Steve Hughes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Steve Hughes Reply with quote

Steve Hughes makes a stand for debut tour
February 03, 2012
Grimsby Telegraph

"MUSHY peas are disgusting ... who would have ever thought to mush the poor things and make them ghostbuster green?" So says Australian heavy metal comedian, Steve Hughes, who is excited about the prospect of our famous fish and chips – but not so much the mushy peas.

Following sell-out shows at Sydney and Melbourne comedy festivals, the ex-heavy metal drummer is embarking on his debut UK tour. He said: "The people of Cleethorpes can expect whatever they want ... it doesn't mean they will get it! I discuss topics which aren't necessarily supposed to be spoke about, such as war and terror, health and safety and global warming. If people choose to be offended then it is not my intention – it is an alternative point of view. People slip into denial ... but I'm planning to have a good night anyway!"

Steve's comedy career began in the mid-90s at an open-mic night at the Sydney Comedy Store, progressing to become one of Australia's premier and most sought-after comedy acts. "I moved to Manchester to pursue my comedy in the UK because there is no comedy scene in Australia," he said. "Here, people have a good sense of humour, and I like it. While I was playing in my heavy metal band we watched a lot of comedy – but it was difficult to convince an entire band to move over seas and go into comedy, so I decided to be creative on my own and here I am.

"You really need some guts to begin stand-up; it's so nerve-wracking standing in front of an audience and you don't know what to expect. The audiences reaction is so important because even if you have tons of material written it always changes with people voicing their opinions. It makes you feel like rubbish when you are not established and people don't know you. But now I'm feeling better about myself – people seem to like me and get me."

----------------

He's a funny guy, but mushy peas are great... mix with a load of malt vinegar, butter and pepper. mmmm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Comedy News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: