Asparagus rage
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Asparagus rage Reply with quote

Overpriced veg causes anger
Tuesday, May 19, 2009

German police are searching for a motorist who beat a 24-year-old woman selling white asparagus because he was upset about her asking price for the coveted springtime vegetable, police said Monday. The prices for white asparagus, sometimes called "edible ivory" in Germany, fluctuate wildly during the short springtime season, peaking early in the season at 10 euros per kilo.

The man screamed at the woman that her asparagus was overpriced. He then punched her in the face and threatened to unleash his attack dog at her. She fled and called police. "The motorist said her prices were totally over the top," said Dietmar Keck, police spokesman in the Havelland district west of Berlin, without saying how much she was asking.

Prices for asparagus now range from 1 to 5 euros per kilo, he said. Some 55,000 tons valued at 175 million euros (£154 million) are harvested annually.

-----------------

She was clearly asking for it!

crazed
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How dare she try to make a profit?? What is wrong with her. Seriously, though, I have seen the madness for myself. Germans are crazy for white asparagus and it can get pretty pricey. It is really good, but not good enough to punch someone ...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The man screamed at the woman that her asparagus was overpriced" - it sounds like a story from Roger Irrelevant in Viz...
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they go a tad daft here when "spargel" season is upon us. Ol' rope is what I call it, though my wife reveres it as the afore mentioned ivory.

There is one farm not too far away from here - we are about an hours drive from "Spargel Land" - that employs 1,500 workers .. crazed

I deliver me maggots to the area on Fridays ...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oma and great-oma used to work on white asparagus farms after WWII. They made some good money. It's not easy to grow it, which is one reason it is so expensive and also the Germans take it very seriously.

As I spent a good chunk of my formative years in Germany I was confused moving to the States to find that it was green as well as white.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad used to call asparagus "spargel grass" when we were kids. Now I know where he got it from (my paternal grandmother was Austrian).
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen white asaparagus here.... is it as strong as the green? I don't really like the green stuff but would give the white a try if it wasn't as strong.

I can't tell you how many calls I used to get on the health line from people who'd eat asaparagus then freak out because their urine smelled bad!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say it's a strong. The taste is similar. It's "fresher" tasting if that makes any sense.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it! Fresher is really the best description of the difference in taste.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband makes asparagus soup with the white asparagus. that was the first time I had ever seen it. Actually, the white asparagus seemed more available to get than the green where we were in Denmark.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
I love it! Fresher is really the best description of the difference in taste.

I am glad that you understand me Spurs! I was writing that and thinking "does that make any sense" You complete me Very Happy
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
My husband makes asparagus soup with the white asparagus. that was the first time I had ever seen it. Actually, the white asparagus seemed more available to get than the green where we were in Denmark.

It's the same way in Germany. I honestly never saw green asparagus when I lived there and my mother told me growing up she only saw it a few times. She was surprised when she moved to the States and saw there was more green then white.
Marrow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whites no harder to grow then green asparagus, just a bit more labour. If you already have some green in your garden, simply put a pot over it as soon as you see even a trace of its tip. As long as it gets no light it wont develop any green ( chlorophyll) .
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically the white stuff is battery asparagus? Starved of light and sustinence it puts all its energy into getting to the light that simply doesn't exist?

I've never felt sorry for a plant before!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marrow wrote:
Whites no harder to grow then green asparagus, just a bit more labour. If you already have some green in your garden, simply put a pot over it as soon as you see even a trace of its tip. As long as it gets no light it wont develop any green ( chlorophyll) .

A bit more labor makes it harder. It still grows but it's not going to be as easy because you have to keep checking it. Hence the reason it's more expensive.

You're right face, it's white because it's not been allowed to produce chlorophyll due to the lack of sunlight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: