Britain to Canada - A search for help and ideas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Videos, pics, audio, jokes, lists etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandozilla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Britain to Canada - A search for help and ideas. Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I am a 23 year old student living in sunny Scotland (a joke i promise never to make again!). Since the age of 12 I have been fascinated with the beautiful country they call Canada. Firstly I could not understand how its people kept so quiet being located so close to USA, then the fact that a large amount of it is named after British towns, cities, roads, lochs, regions, patriots, poets... and then I saw the queen, which forced me to start my research. Now the idea of immigration to Canada has become a strong desire after spending a 4 day holiday there two years ago.

So why am I telling you all this? WELL:
This summer I have planned a trip to Canada where I intend to live, work and play for up to 10 weeks! I could not be happier... and equally I could not be more excited about what experiences I will have there.
So far I have decided that I am probably going to fly to Toronto at the end of May, work for a month or two, then travel from Toronto to Vancouver where I will fly back from ... whenever!

I wish to use this thread to reach anyone who has ideas or comments on this trip which will make it: easier, more enjoyable, cheaper, crazier..., but mostly I wish to get chatting with people on the couch.

I am more than happy (as if that is possible!!) to give more details of my plans regarding job types, areas I intend to visit/live and generally anything that would make this more specific and therefore easier to reply to, however I don't want to completely bore you... at least until I have grabbed your attention.

So if anyone wants to ask more or has any ideas or thought or just wants to say hello, all is welcome.

Thank you all for reading.

Mandozilla
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to meet you, Mandozilla.

I live in B.C. (one of those strangely-named locations to which you referred). I don't live in Vancouver or Victoria, but further inland among the mountains.

I suppose my suggestions on where you should visit would strongly depend on what types of activities you enjoy. If you could not live without the ability to eat any kind of food (Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican) at any hour of the day or easy access to any variety of shops, you would probably be quite happy in any major city like Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto or Montreal.

If, however, you prefer the out-of-doors to bricks and pavement (camping, skiing, hiking, mountain-biking, rafting), you would probably not be bored in the Kootenay region of B.C., an area that stretches roughly from the Okanagan Valley to the Alberta border.

If you could not feel at home without daily access to the Atlantic, you might enjoy the maritimes (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland). (I confess I've never been to any of these.)

Saskatchewan and Manitoba have wonderful lakes and sunsets (not to mention people with small-town attitudes, which is meant as a compliment).

I hope this gives you some ideas. (And my apologies to those whose regions I did not do justice.)
Mandozilla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Major,
I will be spending a fair amount of time in the Toronto area (somewhere between Toronto and Barrie, although i dream of Niagara on the lake!) and so any part of me that needs city life (minuscule at best) will be well exercised by that time. I do prefer the out-of-doors and this Kootenay region sounds like somewhere i would very much enjoy. I will look further into it however perhaps you could give me some idea of access as my time in the B.C area will be short (1 week) and i will not have a car.
Do you live in this area?
Saskatchewan and Manitoba sound like my cup of tea! Is there any one attraction (natural) that, in your opinion, I must visit in Canada?

Thank you very much for your reply,
Mandozilla

To all,
The types of jobs i am considering so far are: Farm laboring etc, construction laboring, school visit guide/any thing with kids (i am studying teaching), or any unskilled jobs... anyone got a farm? lol of course i am joking but maybe you know of an employer who takes on summer students... because to be honest I am not fixed on spending my time in Toronto.

What is traveling in Canada like on public transport, i have been told that if i am not living in the city, matching buses up with residing location and working location can be tricky, and I am finding this to be true!

Sorry for being so vague but I can continue to elaborate.

Mandozilla
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in London which is about 2 hrs from Toronto Smile

Getting around in a larger city with public transport is not bad but if you're trying to get from city to city, you'd either have to have a car or get a Greyhound bus --- quite reasonable from what I understand. We also have VIA rail which is the train that runs across the country, stopping at various locations. Even some quite small cities have a train station, so you might want to check that out. If you buy your tickets well in advance, you can usually get a good deal and probably travel for about the same price as the bus... and much more comfortable.

Plus, we have two decent UK stores, so you can get your fill of familiar food and treats Laughing

Unfortunately I don't have a farm although my city is unique in that we have little bits of "country" right in it and is a short drive to the "country" with proper farms.

Sometimes the company I work for does take on summer students and rumour has it, they are expanding our call centre soon, so if you're interested, PM me and I can give you the details.
Mandozilla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey eefanincan,
London sounds interesting! I did consider it and have not ruled it out. It all comes down to work I suppose. I have had a look at the Via train and hope to do at least half of my cross country in it (and Greyhound the rest). Looks like a great way to see the country although you are right, I have to book in advance,hope i can do it when i am in Canada because I am not sure when i will be working till etc.
Shame about you not having a farm! ha ha
I actually hope to get as far away from UK food as possible although i may pop in for sum sauce etc!

Thank you for your reply, I will be in touch.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandozilla wrote:
Is there any one attraction (natural) that, in your opinion, I must visit in Canada?

I would still love to see Niagra Falls, so it's probably on the top of my "to do" list for sights to see in Canada.

I moved to the West Kootenays (near Castlegar) nearly 4 years ago. It's a lovely area and the scenery never ceases to amaze me. Here's a small collection of pics I've taken.

Christina Lake

Frank Slide (located at Crowsnest Pass)

Kootenay Pass - I believe it's the highest stretch of road in Canada. (Apologies for the graininess; taken with my camera phone.)
Mandozilla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Major,
Those are some great views, looks like the area is gonna have to be on my list! I was lucky enough to see Niagara Falls on my short trip a few years ago. Something i am glad to tick off the list, although i am sure i will probably pay it a visit again!
Cheers

Mandozilla
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Videos, pics, audio, jokes, lists etc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: