EE: What happens to stars after they leave....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, she played Ruth Fowler - that's who that is. I knew I recognised her, but couldn't remember where from.
Twirley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognised her and knew she had been married to Mark Fowler just couldn't remember her name. She still has that downturny mouth though.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life after EastEnders
nlnews@archant.co.uk
19 March 2008

AFTER spending more than 10 years as Martin Fowler in EastEndersr, James Alexandrou is about to hit the stage with a new drama. James, 22, of Chingford, Essex, honed his acting talents at the Anna Scher Theatre School in Barnsbury, Islington, before landing the part of Martin Fowler in the BBC1 soap EastEnders in 1996.

The Islington-born actor said: "I loved every moment of my time at Anna Scher's. I was there every Friday and Saturday. "I met Reggie Yates, the presenter, there and Natalie Cassidy who played Sonia in EastEnders. My mum sent me and brothers there to keep us off the streets and thenn when I left schooln I realised that acting was something I wanted to do for the rest of my life." Now James is set to star in the play In My Name at the Old Red Lion theatre in St John Street, Islington.

He said: "I'm learning lines at the moment and it's definitely the most tedious part of the job. This script is 80 pages, so it'll take me a good few days. So far I haven't made any big mistakes on stage but I suppose there is always a first time. I'm looking to do more stage stuff now. Now I've left EastEnders it has left me with a lot more freedom to explore what I want to do. To be able to just pick and choose your jobs and not have the ongoing commitments of a soap is great."

In My Name is an insight into the consequences of allowing life to pass you by. The production will see James starring as Grim, who finds himself with a new and slightly psychotic flatmate called Egg. James said: "It starts with a terror attack in London. When our characters order a takeaway, Egg decides that the deliveryman must be a terrorist and kidnaps him.

Also starring in In My Name is Ray Panthaki, who played Ronny Ferreira in EastEnders. James said: "It's great having Ray in the same play as we didn't know that we were both going for parts. It's nice to have that familiarity. I'm still in touch with a few of the old EastEnders crew - like Natalie Cassidy and Joe Swash who played Mickey Miller. Me and Natalie are like family as we pretty much grew up together. I was 11 and she was 13 when we started Eastenders and we worked closely together till the end."

Having spent almost half of his life playing Martin Fowler in Albert Square, James felt that there was more to be achieved in life. He said: "I'm immensely proud of EastEnders but there is a stigma attached to being in a soap for too long. I think Michelle Ryan and Tamzin Outhwaite have helped to change all that with their success though. I can see myself doing some work on films in Hollywood some day, but there's plenty of time for that and there's a long way to go first.

Despite living in Chingford, James has fond memories of Islington and can't help but be tempted back on a regular basis. He said: "Islington is like a home away from home for me. I've got a lot of friends who live there and I seem to be there at least once a week to have a night out. I particularly like Upper Street and Camden Passage and there's a lot of good restaurants in the borough."

In My Name, is at the Old Red Lion Theatre, St John Street, EC1, from March 25 to April 12.

------------

two for the price of one!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the read Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trialand Inspiration
Mar 23 2008
By Steve Hendry

WHEN Caroline Paterson was asked to play a policewoman in Coronation Street, the first thing she did was ask TV detective David Hayman for advice. The former EastEnders and River City actress spoke to her friend - who has played Chief Superintendent Mike Walker in Trial And Retribution for more than 10 years - after being hired to fight crime in Weatherfield. Her character is investigating Gail Platt's (Helen Worth) tumble down the stairs after being pushed by dastardly son David (Jack P. Shepherd). But the Scots star admitted she needed some pointers to play DC Weller because she usually plays characters on the wrong side of the law.

She said: "Nobody's ever asked me to play a policewoman before - I'm always the junkie or a criminal. As soon as they asked me to be a detective I was like, 'OK, I'll do it.' "I asked David Hayman about it and said, 'How can you do this 20 questions thing? Do you not get bored always asking the questions?' "But he says there is a knack to it and told me to try this and that. I don't know if I could do it long term but it was a great experience. It was just so funny to be on the right side of the law."

Caroline, 42, enjoyed her return to soap - although it reminded her how tough working on serial drama is. She spent five years in Albert Square as dowdy Ruth Fowler, who married HIV positive Mark, played by Todd Carty. Their highs and many lows included fostering a daughter but having to return her to her natural mother and Ruth having an affair with Mark's cousin Conor Flaherty (Sean Gleeson). Caroline also appeared in River City in 2004 as - true to form - drug addict and prostitute Patricia Cullen, mother of Zoe (Laura McMonagle) and Nicki (Jayd Johnson).

She spent four weeks filming Coronation Street in Manchester and first appeared on screen last week when Gail was found unconscious after being shoved by David, who was furious she had encouraged his girlfriend to have an abortion. The wayward teenager claims he has no idea what happened to his mum. This week, Gail returns home in a wheelchair suffering from memory loss - and her scheming son is trying to make sure she does not remember anything. But suspicious DC Wellard is probing around aiming to discover the truth.

Caroline said: "Did I get any memories of being in a big soap? Oh yes. One of the actors said, 'Oh God I've got 16 scenes today.' I remember that. Some days on EastEnders were never ending. You never stop talking. The sets are all the same really so it brought back memories of the Fowlers. But the people on Coronation Street were very chilled, which surprised me. When I did EastEnders sometimes it would be really pressured. I didn't feel that at all on Corrie. They have a very relaxed way about them. The people were great. I don't know if it's that northern thing but they were all very warm and welcoming. It was brilliant because I was a wee bit anxious."

But much as she enjoyed her stint on Corrie, Caroline has no plans to return to soap full-time - even though some of her old co-stars are making a comeback. Sid Owen and Patsy Palmer - better known as gullible mechanic Ricky Butcher and his gobby ex-wife Bianca - are on the way back to Walford. Caroline - who lives in London with partner Claudio Carnovale and children Louis, 10, and Ruby, six - said: "Ricky and Bianca are back and I think that's great. They are a great couple and it was a shame they left in the first place. They'll be right back into it in no time at all. I would find it really hard to do it again. Maybe it's because I've got two kids now.When I was in it I didn't have any. I'd have to get nannies and all that sort of thing and I don't know if I want to do that. I prefer to dip in. If you stay somewhere too long you can lose that zip. Four or five years in a soap full-time was more than enough."

Caroline will soon be seen in an upcoming episode of daytime soap Doctors and has appeared in The Bill, Spooks and the hard-hitting drama Rehab. But the actress - who founded Scots theatre group Raindog with ex-boyfriend Robert Carlyle - has also carved out a career as a director. She won a Scottish Bafta in 2000 for her work on BBC Scotland's clubbing drama Tinsel Town and was behind the camera for hit internet drama Jcn16. She now plans to shoot a feature film in Scotland.

She said: "I'm hoping to come up in the summer and myself and Stuart Davids, co-director at Raindog, are hoping to direct our first full budget feature. We've got David Hayman on board and we'll find out at the end of March whether all our funding bodies say yes. It's really exciting but I'mtoo cynical to believe it's going to happen until I'm in Glasgow shouting action. We've always wanted to make a full-length feature. It's a state-of-the-nation piece with young, unknown kids in it, which is why it's difficult to find commercial funding. It will be fantastic - but I'm so busy at the moment it's hard to see past next week never mind the summer."

-------------------
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twirley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think that it is the same night? She's got different shoes on!

Mmmm.....

She is looking quite stunning though.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twirley wrote:

She is looking quite stunning though.

Indeed! And wearing horizontal stripes Laughing

Good for Natalie!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think she was binned because they disliked her acting, but that the show itself sucked. It's been done already and it's boring. I know some people liked it, but not enough to keep it on prime time. Best of luck to her. Maybe comedy is her new thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the same about that show too. She did as good as the writers allowed.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mind it, but will agree, the writing just wasn't up to snuff. Although, to be fair, most series take a good season to get going.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well good luck to her. I didn't think she was going to make it over here with "Bionic Woman" Nothing to do with her but I can't think of one person who said they were looking forward to that remake.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendy Richard in her new role on Benidorm

CLICK HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: