Pagans up in arms over Homer Simpson
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Pagans up in arms over Homer Simpson Reply with quote

Pagans have a cow over Homer
July 16, 2007

PAGANS have pledged to perform “rain magic” to wash away cartoon character Homer Simpson who was painted next to their famous fertility symbol - the Cerne Abbas giant. The 17th century chalk outline of the naked, sexually aroused, club-wielding giant is believed by many to be a symbol of ancient spirituality. Many couples also believe the 180ft giant, which is carved in the hillside above Cerne Abbas, Dorset, is an aid to fertility.

A giant 180ft Homer Simpson brandishing a doughnut was painted next to the well-endowed figure today in a publicity stunt to promote The Simpsons Movie released later this month. It has been painted with water-based biodegradable paint which will wash away as soon as it rains. Ann Bryn-Evans, joint Wessex district manager for The Pagan Federation, said: “It’s very disrespectful and not at all aesthetically pleasing. We were hoping for some dry weather but I think I have changed my mind. We’ll be doing some rain magic to bring the rain and wash it away.”

She added: “I’m amazed they got permission to do something so ridiculous. It’s an area of scientific interest.” She also expressed fears that the painting of Homer, from the animated television series The Simpsons, would cause a mess as it washed away.

During the Second World War, he was disguised to prevent the Germans from using him as an aerial landmark. Since then he has always been visible, receiving regular grass trimming and a full re-chalking every 25 years.

---------------------

I think this is pretty poor taste for sure, even if it is designed to wash out.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I find it absolutely hilarious and love it!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see what's funny about desecrating religious symbols myself.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I don't see what's funny about desecrating religious symbols myself.

The symbol is fine, it's not been hurt, Homer won't be there forever. I tend to think that if there is a God or any Gods they have a sense of humor. Loki would be grinning from ear to ear.
fritz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Pirtybirdy: I agree with Skylace....This is hilarious...LOL!!! It shows that the chalk drawing is as silly as Homer Simpson...LOL!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:

The symbol is fine, it's not been hurt, Homer won't be there forever. I tend to think that if there is a God or any Gods they have a sense of humor. Loki would be grinning from ear to ear.

it's being made a mockery of for the sake of making a few bucks.

I'm no pagan, but I can completely understand why they're insulted.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Pagan and I think it is pretty funny. They didn't hurt the giant, and they not only made sure that the Homer would wash away, but were "green" enough to ensure that the paint is biodegradable so as not to be a permanent fixture in the environment. I think as far as stunts go, this one was very well thought out and done very responsibly. It would certainly be a much different story if Homer were permanent.

I do disagree, however, that it shows that the original Cerne Abbas giant is silly. I don't think anyone's gods or goddesses are silly. I think it shows an elevation (granted an artificial one) of Homer to the giant's level rather than the other way around.

Just my 2 cents....
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
I am Pagan and I think it is pretty funny. They didn't hurt the giant, and they not only made sure that the Homer would wash away, but were "green" enough to ensure that the paint is biodegradable so as not to be a permanent fixture in the environment. I think as far as stunts go, this one was very well thought out and done very responsibly. It would certainly be a much different story if Homer were permanent.

I do disagree, however, that it shows that the original Cerne Abbas giant is silly. I don't think anyone's gods or goddesses are silly. I think it shows an elevation (granted an artificial one) of Homer to the giant's level rather than the other way around.

Just my 2 cents....

But how can it have been done responsibly if the trustees of the symbol are against it? I wonder if the advertising company asked them in the first place and did it regardless or if they just didn't ask at all.

Totally agree about the symbol not being silly though.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
SpursFan1902 wrote:

Just my 2 cents....

But how can it have been done responsibly if the trustees of the symbol are against it? I wonder if the advertising company asked them in the first place and did it regardless or if they just didn't ask at all.

Responsible and taste are two different things. Just because the trustees thought the stunt in bad taste and are against it, doesn't mean that it can't be done in a responsible manner. Who actually owns the land that Homer is on? I guess it would be up to that entity. If it is the trustees and they don't want it then it should be removed ( or should have never been put up), but if they don't, then they really don't have any aguement other than they don't like it.

I am just glad that they didn't make Homer anatomically correct!! Laughing
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just down to respect in my eyes.
nekokate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems everyone is willing to piss the Pagans off

SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
It seems everyone is willing to piss the Pagans off

This one is a bit different as they are changing the actual monument, even though the change is temporary, they are changing it. The Homer was along side. I see your respect aspect, Faceless and agree with it. I just think that respect is a word that is defined by an individual. Everyone's boundries are different. What you find disrespectful (obviously) is different from what I find disrespectful. Unexplicable to even me, I find the Homer ok, while the Trinny and Susannah stunt is distasteful. Not sure why that is...I may have to think on that awhile.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only echo Spursfan's thoughts...

The land that homer is on has nothing to do with the 'sacred site', it's been done with great care not to harm it's enviroment & not to harm the giant on land close to it.

We all laugh at a great many things, some people laugh when others are distraught over things...

End of the day: No Harm Done.

As for the trinny & co crap...
Well thats another ball game.
Two moistened bints defacing or encouraging others to deface a national treasure.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:

Except the insult and offence to the trustees and pagans who are bothered? But who cares about them eh?

The idea of saying it's ok on the basis of 'land-ownership' is so far beneath the beliefs of pagans I know that to say just because it's in the next field it's ok is something I don't accept at all. If I 'bought' a piece of land next door to your house and painted a massive slogan slagging you and your belief system off would you not be bothered?

What if this graphic had been painted on the ground next to a native-american holy site? Of course, that would never have happened.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
6ULDV8 wrote:

The idea of saying it's ok on the basis of 'land-ownership' is so far beneath the beliefs of pagans I know that to say just because it's in the next field it's ok is something I don't accept at all. If I 'bought' a piece of land next door to your house and painted a slogan slagging you off in massive letters would you not be bothered?

I might be bothered, but it is your land and you can do with it as you like. I can't make you take it down, it's yours. I can choose not to look or to build a fence on my land, but you can do as you like with your land. "Do what you will but harm none" in no way includes anything about retribution for the actions of others. If their action has harmed anyone, they will have to face the repercutions, it is not up to me to assign that.

I don't want to argue, so let's just agree to disagree. We each have different opinions and that works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: