Ron White
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Ron White Reply with quote

Ron White keeps 'em rolling in the aisles
By ROBERT LOPEZ, The Enterprise
09/29/2007

The laughter seldom let up at the Julie Rogers Theatre Friday night as the cigar-smoking Ron White took the stage and offered up his views on military spending, Latin American real estate schemes and stinky paper mills. A sold-out crowd, sporting nice dresses and Tater Salad T-shirts, greeted the 50-year-old comedian who is best known for work alongside Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall and Larry the Cable Guy on the "Blue Collar Comedy Tour."

The evening kicked off around 7:30 with a performance by flame-haired Austin comedian Nancy Reed, who struck a chord with some jokes about the Gulf Coast region. "I used to think Kansas sucked," she said. "But then I saw Pasadena, Texas ... The air is always greener in Pasadena."

White, came to the stage about 8, dressed in a black suit and red shirt, cigar in one hand, glass tumbler in the other, with a bottle of whiskey waiting for him on a stool next to the mic-stand. The gray-haired funnyman also poked fun at the area, and talked about getting sued by Crown Paper because he made a joke about the smell emanating from their Houston mill. The bit elicited one of loudest crowd responses of the night.

"It's like I let some big cat of the bag, like people didn't know it stunk until I let the cat out of the bag," he said. "I grew up next to there, so I thought the whole world smelled like that. Later (after he moved away) I was out and was like 'That smells great, what is that?' It was a sewer treatment plant. They should bottle that up and sell it to the people in Houston."

White then brought up a Houston Chronicle story that mentioned that on some days, more than 2 million people could smell what was coming out of the paper mill. "If it was music and 2 million people could hear it, they'd make you shut it the fuck off," he said.

He offered up an elaborate scheme to sell off real estate to foreign countries to fund the war in Iraq and take over Mexico and Central America in the process. White also proposed scrapping the color-coded alert system and replacing it with one that consists basically of "go out and buy a helmet," and "put the helmet on."

And he didn't refrain from making fun of his fellow "Blue Collar" comedians either. "I'm doing a show 'Are You Smarter than Larry the Cable Guy,'" he said, referencing the popular "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader' hosted by Foxworthy. "The good thing is everybody wins. Just show up and you get a boat. I have a feeling it's going to be very popular."

Interview On IGN (audio)

------------------

This guy was the only one of the comedians on the Blue Collar Comedy Tour dvds that I thought was any good. He's just old-school and funny. He's not exactly cutting the edge of political satire, but his honesty about real things like drinking and smoking is great to hear...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Tater Salad!
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Face. I've never heard him before so I'll give him a whirl!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go - DOWNLOAD
TheCaptain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloading now - I'll give it a spin.

Cheers

TheCaptain.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just listened to this again and I reckon I must have been pretty drunk in my house when I originally heard it, and didn't get that far in - ah well, there's some good stuff there all the same.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched one or two of his stand ups on comedy central and enjoyed it. Sometimes on a comedy album though, you only get a piece of some good comedy, sort of like when you buy a music album and only two songs are good and the rest is ear bleeding shite. I loved his Tater Salad bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that's probably the best analogy pirty - shame though.
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to this last night and I wasn't actually that impressed. He's witty and quick, but just a little bit too much hick and not enough Hicks.

I'd hate to live where he lives, where people get kicked out of a bar because "faggots wear hats". Yikes!
TheCaptain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, back to Russell Brand then.

My compliments...
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb....he's an odd guy, but he's great...larry the cable guy ain't to bad either from the comedy tour, but not so keen on the others.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comedian denies claim that he threatened pilots
By Jose Pagliery
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
27/06/08

Texas comedian Ron White often jokes about nearly crashing while on planes, but this one might have been for real. Federal Aviation Administration officials are investigating a claim made by two of the comedian's former pilots who say a drunken White nearly caused them to crash May 11 over New York.

The pilots, who live near Atlanta, said White burst into the private jet's cockpit and threatened to fight them and crash the plane. "He was there, and he wasn't real happy. In fact, he was real angry," one said.

White's plane, en route from Ithaca, N.Y., to Peacetree-DeKalb Airport, was flying 28,000 feet above New York City when both pilots requested to divert the aircraft to the nearest airport for safety reasons, "I wanted to get the airplane on the ground because it was a threat at that point. The safety of the airplane was being jeopardized," the pilot said.

Lawrenceville attorney Terry Lloyd, representing White, said the pilots' statements were false and a case of disgruntled former employees who didn't get paid what they asked for. White, the owner of the airplane, fired both pilots the day after the incident.

FAA spokesperson Les Dorr explained that any person who physically assaults a flight crew member or threatens to do so is subject to a $25,000 penalty. Both pilots said FAA officials on the ground heard and taped the entire conversation because White burst in while they were talking to controllers in the New York air traffic control center.

Kerry R. Lane, an FAA safety officer in New York, said the tapes no longer exist —- they were erased after 15 days. The deletion, he said, is normal procedure. Lloyd said, "The allegations will not withstand scrutiny."

--------------------
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling he's a drunk in real life. Now that the tape doesn't exist, not sure what kind of trouble he can get into. FAA officials could be witnesses, but I don't know if that falls under "hearsay". That was uncool what he did, if he did it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron White Busted with Marijuana
Sep 11, 2008 04:29 PM

Comedian Ron White's run-ins with the law make up a big part of his act on the popular "Blue Collar Comedy Tour". Now he's got some fresh material.

White was arrested for marijuana possession and possession of drug paraphernalia in Vero Beach, Florida on Wednesday. Police say an anonymous tipster informed them that a plane carrying a passenger in possession of illegal drugs would be arriving at the Vero Beach Airport at 5 p.m. Wednesday. White and the pilot were the only ones on board.

Officers say White was carrying less than three grams of marijuana, along with a pipe. He was arrested and later released after posting $1,000 bond.

---------------------

I wonder who would be so petty as to grass him up for less than an 1/8th? No wonder he's not looking too happy in the photo!
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little old lady would. Got lots of righteous old farts here in Florida..lol!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Comedy News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: