battle of the browsers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: battle of the browsers Reply with quote

i've been using firefox for years now, i have other browsers installed just to check sites work, but i always go back to firefox after.

recently though i was doing a site that used quite a bit of ccs3 transitions/animations - nothing too fancy, but it looks and works nice. but firefox rendered everything so slowly. i thought maybe it was down to my crappy computer or i'd fucked up my code or something, but i tested it on chrome, and it was so smooth Smile safari handled it just a tad slower than chrome, but not really any noticeable difference. opera was again just a tad slower than safari, but still totally usable.

i was quite surprised at the difference in speed between firefox and the other browsers ( excluding ie8 - which doesn't really display most of the enhancements ) on firefox it quite often just misses the transition, you can see the start, you might get a frame in the middle, but mostly you just see the start and end and its just jerky and not very good. and its not like its very complex, its just a big kinda menu page with lots of links, links grow a bit on mouse over ( transform: scale ), things fade in and out, theres rounded corners with background images, shadows, menus can be collapsed/hidden etc - but nothing complex. i've used most the css3 before in smaller doses and not really noticed any problems before

i wonder why firefox is so slow? like i said i did think maybe it was my computer, but chrome, safari and opera all handle it fine Confused maybe on newer/faster computers its not even a problem

after using chrome recently for normal browsing, its a nice browser, but i still prefer firefox, i just wish firefox had the rendering speed of chrome
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been annoyed with Firefox lately. It was freezing up and crashing a lot. I just updated with the latest version and haven't had a freeze or crash, but it's still early. My add ons are not compatible, and I had to reinstall the adblock after this last update. I've also been hearing good things about Chrome. My sister switched to it awhile ago because Firefox was driving her nuts. I haven't tried Chrome yet, but I might just download it and kick it around to see how it's like. Of course, I don't know much about the technical stuff, I'm just a simple user. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: