Fla. Lottery Rejects $500,000 Payment After Misprint

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Fla. Lottery Rejects $500,000 Payment After Misprint Reply with quote

Fla. Lottery Rejects $500,000 Payment After Misprint
Thursday, May 17, 2007

E-MAIL STORY PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION
OCALA, Fla. — The Florida Lottery is refusing to pay a $500,000 prize until it can inspect the $20 scratch-off ticket, which officials said Thursday appears to be a misprint.

Joe Curcio, 56, says he got the ticket at a service plaza Sunday on Florida's Turnpike.

The Gold Rush ticket has the numeral 1 on the top row and a numeral 1 above the $500,000 scratch-off piece, making the ticket appear to be a winner. But when Curcio had it scanned, the ticket's bar code indicated it wasn't.

Curcio, who owns a used car dealership, said lottery officials told him the top number actually was a "13" that was misprinted.

"They're saying it's a misprint. How do I know it's a misprint?" he asked. He has hired an attorney to press his claim.

Lottery spokeswoman Jacqueline Barreiros said Curcio still needed to turn over the ticket for a full inspection.

"We can't say whether we will pay the jackpot or not until we go through the process," she said.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Um......I think Florida Lottery should "go scratch their ass" and pay up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn straight. Misprint my ass. If it says it's a winner they need to pay up. Learn from their mistake and move on.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's no evidence of tampering and the discrepancy was a product of their fabrication process, that's their tough luck. Their quality control (or lack thereof) is not his responsibility.

Pay the man.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its very "convenient" that they've decided this is a misprint.... I smell a lawsuit!
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
I think its very "convenient" that they've decided this is a misprint.... I smell a lawsuit!

I fear the "fine print" (terms & conditions) may let them get away with it.
fritz

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was my ticket and thy woulden't pay I think I would be pissed-off.500k is a drop in the bucket to them. nyer
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel bad for the poor guy because he's losing out both ways:

1. If the lottery refuses to pay his claim and/or

2. If he wins his lawsuit and is awarded the $500,000.00, he'll then have to pay attorney's fees, thus reducing his prize money.

Sucks, doesn't it?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't the costs of a court case come as a separate amount? In most cases here the two amounts are usually separate.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not familiar with Florida law (maybe someone here is), but often in civil lawsuits, the attorneys take a percentage of the awarded amount.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe legal fees are only "recoverable" on top of a claim if the losing party was acting frivilously.

More likely the lawyers will take a slice of the basic award. Though the basic award could be beefed up for items like distress etc.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Don't the costs of a court case come as a separate amount? In most cases here the two amounts are usually separate.

Usually in the U.S., lawyers take a percentage of the amount awarded, but it really depends on what sort of agreement the clients had with their lawyers in the first place.

Also, lottery wins in the U.S. are taxed quite heavily, if I'm not mistaken, so they'd also lose a large chunk of the money that way. In Canada, lottery winnings are tax free---- guess the gov't figures they tax us enough in other places! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: