Substitutions and short cuts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Substitutions and short cuts Reply with quote

Sometimes when we're cooking we go to get out the ingredients and find we don't have enough or are totally out. Instead of running out to the store you may have a simple substitute already in the cupboard.

Like the other night. I needed breadcrumbs. I thought I had a big container full, but oops! Not so! So instead of running to the store to get one thing, I went to my cupboard and got out my box of Ritz crackers.

Taking about 20 crackers, a plastic baggie and a can of chicken soup, I had all the bread crumbs I needed and they were nice and buttery as well.

All I had to do was take the crackers, put them in the baggie (get the air out of the bag) and roll the chicken soup can on the bag to nicely crunch up the crackers. Viola! Instant bread crumbs.

I could have also used, Cornflakes, saltine crackers or even Rice Krispies.

Thanks to this easy substitution my schnitzel turned out great.

Do you have any other handy substitutions or cooking short cuts?
luke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Substitutions and short cuts Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:

the takeaway wink
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to be a vegetarian I came up with a surprising substitute for mince. If you fry/toast porridge oats with onion and soy sauce, they take on a very textured form which is as good as many textured proteins etc. When it's good and toasted, stick in some veggie gravy, carrots and potatoes and you've a great meal.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Substitutions and short cuts Reply with quote

luke wrote:
Skylace wrote:

the takeaway wink

Yep, yep...that is my short cut too! I don't know enought about cooking to make up my own short cuts like that. Marcella does. She is smarter than the average bear....
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
When I used to be a vegetarian I came up with a surprising substitute for mince. If you fry/toast porridge oats with onion and soy sauce, they take on a very textured form which is as good as many textured proteins etc. When it's good and toasted, stick in some veggie gravy, carrots and potatoes and you've a great meal.

That's good to know Face. I have a friend who is a vegetarian and that is good to know!
11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I ground up a bag of slivered almonds that i had in the freezer and used them instead of breadcrumbs on chicken cutlets. Very, very yummy.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that stirring a tsp. of vinegar into a cup of milk will help "sour" it and it can be used in place of buttermilk in a recipe--- buttermilk is hard to find here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: