Got a big vid file that needs converting? Use this maybe...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Got a big vid file that needs converting? Use this maybe... Reply with quote

I had a bunch of rather large files (Video, HiDef video to be exact, between 10GB & 43GB each) that my father-in-law wanted on his laptop to view whilst traveling over the holiday period...

The biggest problem was the size of the files as he only has 160GB of space...

After a quick chat I found he's not bothered about the overall quality so long as it's watchable on his 17inch laptop monitor & it sounds reasonable over headphones.
(It's not going to be hooked up to a TV as we do it here)

Rather than jump through hoops with all the pro stuff (various high end apps I have) I needed a quick & simple option, problem being most of the smaller apps available won't support .mkv / 264 etc... those that do, well they still attempt to maintain quality with little to no user prefs for sound / size etc & usualy take between real time & tripple real time to do the job.

Then I stumbled upon the qualities of a music / video player I was thinking about using to replace winamp...

Cowan JetAudio 7.05

This little bugger (less than a 22mb download at a site near you) does a damn good job of it...
TBH the best settings on a 10GB take a bit longer than real time but only by 7% longer... the worst settings / quality does the job in approx 70% of real time.

SOoooooooooooooooo...
Why use this rather than the more pro ones when it's still not saving that much time?

I shall tell you...
It does what it's supposed to do without a huge learning curve, the end result is the same quality of the huge apps on the pro side of things that scare the pants off of most users.
It will take any format & convert it to any format (mostly used to shrink things down for iPlods & the like) with a nice range of settings for outputs, you can adjust Frame size, rate & even the audio quality with a few simple clicks.

I have to say that the finished files are pretty damn good after a side by side comparison with one done in prem' pro'.

The app aslo coverts audio formats, is a music / video player, internet radio dodad & a few bits more.

Funny enough, I was going to erase it off my drives Friday but couldn't be arsed, kinda' glad I procrastinated.

If anybody wants a copy let me know.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds interesting, I've been using Super for a good while as it converts everything I've tried, even keeping the audio synced from mpeg2 - avi conversions (others wouldn't account for dropped frames), but I'm always up for trying something new.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
sounds interesting, I've been using Super for a good while as it converts everything I've tried, even keeping the audio synced from mpeg2 - avi conversions (others wouldn't account for dropped frames), but I'm always up for trying something new.

Take a peek in the private section Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: