Memorial Day
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Annual celebrations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Memorial Day Reply with quote

For those in the US, what are you up to for the Memorial Day weekend? Along with the usual grilling, fun and sun, we (my bro and I) will be watching some war movies in honor of those did the fighting.
11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked outside landscaping yesterday and got up early to do the same this morning before it got too hot outside. I just got home from meeting friends for brunch downtown where I managed to drink a pitcher of mimosas. And the plans for tomorrow are the same, not the getting drunk part, the working in the yard part. Can't wait to grill tomorrow and watch the old favorite war films!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landscaping today, tomorrow will be bbq and car washing!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you all enjoy Memorial Day Smile
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memorial Weekend to me is Abbis Birthday.... May 26th .....We had a lovely day today and more grilling tomorrow .....I still feel like crap but a dose of nyquill and 3 rum and cokes did the trick........The kids were in the pool ..nutters the water was freezing .......but they didn't care ......we have poppies growing in the garden .......I miss the poppies we used to get in the uk to wear .......they don't have them here .....Colin was in the gulf war in 92 a Navy man ......and he watches war movies all the time ......the history channel and anything about planes ......

pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have poppies to wear in Philly? My mom volunteered for the Veterans club to give out poppies for a small donation in front of one of the supermarkets in Florida. It's just those cheapy fake poppies you put on your lapel of your shirt or jacket. Usually people donated anywhere from 50 cents to a few dollars. I'm sorry to hear your still not feeling well. I love nyquil too, it's good shit! LOL! I brought some to Denmark just in case..lol! Sounds like Abbi had a great time on her birthday. Good to hear. Get well soon!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I stood on a bridge near my home and watched the annual "Rolling Thunder" event (thousands upon thousands of motorcycles). You see the participants riding around the highways each day up until the event, but it was pretty amazing to see the huge gathering at the Pentagon.

Not a place for anti-war protesters, but, for so many of these former soldiers, you gotta give them their due. I'm always brought to tears when I see "kids" (late teens-early 20s -- oh hell, anyone for that matter!!) who are permanently disabled and/or undergoing strenuous rehab due to war injuries. Always drives home the message that "Freedom isn't Free." But this isn't meant to be a political rant, just reporting on the events of the day....... Cool

Official Site:
http://www.rollingthunder1.com/

Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
You don't have poppies to wear in Philly? My mom volunteered for the Veterans club to give out poppies for a small donation in front of one of the supermarkets in Florida. It's just those cheapy fake poppies you put on your lapel of your shirt or jacket. Usually people donated anywhere from 50 cents to a few dollars. I'm sorry to hear your still not feeling well. I love nyquil too, it's good shit! LOL! I brought some to Denmark just in case..lol! Sounds like Abbi had a great time on her birthday. Good to hear. Get well soon!

I had never seen the poppies for Memorial Day until I moved to the UK.

Hope you are enjoying Denmark

and Aja....hope you start feeling better soon and are 100% back to normal. Whatever that is Cool
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
pirtybirdy wrote:

and Aja....hope you start feeling better soon and are 100% back to normal. Whatever that is Cool

We had poppies when I was a kid (back in the dark ages..) and they were sort of a lost art and we often lament the passing of the poppy, but low and behold, Marcella found some this year and we are displaying them proudly!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
Skylace wrote:
pirtybirdy wrote:

We had poppies when I was a kid (back in the dark ages..) and they were sort of a lost art and we often lament the passing of the poppy, but low and behold, Marcella found some this year and we are displaying them proudly!

That is great. I just don't think they are a nation wide thing by any means. I actually grew up on Army bases as a kid and never saw them on Memorial day. It was more flags than flowers for sure.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the fake poppies being given out by VFW volunteers for donations mostly at the supermarkets. I've seen it in New York as well. I've not seen it as far as that goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought it would have been nice to remember our war heroes with this memorial day thread without it being "politicized". I guess that just can't happen here. That's unfortunate.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad suffered from PTSD after fighting in a completely pointless war and suffered from it for the next 30 years of his life - just as these poor unfortunates who haven't committed suicide are doing today. How can you complain about politicising it anyway? All recent wars have been nothing but political exercises.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to disagree with you that all recent wars are about political exercises. Sorry to hear about your dad's PTSD. I also have an uncle who suffered that as well from the Vietnam war.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Annual celebrations All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: