more computer crap
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: more computer crap Reply with quote

internet stopped working this am waited until 3 them went down to internet company office they contacted the tech's they said that they could no longer support the type of router i have so i would not be able to get conneccted until i bought a new one , came home called their head office they told me the same went back down town spent $50US on a new one came home and my internet is up , i cant take the router back to the shop , you cant do that here but the company were happy to tell me they had managed to fix the fault after all , isnt that nice of them... arghhhhhh
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that blows...though how come you can't return it? flog it to someone at work or ebay?
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you do a store-credit type of thing?
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotten luck. Hang in there mate.
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thai shops are happy to take stuff back but not if you just change your mind, they will usualy exchange no probs if its broke but if i cant use iot anymore thats my problem , problem with trying to sell it on ebay is shipping , i guess i will try to sell it locally ,
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Break it and take it back? *snicker*
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

girldorksrule wrote:
Break it and take it back? *snicker*

cunning
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could do that but they will then exchange it for the same thing, very frustraiting
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found a solution I sent an older Thai lady back to the store to ask for a refund and 2 min's out she comes no probs, youger Thai's have it beaten into them not to talk back to older ladies. Then I got home and .. my internet wasnt working , went back to town to internet they said it wont work without a new router!!!!! so luckily my wife was there she's not so old but still they will not argue so they aranged for a new router which I have installed but now I have an ip address conflict which means I am on line for 5 min's at a time .. I hate computers
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a good plan for getting the money back. What you do here is send in your local psycho - the staff rarely deny a refund if they see someone foaming at the mouth.

That's odd that you're getting an IP conflict error though - have you tried resetting everything in sequence? I know that sounds simplistic, but it can sort most errors.
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
That was a good plan for getting the money back. What you do here is send in your local psycho - the staff rarely deny a refund if they see someone foaming at the mouth.

See I was thinking I would just go in and spike it at their head ... wouldn't get me my money back but I would feel better ... after getting out of jail I suppose ...

Quote:
That's odd that you're getting an IP conflict error though - have you tried resetting everything in sequence? I know that sounds simplistic, but it can sort most errors.

I was going to suggest the IT stand-by "Did you re-boot?" just to get alan foaming at the mouth! nyer
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan1254 wrote:
Finally found a solution I sent an older Thai lady back to the store to ask for a refund and 2 min's out she comes no probs, youger Thai's have it beaten into them not to talk back to older ladies. Then I got home and .. my internet wasnt working , went back to town to internet they said it wont work without a new router!!!!! so luckily my wife was there she's not so old but still they will not argue so they aranged for a new router which I have installed but now I have an ip address conflict which means I am on line for 5 min's at a time .. I hate computers

I hate to laugh at your pain, but I just can't help it. The fact that you took it back and then had to get a new one kills me. Computers are a royal pain and I hope you get it all sorted soon Smile
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

no I had changed the ip which seemed to cure it then it came back so i changed it again , same thing , my connection is also showing up as shared even with the different ip's I will give that a try see what happens , any other ideas?
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you want to turn off DHCP on your computer so it always uses the same IP address. This should be pretty easy. Are you running windows 2000 or XP? If so, just look in the services and there should be one called DHCP client. Set it to manual (and stop it if it's running).

You'll also have to re-edit your TCP/IP settings to "use this address" instead of "obtain an IP address automatically. Make sure to explicitly set your DNS settings (your computer normally gets this with DHCP). This will make sure you can still browse websites -- without it, you'll only get "page not found" type errors.

This is what I do for any computer running behind a router. As a bonus, if you want to run anything like bittorrent, it helps to open (ie. "forward") that port(s) in the router, which (unless your router is pretty fancy) requires you to have a static IP address on your computer.

The only other thing I can think of is what you should use for your computer's IP address. If your router address is 192.168.1.1, then you want something like 192.168.1.100. As long as the first 3 numbers are the same, it'll work.

Good luck!
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

major.tom wrote:
It sounds like you want to turn off DHCP on your computer so it always uses the same IP address. This should be pretty easy. Are you running windows 2000 or XP? If so, just look in the services and there should be one called DHCP client. Set it to manual (and stop it if it's running).

You'll also have to re-edit your TCP/IP settings to "use this address" instead of "obtain an IP address automatically. Make sure to explicitly set your DNS settings (your computer normally gets this with DHCP). This will make sure you can still browse websites -- without it, you'll only get "page not found" type errors.

This is what I do for any computer running behind a router. As a bonus, if you want to run anything like bittorrent, it helps to open (ie. "forward") that port(s) in the router, which (unless your router is pretty fancy) requires you to have a static IP address on your computer.

The only other thing I can think of is what you should use for your computer's IP address. If your router address is 192.168.1.1, then you want something like 192.168.1.100. As long as the first 3 numbers are the same, it'll work.

Good luck!

Thanks Its a little late now but I will try that in the morning see if it helps Im fairly sure that I am actualy sharing at this time which wont work for me especialy for $70 US a month, will let you know
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: