Chicken Madras Curry

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cori

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Chicken Madras Curry Reply with quote

1/4 cup ghee or canola oil
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1/3 cup raw cashews, halved (optional)
1 Tbs. ghee or canola oil
1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or
thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 jar Madras curry sauce
Steamed rice for serving
Fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish
Chapati or naan for serving

In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the 1/4 cup ghee. Add the shallots and fry until golden and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shallots to a paper towel lined plate. Add the cashews to the hot oil and fry until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Using the slotted spoon, transfer the cashews to the plate. Set aside.

In a large pan over medium-high heat, warm the 1 Tbs. ghee. Add the chicken and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the Madras curry sauce and stir to coat the chicken. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.

Serve the curry over steamed rice. Garnish with fried shallots, cashews and cilantro sprigs. Serves 4 to 6.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get madras curry sauce here. Any suggestions or recipe for making it yourself?
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill put up a recipe later...just on my way out Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
Ill put up a recipe later...just on my way out Smile

Thanks Aja! You're a star! bigkisses
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chicken madras

Description
This is a hot, simple curry. Watch out for the whole dried chillies though - they heat up the dish slowly so don't adjust the chilli level too soon (unless you're a Chile-Head, in which case add a few more !!)

Ingredients

2 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee
2 chicken breasts, skinned and cut into 1 inch cubes
6 (more for a vindaloo) whole small dried chillies (Bird's Eye or Thai Hots)
half teaspoon hot chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
half a batch of Basic Curry Sauce ( will add that Recipe at the end of this )
salt to taste
1 teaspoon methi (dried fenugreek) leaves, washed in a sieve then left moist for at least 10 minutes.
half teaspoon garam masala
Method

Heat a little of the oil in a large heavy frying pan then fry the chicken pieces over moderate heat until they are sealed and have turned white. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
Heat the rest of the oil in a heavy saucepan over a moderate heat.
Add the whole dried chillies and fry until they start to swell.
Turn the heat to low, add 1 tablespoon of the Basic Curry Sauce and stir round. Then add the chilli powder, cumin, coriander and paprika and fry gently, stirring all the time, for a minute. Take care not to burn the spices or the curry will lack flavour and taste bitter.
Add the rest of the Basic Curry Sauce, the chicken pieces and salt and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is done. Stir from time to time and add a little hot water if the sauce starts to catch on the bottom of the pan.
10 minutes from the end add the garam masala and fenugreek leaves.
Simmer gently for the last 10 minutes stirring frequently as the sauce should now be nice and thick.

basic curry sauce

Description
This is the basis for many of the restaurant-style curries you'll find here. The recipe makes between 8 and 9 fl oz of Sauce which is enough for 2 main course curries or a main course and some side dishes. The recipe doesn't work as well if you try to make a smaller portion. It will double nicely if you're making a number of curries but you will need to extend the cooking time a bit. If you have some sauce left over it will keep in good condition in the freezer but only for a few weeks. Even small amounts are useful for making a quick one-portion curry, it goes a long way. Remember to wrap it up well or your ice-cream may take on a strange taste!.

Ingredients

3 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee (clarified butter)
1 medium onion - finely chopped
4 cloves garlic - peeled and sliced
1.5 inch piece root ginger - peeled and thinly sliced (it should look about the same volume as the garlic)
(optional) 2 mild fleshy green chillies - de-seeded and veined then chopped
half teaspoon turmeric powder
half teaspoon ground cumin seed
half teaspoon ground coriander seed
5 tablespoons plain passata (smooth, thick, sieved tomatoes, US = purée) or 1 tablespoon concentrated tomato purée (US = paste) mixed with 4 tablespoons water

Method
Heat the oil in a heavy pan then add the chopped onion and stir for a few minutes with the heat on high.
Add the ginger, garlic and green chilli (if using). Stir for 30 seconds then put the heat down to very low.
Cook for 15 minutes stirring from time to time making sure nothing browns or burns.
Add the turmeric, cumin and coriander and cook, still very gently, for a further 5 minutes. Don't burn the spices or the sauce will taste horrid - sprinkle on a few drops of water if you're worried.
Take off the heat and cool a little. Put 4 fl oz cold water in a blender, add the contents of the pan and whizz until very smooth. Add the passata and stir.
Put the puréed mixture back into the pan and cook for 20 - 30 minutes (the longer the better) over very low heat stirring occasionally. You can add a little hot water if it starts to catch on the pan but the idea is to gently "fry" the sauce which will darken in colour to an orangy brown. The final texture should be something like good tomato ketchup. Warning - it WILL gloop occasionally and splatter over your cooker, it's the price you have to pay!

cheers
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U may want to try this version too.....even though i have used the above one before ....its good ....

if u dont have all the spices this may be easier.......

Hot Madras Curry

1 Cup chopped onions
1 tsp. fresh grated ginger root
1 tsp. crushed garlic
2 Tablespoons corn oil (I used canola)
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed
3 Tablespoons Sharwoods Hot Curry Powder (or any type)
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1 Tablespoon Major Grey Mango Chutney (or any type)
1 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
chopped cilantro to garnish

1) Fry the onions and garlic in the oil until golden. Add the chicken and ginger. Fry for 5 minutes.
2) Add the remaining ingredients (except cilantro) and 1 Cup of water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until meat is tender.
3) Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve naan bread, puppodums or rice.

This would be great with rice as it's very runny. Serve in a bowl!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you for these Aja! They're great!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look great Aja. I think making my own would be good as I could control how hot the recipe would be----- I'm not big on very spicy food, but I've never had a curry so I think this would be perfect to try.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I always play around with recipes to suit my own tastes ......Thats the best way to be Smile and U can always add more seasoning at the last second if needed Smile
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
Actually I always play around with recipes to suit my own tastes ......Thats the best way to be Smile and U can always add more seasoning at the last second if needed Smile

Good point Aja. I never could learn to enjoy really spicy stuff.... and I lived on the Mexican border for a year, where jalapeno's were the norm. Plus it gives me terrible heartburn. This way I could still get the taste without all the suffereing.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
Aja wrote:

Good point Aja. I never could learn to enjoy really spicy stuff.... and I lived on the Mexican border for a year, where jalapeno's were the norm. Plus it gives me terrible heartburn. This way I could still get the taste without all the suffereing.

I'm like eefan. I like warm food and maybe a bit of spice but really spicy has never appealled to me. Just last night went over to a friends and they had peppers so hot that just breathing in the fumes made me cough! That's just too much for me!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
eefanincan wrote:
Aja wrote:

I'm like eefan. I like warm food and maybe a bit of spice but really spicy has never appealled to me. Just last night went over to a friends and they had peppers so hot that just breathing in the fumes made me cough! That's just too much for me!

Laughing I'm off to take an antacid on your behalf.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
Skylace wrote:
eefanincan wrote:
Aja wrote:

Laughing I'm off to take an antacid on your behalf.

Laughing Thank you! I didn't eat any myself. I figured if it made my lungs burn I didn't want to think what it was going to do to my stomach! no
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: