Walmart tactics prompt Truckers to a one day Strike

View previous topic :: View next topic  
radiomanpj

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Walmart tactics prompt Truckers to a one day Strike Reply with quote

With fuel prices rising and freight rates being pushed lower or being held in place
Truckers are holding a one day "strike" in protest.

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you take part pj? And are you an independent? It must be tough relying on government whims to determine whether you work in profit or not.
radiomanpj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I was off due to an inner ear problem and could not drive anyway. Sad
I however support the Owner/Operators in getting a real solution to the problem. thumbs
Unrealistically low fright prices are killing the industry. Mad

Don't even get me started about the shortage of drivers scream
Bat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$4 a gallon??????????????? That's cheap compared to UK prices. Diesel is now over $10 a gallon here.
There is a shortage of truck drivers over here too because they are going over to driving buses - better hours, more money and no overnight stops. I know 2 guys who are truckers and they are seriously considering going on the buses. I was going to do my truck licence but decided to do the bus one purely for financial reasons. Dealing with drunks and school kids and fare dodgers is a pain but you soon get used to it.
radiomanpj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price of fuel isn't the real problem. The amount of money they get paid for moving the freight is. When fuel costs go up and the amount you get for moving the freight stays the same or GOES DOWN you just can't make a living doing what you love. As for the driver shortage the big trucking companies have a turnover rate of 130% each!
Low pay, Poor working conditions, Stupid dispatchers, and being treated like a criminal make truck driving a "Sweatshop on wheels" Mad In the US we used to be able to get rest when we wanted to but now the rules say we can only drive 11 hours in the first 14 hours and the sleep that we can take must be for a total of 10 hours. If we want to take a nap and make it count towards the 10 it must be a 2 hour nap or a 8 hour nap. Mad We get paid by the mile for the most part so being delayed at a shipper costs the driver money and some companies only pay air mile route. if you are lucky you can get practical miles but NEVER the miles you actually drove. Then there are anti-Idling laws that say you can only run the truck for 5 minutes. 20 degrees and only 5 minutes +100 degrees and only 5 minutes Mad Ever try to get a good nights sleep like that? Dispatchers that don't know you are out of hours and give you a load you can't move and then write you up for "Not moving a load" or they give you the wrong address/directions. Mad Then there are "Lumper fees" we have to pay the person receiving the freight to unload the truck! "I am sorry, I know we ordered all this stuff but we don't unload freight so you will unload it, and stack it just the way we want it or we won't accept it." Mad then the shipper overloads the truck and says the load is legal. Off you go to the closest scales to check and when you get back they won't unload the extra because you accepted the load. Mad Yeah, Bus driving starts to look real good.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds hellish PJ - especially as that business is the backbone of the economy. There was a show on the other night about Eastern European truckers who get sent here on 24-36hr jobs actually asking the cops to stop them so they can get a rest and not get the sack...
Bat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Sounds hellish PJ - especially as that business is the backbone of the economy. There was a show on the other night about Eastern European truckers who get sent here on 24-36hr jobs actually asking the cops to stop them so they can get a rest and not get the sack...

It's not just the truckers getting shafted with the cheap labour coming over to UK. I (as you know) was a motorbike courier for nearly 20 years and in the last few years it was harder and harder to make a decent wage because most of the courier companies are taking on these fellas knowing that they will work all the hours they can and be happy at earning 1/2 to 3/4 of the wage I was getting. You just can't compete. And as PJ say's Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
radiomanpj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More from fox business news

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: