Stuffing Recipes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Stuffing Recipes Reply with quote

Anyone have a favourite stuffing that they like? My mum always makes stuff from the box, so I'm dying to try something new. I'd love something that tastes flavourful not just "salty". My M-I-L usually makes her own stuffing but it tastes just like bread and sange -- and nothing else.

If you have a favourite -- post 'em up. And any recipes that you might make that use leftover stuffing.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to make stuffing... Smile

The one I will be using on Tuesday will consist of the following:
(I kinda cheat a bit with this one as it's quick & I have enough to cook)

1 Pkt pepperidge farm sage & onion stuffing
1 pkt of garlic croutons
1/2 lb of bacon that is cooked xtra crispy & left aside for 10 min.s
1 Tangerine
1 lemon
1 medium sweet onion diced
1 tbls of brown sugar (to add to the onions)
1/2 dozen fresh roasted garlic cloves
Some duck or goose fat / grease
Soy sauce
Vegtable stock
1 tbls of Fresh ginger pounded to a pulp
Fresh ground black pepper
Pinch of each: Paprika, garam masala
& 1/2 the water as per the store bought stuffing.... ohh same for the butter...

I squeeze the lemon & tangerine into the water with enough veg stock to bring up to package requirements, add the soy sauce & start warming them together in a pan.
As this is warming I split the butter portion in 1/2 (butter as per stuffing mix)
Heat a portion of the butter in a frying pan, cook the diced onion until golden, take them off the heat & sprinkle the sugar, black pepper, paprika & garam masala on & add the roasted garlic (chopped)... cover & let it all sweat a bit...

I now add the rest of the butter to the water... along with the fresh ginger... ohh the steam is soooo good now.
Start adding the sage & onion (cheat) mix into the water, as this starts to swell up with the water mix, pour in the contents of the frying pan...

Blend this together well in the larger pan / pot...
Now crush that crispy bacon... add to the mixture.

Buy now you have what looks like the good old stodgy mush that is store bought stuffing with a few extra bits (well it ain't far off that lol)...

It's now time to add the croutons, these take on any xtra moisture & can remain nice and crisp in parts...

Grease a flat sheet or shallow tin with duck or goose fat / grease (Turkey fat will work, as will chicken), form balls of stuffing that are about the size of a scoop of ice cream...
Place the balls on the sheet (in the pan), squish them a bit... drizzle with more of the greas / fat used on the surface...

Pop them into the oven & let them crisp up on the outside whilst your Goose / Duck / Turkey / Ham whatever is cooking...
You don't want them too dry... so watch them... maybe baste them once or twice (it's not a science)...

End result, a tasty slant on sage & onion stuffing that are presented as individual portions, crisp on the outside, moist in the middle & great with gravy...

Any left over (if any) get stored in the fridge & are added to a turkey soup on the 27th Smile

Ohhh & I have been known to use other basic stuffings as a base, sage & onion is just what I prefer for myself...
You can go crazy & add loadsa dif' things, I have addd Cranberries (soaked in whiskey), golden saltanas, cooked & sliced chipollata sausages, oysters etc... (just not all at once).
11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow DV8 that sounds just wonderful and very different from our usual. I'm doing Italian for Christmas this year, but we do a turkey dinner every couple of months through out the year just because we like turkey. Next time I'm going to try your stuffing.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good Joker ...... But Alas !! after trying out new ideas many a time .....I still love my old fave ......Paxo sage and onion ......I get it sent twice a year with my supply of beef and chicken oxos Very Happy

sorry cant help you EEFan Sad
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have made homemade I just use Stovetop, I'm a bit lazy when it comes to stuffing Laughing
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
That sounds good Joker ...... But Alas !! after trying out new ideas many a time .....I still love my old fave ......Paxo sage and onion ......I get it sent twice a year with my supply of beef and chicken oxos Very Happy

No worries, Aja! Actually, my mum uses Paxo as well, and I do find it the best of all the stuffings, but thought I'd want to try something different.

I'm wondering though, if the Paxo in the UK is different than here. Here, ours is the size of a box of Stove Top or Uncle Ben's stuffing. But when I was in the British store yesterday, I noticed that they were also selling Paxo, but the box was about one-quarter the size and it said that it "Feeds 4-6 people" ------ does it magically plump up or something?

In any case, if you need a supply Aja, let me know, I can always mail to you.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add...

Never ever ever eat stuffing at my In-laws... yuckkkkkkk

Mother-in-law insists on using the Giblets from a turkey with chicken livers & sausage meat mixed with a loaf of cheap bread then doused with what appears to be LARD from her year old collection of animal fats...
This is pushed into the bird & rarely gets cooked 100%

She does a nasty gravy too with parts of the giblets she deems is not good enough for stuffing... a watery, giblet infested 5 inch thick layer of oil style gravy...

Thank heavens they have started to 'go away' over Xmas or visit us & banned from the kitchen... 2 years worth was enough... dry turkey & a brussle sprout was all I could manage.. ohhh the shame.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
Aja wrote:

No worries, Aja! Actually, my mum uses Paxo as well, and I do find it the best of all the stuffings, but thought I'd want to try something different.

I'm wondering though, if the Paxo in the UK is different than here. Here, ours is the size of a box of Stove Top or Uncle Ben's stuffing. But when I was in the British store yesterday, I noticed that they were also selling Paxo, but the box was about one-quarter the size and it said that it "Feeds 4-6 people" ------ does it magically plump up or something?

In any case, if you need a supply Aja, let me know, I can always mail to you.

erm I have no idea what they are giving U in Canada EEfan Very Happy I use those lil boxes and use 2 for a 18 pound plus Turkey and yes i stuff the turkey with it .......sorry Joker Smile ....but I do boil the giblets and stuff and give to the KILO.... I have tried doing the paxo seperate ...but the Turkey is missing something if i do that ......and yes EEFan all English stuff accepted here Smile thanks for the offer .....I wanted to make mince pies tomorrow and they wanted 10 bucks for a tiny Jar of mincemeat......so no mince pies ...what a rip off ..it would of made about 5 mini pies grrrrrr
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
I forgot to add...

Never ever ever eat stuffing at my In-laws... yuckkkkkkk

Mother-in-law insists on using the Giblets from a turkey with chicken livers & sausage meat mixed with a loaf of cheap bread then doused with what appears to be LARD from her year old collection of animal fats...
This is pushed into the bird & rarely gets cooked 100%

She does a nasty gravy too with parts of the giblets she deems is not good enough for stuffing... a watery, giblet infested 5 inch thick layer of oil style gravy...

Thank heavens they have started to 'go away' over Xmas or visit us & banned from the kitchen... 2 years worth was enough... dry turkey & a brussle sprout was all I could manage.. ohhh the shame.

Are You sure your M I L is not my mum ...... Smile last time I went there for dinner was 1979.. and everything was cooked in the pressure cooker crazed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: