How do I download this video?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nekokate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: How do I download this video? Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/content/articles/2009/02/12/yorks_lincs_betjeman_s15_w6_video_feature.shtml

The 30 minute video with the link "See the original un-broadcast John Betjeman film
"A poet goes north"" opens in WMP or Real Media, but as far as I can tell is un-downloadable.

Can anyone please tell me how to capture a copy? I'd rather like to have one Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, see when the player pops up and it says 'launch in standalone player'? Copy that link (it's an asx file) then you'll need a program like Streamdown to copy that url into - the file is on an RTSP server which needs a program like that.

Here it is CLICK. The programme doesn't work for me though, it has a voice saying 'this file is not available'.
nekokate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will it work for the .ram file? The asx version is offline, but the real media one is up. The link I get when I copy the shortcut for the "launch in standalone" is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/realmedia/insideout/westyorkshire/bb/090218_yorks_betjeman_internet_16x9_bb.ram

Will something like Streamdown capture that?

By the way, thank you so much for helping!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might do, but the problem will probably be with the UID code that the file has. It's probably linked into a single play using that, so it might not work.

Failing all that you could, considering it's such a low quality stream, use something like Camtasia which allows you to grab the video on screen and save it in the format you want.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to (start) saving the file using the following steps:
- use the standalone player link on the page
- select file/properties
- copy the .ask URL into a simple html file that looks like this:
[html][a href="paste_URL_here"]click me[/a][/html] (replace "[" and "]" with "<" and ">")
- open the html file in your web browser, right-click the link and save locally
- open the .asx file in a text editor
- copy the mms:// URL (in this case, mms://wm.bbc.net.uk/england/insideout/westyorkshire/nb/090218_yorks_betjeman_internet_16x9_nb.wmv) and paste that into a program called SDP Downloader (http://sdp.ppona.com)

This may be a little bother, but it does the trick.
nekokate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome, major, but the problem is the asx file is not working. I'm wanting the .RM file, which is apparently hosted on an RTSP, not an MMS. Your advice was based on trying to save the WMV, but the high quality WMV is not online, just the high quality Real Media file.

I really want this. Any other ideas? And thanks, again Smile

::EDIT::

I've just tried again what you've suggested and it seems to be working!!! This is great, thank you so much!!!!
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it didn't work at all. It downloaded the wmv version, not the RM version, which is about an 8mb file for 30 minutes and looks like a tiled mosaic rather than a video.

There has to be a way to get the high quality RM file!!! There has to be!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: