help please putting rss on a site ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: help please putting rss on a site ? Reply with quote

I want to add rss feeds to my site I know nothing about it and much of what I read is contradictory , as usual, Iam using html for my site what would I need to do , step by step if poss, to add feeds , I also want the feeds to stick and not change as the news stories change , what would I need to do that ? cheers
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert on RSS, but the following links might help:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1771&page=5
http://www.cnet.com.au/software/internet/0,239029524,240063723,00.htm

Most blog software (eg. phpBB) will automatically generate RSS feed info for you. Though if your content is static, or your want the RSS to remain static, I'm not sure why you want to use RSS. It's intended to give quick access to dynamic content.
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will check those out , I am trying to add content without having do type it all myself, travel page, thats why I want it static , I dont need it to change to a story about Iraq after a few days, any other ideas? Alan
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about rss lately too, it seems pretty simple if you just find a feed for a similar site and then just adjust it as required.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made an RSS for the site here - it's pretty simple really. Here's what I did.

1. Edited the header code of the page by adding this into the <head>. This makes the browser look to the index.rss file for info. As this site is phpbb based I had to edit the 'overall_header.tpl' file in templates/bluetabs folder, but you'll probably have to edit your html pages individually.

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml"
title="Couchtripper Feed" href="/index.rss">

I made the rss file by ripping off someone else's and just editing it to suit. It all seems to work now. If you save this file you can see how it works - http://couchtripper.com/index.rss I just add in new additions to the <rdf:Seq> section as required, then add descriptions in order, so the first thing seen will go to the first description, and the second to the second etc.
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers face i am going to look into that , it seems like a good way to add content for 'free' my mate has 1000 pages he wrote 5 of them
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: