Howard Marks "Mr. Nice"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Videos, pics, audio, jokes, lists etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Howard Marks "Mr. Nice" Reply with quote

Howard Marks - Mr Nice

Marks tells again the tales of his often hazy days at Oxford University and talks in incredible detail and hilarity of his life both as a pot smuggler and today as a former smuggler and campaigner for the legalisation of marijuana.

At one stage or another Marks has spent time in some of the toughest prisons on the planet, often sharing jokes and smokes with some of the most dangerous criminals of our time. At others he has spent time living it up as an 'International Man of Mystery' always watching his back, always watching millions of dollars slip through his hands. A man who has experienced highs and lows and many more highs, a man of boundless wisdom, this footage brings Howard Marks and the whole experience well and truly into your living room for the story of a life you won't forget.

'A Video Diary' does nothing more than to re-emphasise Marks' cult status and popularity among people of all ages and backgrounds but still does more than that. It shows again that Howard is a truly a nice guy and a living legend.

--------------------

if you're interested but not checked it, you should read his first book mr nice - brilliant Very Happy i have it - i'll add it to the couch library if anyone wants to borrow it Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one, I've always managed to miss this video. I read the book a few years ago and really enjoyed it. He's like Carlos the Jackal, except he wasn't killing people, he was bringing a smile to their faces!
luke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first book was amazing, loved that - i've picked up his other two, the second was pretty poor, just a collection of different drug stories from different people, the third i've not read yet but its more about his life since the first book, his activism and stuff

my house mate has a book by his wife, telling the same story but her version of it kinda thing - Mr Nice and Mrs Marks: Adventures with Howard - supposed to be quite good

if you liked mr nice, you'll like smokescreen by robert sabbag, its the true story of americas mr nice, allen long

Quote:
Robert Sabbag's astonishing "novel" Smokescreen portrays the real adventures of a real hero of the American underground. Allen Long began as a documentary film-maker following a number of drug dealers and smugglers through the highs and comedowns of getting illicit materials to those who most want them. He then decided, connoisseur that he was of the almost mythical Columbian gold, that smuggling marijuana himself may very well be the best way to fund his film--and the lavish Hollywood lifestyle to go along with it that soon made him forget his more artistic aspirations. Snowblind, Robert Sabbag's previous book, a classic account of cocaine smuggling, looked unlikely to be bettered but Smokescreen somehow manages just that. The book has a marvellous swagger: it is well crafted, cleverly paced and genuinely thrilling. It is also very funny. Opening with a highly tense report of landing on an invisible runaway deep in the Columbian forest (and barely making it because the rainy season had arrived), loading the best pot available to American-kind and then detailing the abortive attempt to get back to the home country to sell the gear, the novel then moves back in time and shows how Long became such a key player in the dope trade and how he came to be flying a DC3 into the most dangerous of the Latin American badlands. Smokescreen looks likely to establish itself as more than an underground classic. Sabbag is a fine writer and Smokescreen is a riveting read that will appeal to a much wider audience than the heads and hippies who will relish smiling knowingly along with the author's counter-cultural references
luke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhys ifans as howard marks - should be cool! Smile
luke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres rhys on jonathan ross chatting a little about the mr nice film - it starts 3m57s in

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I capped that last night and forgot all about it - I blame the grouse

uploading the full interview now...
eirebadboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the book a few years back too, looking forward to the movie. Cheers for the interview.
luke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres the trailer!
Colston

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some extra work for the film... I'm in the quiet pub where he meets his mate again (Christian McKay) who is the spy... where he says you're a fucking spy... sat at the bar. Hope that scene is really long in the film and I'm in it!

Also in the audience when he does his speaking tour bit... not sure if that will be in film. Maybe.

I got asked as they said we won't have to change you to make you look like you're in the 70s.... charming. ;-)
luke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool Smile where abouts were they filming?
Colston

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
cool Smile where abouts were they filming?

They did the show at Bristol Old Vic and the pub scene I was in in a little village called St Donat's which is past Cardiff airport after Llantwit Major. Most filmed in and around Cardiff apart from foreign stuff which was done in Spain. Or they said they were off to Spain to finish off. First time I've done it and it was enjoyable seeing how things are done.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's really in your cocaine?
Howard Marks investigates
Starts 27th September 2010 on Current.tv

The use of illegal drugs is one of the most divisive issues in Britain today. With opinions ranging from those who want outright prohibition to those who believe in legalising even the strongest of narcotics, the battle lines are firmly drawn in this drug war.

For now, under the 1971 Misuse of Drugs Act, the likes of amphetamines, heroin, LSD and cocaine are all controlled substances. However, as others like meow meow – or mephedrone – are added to the list, we ask whether British drugs policy is on the right track.

Continuing our series of celebrity investigations into the issues that matter, writer, broadcaster and convicted drugs smuggler Howard Marks finds out which substances are illegal, explores the hidden human cost of an outright ban, and ponders what might happen if the drug laws were ripped up and all substances either decriminalised or legalised. Is it really high time for a change?

--------------

I'll try to get this series posted
Colston

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to see it tonight.

Typical boring biopic... 5.67/10 as a movie.

Ifans okay as Marks... Thewlis superb as mad IRA man.... but with me stealing the show as a random fat hairy bloke in a white shirt in the first couple of minutes and the last scene.

Particularly fond of my rising manfully to give the dope pedlar a round of applause. The way I bookended the movie will certainly have the academy banging on my door begging me to stand in the best supporting actor category.

I will of course gracefully deny them the pleasure of my company on Oscar night.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one Colston - I'll keep an eye out for you.

Though, how did you come up with 5.67 as a rating?! haha
luke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a shame to hear its not all that. i see some reviews a while back, must have been some early version, and they were saying it wasn't very good as well

i guess i'll just read the book again Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Videos, pics, audio, jokes, lists etc All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: