Classic Grilled Veggies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Classic Grilled Veggies Reply with quote

Classic Grilled Veggies

I tryed this recipe once and Am now hooked....This Mediterranean-style recipe for grilled veggies is the simplest yet.....

SIMPLE SOLUTION: I also include seven luscious uses for leftover grilled veggies

Fresh vegetables (choose any or all of the following:

red onion
eggplant
whole ears of corn, husked and cleaned
green or red bell peppers, cut lengthwise in 1-inch strips
zucchini or summer squash, cut lengthwise into quarters
Portobello or other mushrooms, sliced thickly
small to medium-sized eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
Aspargus
italian hot peppers
leeks
tomatoes
basicly anything that u like

good-quality olive oil
salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
lemon juice

1 mix the prepared vegetables with olive oil and lemon juice and place in a single layer on the grill-rack over medium-high heat.

2. Cook, turning as needed, until crisp-tender and flecked with char. Remove vegetables as they reach the desired state of doneness (eggplant will take the longest to cook).

3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

The first nite i made this we had it with some chicken left over from the Med chicken recipe.......The second nite I mixed with pasta and crumbed feta cheese over it .....The next morning i had Made a veggie and feta cheese omelete.... and also a cream cheese and veggie sarnie on wheat bread Very Happy Very Happy

Some more ideas for leftover grilled veggies

1. Use chopped leftover grilled veggies as a nutritious and flavorful topping for couscous, pilaf, brown rice, or other whole grains.

2. Mix grilled veggies with salsa, cheese, and mashed cooked beans for a quick, tasty burrito.

3. Make garden salads and pasta salads really special with the addition of a few grilled vegetables.

4. Gazpacho takes on new zing with grilled veggies added in. Of you can make a delicious chilled soup by whizzing grilled veggies with broth and lemon juice in the blender.

5. Grilled veggies make a satisfying sandwich filling: try them on a baguette or on whole grain bread or rolls, with or without a slice of provolone or other cheese on top. Or you could make your own special garlic bread or bruschette by adding finely minced grilled veggies to the mashed garlic cloves.

6. Your favorite pasta sauces gain nutrition and big flavor with the addition of grilled veggies. Or simply add chopped grilled veggies along with a chopped fresh tomato and a crushed garlic clove to cooked pasta for a hearty and substantial main course.

7. To make a mouth-watering dip for pita triangles or flatbread, chop leftover grilled vegetables finely and add to a can of drained and mashed garbanzos, along with a clove of crushed garlic. Add salsa for some South of the Border flair and scoop up with taco chips.

Happy Eating

Smile
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds super super yummy. Is there any way of converting it to non-grilled tastyness?
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that looks absolutely amazing! I am going to have to try it...
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to make these (but not quite as many!) then put them in the couscous..... this should make some yummy, quick lunches for me this longweekend at work.
Axlsbabe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks too good!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

girldorksrule wrote:
Sounds super super yummy. Is there any way of converting it to non-grilled tastyness?

I bought some grilled veggies in the store for 4th of July to have an alternative to potato salad. I was in a state as to how to warm them up and I put them in my George Foreman grill. I have a small one and it worked wonders. I have yet to put raw veggies on to grill, but I bet it would work.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
girldorksrule wrote:

I bought some grilled veggies in the store for 4th of July to have an alternative to potato salad. I was in a state as to how to warm them up and I put them in my George Foreman grill. I have a small one and it worked wonders. I have yet to put raw veggies on to grill, but I bet it would work.

LOL u bought Grilled veggies at store after I gave U this recipe.......Shame on U women shhh
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
SpursFan1902 wrote:
girldorksrule wrote:

LOL u bought Grilled veggies at store after I gave U this recipe.......Shame on U women shhh

I does seem sort of silly doesn't it? I have a unfounded, deep seeded fear of fire (I was in my late 30's before I had a toasted marshmallow or could sit in a room with a fire place) and I don't grill on my own, so when I saw them in the store, I thought I would try them. Now that I have figured out the George Foreman thing, I can do them at home. Marcella does all of the grilling....
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
Aja wrote:
SpursFan1902 wrote:
girldorksrule wrote:

I does seem sort of silly doesn't it? I have a unfounded, deep seeded fear of fire (I was in my late 30's before I had a toasted marshmallow or could sit in a room with a fire place) and I don't grill on my own, so when I saw them in the store, I thought I would try them. Now that I have figured out the George Foreman thing, I can do them at home. Marcella does all of the grilling....

Spurs, veggies are wonderful done on the foreman grill..... I do them up fairly frequently on it..... let us know how they turn out.
11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
I have a unfounded, deep seeded fear of fire (I was in my late 30's before I had a toasted marshmallow or could sit in a room with a fire place) and I don't grill on my own...
I'm scared crapless of frying. Deep frying on the stove top. I'm afraid I'll have a kitchen fire.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11antoniacourt wrote:
SpursFan1902 wrote:
I have a unfounded, deep seeded fear of fire (I was in my late 30's before I had a toasted marshmallow or could sit in a room with a fire place) and I don't grill on my own...
I'm scared crapless of frying. Deep frying on the stove top. I'm afraid I'll have a kitchen fire.

Yeah, that is right up there with grilling....I just don't do it...not that I need to eat deep fried stuff anyway. I am very bad with uncontrolled (in my mind uncontrolled...reality is usually something completely different!) flame of any sort. Campfires are hard for me, but I love to camp, so I worked really hard and can sit by them now...but not too close!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: