EE: Janine's return
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see Shirley and Janine go at it --- now that'd be a catfight!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janine and Denise would be pretty explosive too...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EastEnders: Vey out of line!
By Jennifer Wiley,
14/12/2008

THE schmoozing turns to violence as snarling schemer Janine weds at the synagogue, in EastEnders. The rabbi drags her back as she lunges to wallop Pat for trying to ruin her marriage to a filthy-rich old bloke. Instead of being able to throw her bouquet, Janine (Charlie Brooks) throws a mighty tantrum.

She is confident that she has got away with her plan to take on a false identity to wed into money. Her brother Ricky (Sid Owen) and old flame Billy (Perry Fenwick) turn up but keep quiet as they think she’s kosher and happy. But former stepmum Pat (Pam St Clement) sees through the acting as the ceremony is coming to a close. She shouts for Janine to tell the truth and stop the farce.

The bride pretends she has no idea who Pat is — then she loses her cool. Will Janine get her man and his cheque book? See what happens on December 18.
11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

EastEnders: Vey out of line!
By Jennifer Wiley,
14/12/2008

See what happens on December 18.
The run up to this has been fun. Dr. Legg, Dot, Pat, Billy, Ricky...the newspaper. Today is the 18th so I'm tuning in. Doesn't the pic look like Pat's going to be on the receiving end of a fist in the next frame?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Night's TV
Tim Teeman

Are you decent?” the daughter of the bridegroom asked, as she knocked on the door of the bride’s bedroom. “Not if I can help it,” replied the bride, under her breath. And so, hallelujah, Janine Butcher returned to EastEnders, her badness very much intact though masked for much of the time behind a smile and a head of bouncing curls. Oh, and a newly-found belief in Judaism. She was about to marry a very elderly man. Her best friend Billy and her brother Ricky (never bright but loyal, like an ageing dog who sometimes dreams of another life but is yolked to their owner’s side) set out to stop the wedding.

The logic of their intervention followed historical precedent: or to put it in plainer terms, Janine has form. A few years ago, she pushed — everyone says she pushed, I still think he tripped — her new husband Barry to his death while on honeymoon in Scotland. (It’s soap lore that you leave your geographical home at your peril.) Then Laura Beale fell to her death after a scrap with Janine. Laura really did trip, but Pat Evans, Albert Square’s law enforcer in faux fur and chandelier ear-rings, tried to frame Janine for Laura’s death to avenge the death of Barry, her son-in-law.

It wasn’t to be. Pat, for all her hinterland of being a former prostitute, is fundamentally honest, although she’s still handy as she has shown in her “You cahhhh” slapfests with Peggy and that totally Bad Girls run-in with scary Shirley over the bonnet of a car. Anyway, she couldn’t perjure herself in court, especially with her dear Frank begging her to show mercy to his daughter. Janine walked free and we last saw her at Frank’s funeral, crying pretty genuinely.

We have missed her. As someone said: “You have to admit, things are usually a bit more interesting when she’s about.”

Billy said they had to save her would-be Jewish husband from the same fate suffered by Barry. That got Ricky thinking (you could hear the cogs grinding painfully) about “faaaamily”. But he was all over the place: suddenly Janine was “poison”. On Tuesday, both men seemed to reach the conclusion that by saving the old guy from Janine they were saving her from herself. This is seriously enlightened — and so, when it comes to Ricky and Billy, seriously unconvincing.

Pat, as ever, was on the money. Her eye make-up typically understated (if you can call a bleeding Hawaiian sunset understated), she said wisely: “This is foolish and it will end badly.” On Tuesday, Pat laboured a metaphor about her being a car and Janine the rust: “I want to keep my wings in good order,” she said — not an easy line to say with a straight face and pendulous jewellery.

Ricky and Billy were not to be deterred and went off to offend racially a congregation at synagogue. For the purpose of her latest scheme — unless, as Billy fleetingly thought, she really loved her beau — Janine had morphed into “Judith Bernstein”. The old man’s daughter was suspicious of the two men. Ricky’s, “We’re not Orthodox, we’re unorthodox” did not help to allay those fears. Back in Albert Square, Pat put on her battledress (faux fur, maximum bristle), and prepared to stage her own intervention.

The ceremony continued, Billy and Ricky puzzlingly said nothing, apart from how happy Janine seemed (ah, a twist, has our dark lady discovered the light?), and Janine got married. But after the ceremony ended Pat’s high-pitched “Janeeeeeennnn”, resounding like a thunderclap, was just the thing to change the new pearly smile of Janine’s to the grimace of scornful disdain we were so used to.

Of course she hadn’t changed. Pat’s pièce de résistance to the stunned wedding party — “Her name is Janine Butcher and she’s about as Jewish as a bacon sandwich” (ooooo, writer Julia Honour, you had fun with that) — sets us up for the return of our favourite villainess to Albert Square. The clunking sound you hear is nervous wives locking their front doors.
11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep meaning to tell you what a good article that was Face. i know you don't have time to read every word of every story you post for us but if you saw the episode, I know you'll agree the article was spot on.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do skim over everything I post. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I get so many new reports popping up that it's worth posting the odd one that at least seems well written,
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Brooks: ‘I’m a single mum - but I feel strong, powerful and sexy’
Charlie Brooks, 27, on returning to her EastEnders role as the ultimate bad girl, controlling her weight loss, wanting to fall in love, and fancying fat men with beards
Lara Kilner
26/04/2009
mirror.co.uk

Charlie Brooks has been back in EastEnders as Janine Butcher – the malicious minx whose name can never be uttered without the word ‘evil’ being attached – for four months now. She spends her days on-set being ‘a miserable cow’, when, in reality, she’s a happy, friendly sort. So we thought we’d give her something to smile about, by dolling her up in some gorgeous get-up for our lovely shoot. And then we had a good goss with the 27-year-old (who is mum to daughter Kiki, four) about her return to Albert Square and staying slender (she’s in perfect shape and, for the record, eats sushi, salad and tofu – with a few Kettle Chips thrown in for good measure – while we talk). Oh, and how she’d like to fall in love with a real man with a big beard and a bit of a belly…

On life back at EastEnders…
‘I felt like the new girl again. I didn’t know anyone – there were only about 10 people out of a cast of 52 who I’d worked with before. Even when I’d been back there for two months, I still hadn’t met half the cast. But it doesn’t take long. There’s a lovely atmosphere there, it’s a nice place to be. And other than the cast, everything is exactly the same, all the props boys and camera men behind the scenes – their bellies have grown and they’ve got a few more wrinkles, but that’s all that’s changed. And I’m a little bit more grown-up and more comfortable in my own skin, so I’m able to enjoy it much more.’

On deciding to go back…
‘I’d only just left when EastEnders wanted me to go back for Janine’s trial [she was framed for Laura’s murder], so it felt too soon, plus I was pregnant. But, in hindsight, I probably should have gone back and done it, it would have been a good thing to do. But I went back to do Frank’s funeral and I had a good time and thought, “F**k it, let’s do it, the time is right”. I had doubts to begin with, mainly because of Kiki, as I know how full-on EastEnders can be, and then there’s that stigma about going back to a soap. But I’m so pleased I did, it was the right decision. Especially with what’s going on at the moment, I feel really lucky to have a job and I need the security because of Kiki. I was just going to go back for a year, but I had a meeting with the boss last week and we’re going to go for another year. So lots more time to get up to much mischief…’

On playing that evil Janine…
‘I’d like to explore the vulnerable side of Janine. Not that I want her to sit there and be all, “Poor me, I’ve had a hard life, this is why I’m a vile person”, but I think there are moments we could see a deeper side to her. I’m such a miserable cow. It’s difficult sometimes, when you feel happy – it’s like, “I don’t want to do this, I’m in a really good mood”. I want a love story, I’d like to be able to smile on screen. Who with? Hmm, who’s fanciable? Scott Maslen (Jack Branning), definitely. Jake Wood (Max Branning). Mark Elliot, who is a new character, Syed Masood. Oh, and Dr Jenkins, Adam Croasdell. Gorgeous. Actually, f**king hell, there’s loads. But Janine is such an unattractive character in every way, no one is going to fancy her. I know people can’t stand me.’

On success away from Walford…
‘I had times where I didn’t work for four months and I’d be like, “Oh God”. But every actress goes through that and I did some really nice stuff, like Bleak House, and my favourite job was a play I did up in Liverpool, Our Country’s Good. I went up for a lot of jobs that I didn’t get – all the dramas you see on TV, we all go up for it, me, Georgia Taylor, Joanne Froggatt, all girls who started in soaps. There is typecasting that can go against you, like there was a great part in Waking The Dead I really wanted to do. But I was very lucky, I did OK.’

On being a single mum…
‘It’s fine, but it can be hard when I’m working from 7am to 7pm and I won’t see Kiki in the morning or the evening, and if that goes on for a few days then that’s horrible, but it varies, so it’s not all the time. My ex, Tony, looks after her when I’m working. We’re still close and good friends – he drives me nuts but I love him. Kiki kind of gets what I do. She’s watched me kiss Archie on screen and she’s like, “What’s my mummy doing?” She wants to be in there too – it’s ridiculous, she’s so outgoing. She did a school show and the other little girls were all shy and demure, but Kiki got up and belted out, “Money, money, money, must be funny, in a rich man’s world”. I don’t think she needs to go to stage school – she needs to go to an all-girls, private, chained-to-the-seats school where she’ll be taught by nuns.

And being single…
‘I’ve been dating, there’ve been a few complications but nobody significant at the moment. I really want to fall in love, I do. But I’m alright with being single, I feel liberated, I’m in a good place, I feel strong and powerful. Losing weight in recent years has made me feel more confident and I do feel sexier. I don’t get chatted up really, sometimes, I suppose, but when I go out it’s to the pub or for dinner with friends, so I’m not going to meet anyone there. It can be hard. I’ll go out and there’ll be a gorgeous guy looking at me and I’m like, “He’s checking me out” and then I think, “F*ck it, I’m on the telly, he’s just recognised me”. It’s always disheartening.’

On her type of man…
‘All good-looking men lose their looks, and most of them are d*ckheads. Or too cool for school. I like a real man, all man. I don’t mind a bit of a belly and I’m not into muscles. I’m into facial hair and I love beards. I’m describing Justin Lee Collins? Oh, I’d happily go on a date with him. And look at my ex, Tony, bless him. It’s all about personality.’

On fame…
‘I’m just starting to notice it again. The attention died down when I wasn’t on EastEnders, but you get so much recognition from a soap and people think they know you so they come up to you and touch you. I’ve had it since I was 17 so I’m used to it, but it was nice for four years to get less attention. I don’t get lots of abuse in the streets, people just laugh at me generally – it’s like, “Ha ha, there’s Janine”. When I was younger, going out in town, girls would try to start a fight, but I go to different places now. A woman came up to me in Fenwick the other day and said, “You make me ill three times a week.” And I get letters saying, “I’m a troubled girl, I’m just like you.” It’s like, “Erm, here’s a signed picture.”’

On losing weight…
‘For me, it was a lifestyle change and it’s about balance. It just made me aware of all the crap I was eating. Being thin is part of what goes with my skin being better, my nails being stronger, all-round being healthier. It’s a shame, what happened to Natalie Cassidy. It’s sad she lost control of it and I can understand how people become obsessed. She’s been given a lot of grief and I feel sorry she fell in to an eating disorder from the pressure she probably put on herself.’

How Charlie keeps svelte
‘I have a trainer sometimes, or I’ll get up and do a keep-fit DVD with Kiki – who makes it difficult for me because she’ll be sitting on my back. But it’s an easy way of staying on top of exercise when I can’t get to the gym. Diet-wise, porridge with natural yogurt, honey and cinnamon is my favourite breakfast – although I do like a fry-up at the weekend. I have salmon with salad and asparagus and purple sprouting brocolli for lunch, and then a lighter dinner. Wine is my downfall, I’m really into it, and food wise, I f**king love everything. I love to make steak with a cream sauce and drink a whole bottle of red wine while I’m cooking it. And I love peanut butter and jam on white bread, but I just have to keep it in check. It’s all about balance.’

----------------

she's looking pretty good in that photo!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear the real "Janine" rather than just her character. She does a great job at being evil Laughing
Twirley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wil be pleased to hear that I saw her in Chiswick a few years back...when she'd just left EE...and I definitely recognised her and she could tell, but I just walked past and left her to her privacy. I did have to tell my husband who she was though when we got about 30 yards away. Oooh, I'm such a sucker for stars.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Brooks to stay as Janine
22nd June 2009

Charlie Brooks is set to stay in Albert Square for the foreseeable future. Her ex-boyfriend Tony Truman has confirmed the actress signed a contract with EastEnders to last for three more years. "Charlie's just signed a three-year contract to keep playing Janine - she loves getting all the wicked story lines," he told Closer magazine.

The event organiser, who is father of Charlie's daughter Kiki, said the pair still get on like a house on fire He said: "We're still like bezzie mates, I love it when she visits me in Ibiza with Kiki - we have so much fun in the sun."

The full interview appears in Closer magazine, on sale today.
Twirley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Let's see what wickedness they cook up for her over the coming few years. She needs a new love interest, that's for sure!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twirley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwww....it's a shame. I thought her & Ryan were a good couple. I hope the fact that they say "trying" means she doesn't bump him off. I like Ryan...and the actor isn't too bad on the eyes either! :-)
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Twirls. I am hoping this is just attempted murder. I have liked them together but I didn't think Janine would be able to share Ryan, even with a baby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: