and the tourism industry have paid tribute to Irwin.

Prime Minister John Howard says Irwin's death is a "huge loss" for the nation.

"He was the genuine article, what you saw was what you got, he took risks, he enjoyed life, but he brought immense joy to millions of people, particularly to children, and it's just such a terrible loss and I feel very distressed and I'm quite upset," he said.

His death is featuring in news coverage around the world.

The BBC and CNN are including it in their news bulletins.

The story is also being carried on websites from New Zealand to Britain and the United States.

One of Irwin's biggest critics has remembered the television star as an Australian icon who will be sadly missed.

Director of Crocodylus Park Graeme Webb says despite them being at loggerheads over crocodile safari hunting, Irwin's legacy will live on.

"He was a champion for crocodile conservation. He should be able to rest assured that crocodiles will be conserved long after he's gone and he's contributed to that process, so I guess that's my main memory of him," he said.

Locals pay their respects

Locals have laid flowers at the entrance to Irwin's Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast as a mark of respect.

Many have described him as a great adventurer and Australian who lived life to the fullest.

Those that live near the zoo say Irwin helped put the Sunshine Coast on the map.

A statement from Australia Zoo describes him as a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet.
HandoGod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
I just read this on Yahoo! What a shock!! I always liked this guy. I'm so sorry to hear of his accident. My heart goes out to his wife and two children. RIP Steve Irwin! Crying

Me too, I echo this

Crying
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I think he's a complete arsehole to have continued doing such dangerous stuff when he had a family to consider. He had no need to work in that way any more as he'd made loads of cash, so why do it apart from for selfish reasons?

I enjoyed his shows though, no doubt.
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
To be honest I think he's a complete arsehole to have continued doing such dangerous stuff when he had a family to consider. He had no need to work in that way any more as he'd made loads of cash, so why do it apart from for selfish reasons?

Absolutely - I echo this. It's quite a shock, but who isn't going to turn around and say he had it coming. You can't keep playing with fire without eventually getting burned.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maycm wrote:
faceless wrote:

Absolutely - I echo this. It's quite a shock, but who isn't going to turn around and say he had it coming. You can't keep playing with fire without eventually getting burned.

I just got jumped on by about 5 people on another forum for saying the same thing. According to them, apparently his children will be happy with videos of him and the knowledge that he did some good work.

no
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I really enjoyed his programs, but this is a tragic loss to be sure. I guess he had to know this was a risk when he got into this line of work.
vegas
Diamond Geezer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Very Sad what a tragedy
fritz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to here about this fine gentlemen.His family must be devastated.RIP Sad
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz wrote:
I'm sorry to here about this fine gentlemen.His family muat be devastated.RIP Sad

Apparently the media knew all about it before his wife did as she was on some project in Tasmania...
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite enjoyed his shows until he took his one month old baby in with him to feed a crocodile. That's when I went off him.

It's a bloody shame it happened though as he was an avid supporter of protecting wildlife, and anyone who puts themself in danger to do that is pretty special.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
I quite enjoyed his shows until he took his one month old baby in with him to feed a crocodile. That's when I went off him.

It's a bloody shame it happened though as he was an avid supporter of protecting wildlife, and anyone who puts themself in danger to do that is pretty special.

I'd agree with that entirely except that I think he should have stopped the dangerous side of things for the sake of his child.

I must be getting old...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: