Countdown
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Countdown Reply with quote

DES: I QUIT COUNTDOWN
By Nicola Methven, Tv Editor

DES Lynam told yesterday how the gruelling Countdown schedule has left him so drained he has decided to quit. Channel 4 bosses were so keen to keep him they were prepared to shift the show from Leeds to London next year so he could cut down on his travelling but the presenter, who lives in Worthing, West Sussex, 250 miles from Leeds, decided it would be too inconvenient for others on the show.

He told the Mirror: "I didn't want to be responsible for that disruption. It would be unforgivable. When I was first asked to do the series, I asked if there was any chance of it being made in London. But it stayed in Leeds. Then the number of shows a year went up from 180 to more than 200. I was travelling up and down to Leeds sometimes every week. We do five shows in a day which everybody finds extremely tiring. It's the sort of schedule I don't want to commit myself to any more.

"I've decided that after a year and a half, that'll do nicely. I'm going to withdraw and save the wear and tear."

Des, 64 - who took over from Richard Whiteley 18 months ago - said moving the show to London seemed sensible as he and co-presenters Carol Vorderman and Dictionary Corner's Susie Dent live in the south. He said: "I made one stipulation. I didn't want anyone to lose their job or be unduly inconvenienced. If that were the case I didn't want to do it." Des was first told the fallout would be minimal. But he later learned a number of people would be affected, including some camera crew who have been on Countdown since the first show 24 years ago.

HE said: "Channel 4 agreed we'd do the show in London from January, but I didn't want responsibility for that disruption. Lots of people have devoted their lives to Countdown. What if I'd said 'Right, let's do it in London' and then six months later decided to leave?"

After the Mirror revealed Des had asked for the programme to be moved to London, there was an outcry from viewers. He sighed: "I found myself the devil of the piece for daring suggest it. There was also a lot of response from fans who didn't want it to move away from Leeds. Now I realise the show belongs there." He insists that the decision to leave is not because he is suffering from any illness.

Des said he will miss his Countdown colleagues and the fans but knows he has made the right choice. He said: "I knew instinctively this was the right thing to do. I talked to my loved ones and they agreed. I did say when I started that if I didn't fit in, or if people didn't warm to me, that I'd walk away from it. Actually, I've felt that I've fitted in pretty well, and had a nice reaction from the audience. The figures went up, everyone seemed pleased. I sort of fell on the air with it. Then it got a bit better as time went on. There's no rehearsal, you just fly by the seat of your pants. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't."

He disclosed it was tough taking over from such a popular host as Richard, saying: "When I started I was a bit twitchy because everybody there was so used to him. I think Richard would be shocked I'm stopping because he spent so long at the helm. Although I've enjoyed it thoroughly I didn't expect a 10-year tenure."

Des said he was glad to be leaving the show, which is watched by 2.7million viewers, in fine fettle. "It's a very healthy programme and will continue to thrive. People watch because they want to challenge their grey matter. I've great respect for the show." He has no plans to launch himself straight into new TV or radio projects, but is certainly not retiring. Des said: "I've got a few bits and pieces going on, but I shall probably stare into space for a short while and have a bit of a break."

BY the time he leaves, he will have fronted around 300 instalments of Countdown. He laughed: "I don't suppose I did many more Grandstands than that. I've had a marvellous time working here, the people have been absolutely charming to me" He added: "I don't think I was everybody's taste but I've had wonderful correspondence since I started. People in the street mention it all the time, more so than they did the sports programmes, which is extraordinary."

Now bosses at Channel 4 and Yorkshire Television face the task of replacing the presenter of the station's oldest and best-loved show. But Des does not think it will be too tough for them. He said: "When Richard died I don't think it was very long before people started hammering down the door offering their services. Whoever takes over, I wish them the very best of luck."

CAROL Vorderman is taking part in the Great North Run in Newcastle tomorrow in memory of Richard. Proceeds to Marie Curie Cancer Care charity. To donate, log onto www.justgiving.com/walkingforwhiteley

-------------

I wonder who'll they get now to fill his boots? I reckon Stephen Fry would be ideal.
Griffo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baah, i love countdown, and he's a legend.
janbo1960

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Quit - three vowels and two consonants please!!!
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair play to him not being a git to the folks that work on the show....wonder what kind of cheesy replacement they will come up with... Smile
janbo1960

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Holdness..... I'll have a P please Bob..hehehe
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COUNTDOWN SHOWDOWN
By Nicola Methven, Tv Editor
A SHORTLIST has been drawn up by Channel 4 bosses to find a replacement for Countdown host Des Lynam. They include actor and presenter Stephen Fry, gardening guru Alan Titchmarsh, former MP Gyles Brandreth and Antiques Roadshow presenter Michael Aspel. Station chiefs have also come up with wildcard suggestions, believed to include Angus Deayton, Clive Anderson and John Suchet. But they have ruled out giving the plum job to a female presenter such as Sue Lawley.

One insider said: "It just wouldn't work with a woman because a key part of the role is flirting and giggling with Carol Vorderman."

Last week, Eamonn Holmes was made favourite by bookies and producers are interested in him. But the former GMTV presenter has ruled himself out because he is juggling too much work. As well as hosting an early morning programme on Sky News and BBC1's Jet Set lottery show, he is working on a new project for Fox TV in America called The Rich List.

Fry and Aspel have appeared in Dictionary Corner and Brandreth is a regular on the show. Titchmarsh has not appeared, but his name has been put forward because he has "the right mix of warmth and wit", according to insiders.

Terry Wogan has been ruled out as being "too expensive" and Chris Evans as "not right for the audience". Carol Vorderman, 45, has announced she has no intention of giving up her role as sidekick to become the main presenter. And Noel Edmonds, who lost out to Lynam during the auditions last year, has his work cut out as host of Deal or No Deal. Yesterday a Channel 4 spokeswoman said: "We are searching for a new presenter and no decision has yet been made. There is plenty of time, we're not in any rush." No approaches have yet been made, but Countdown bosses are expected to start contacting potential candidates later this week.

Des, 64, decided to resign after finding the journey between his home in Sussex and the Yorkshire TV studios in Leeds where the programme is made too exhausting. He will leave at Christmas. He had asked if production could be moved to London. But after realising that people would lose their jobs if that happened, he decided to quit. Des said: "I've decided that after a year and a half, that'll do nicely. I'm going to save the wear and tear."

Richard Whiteley hosted the show for 23 years until his death in June last year at the age of 61 following a heart operation.

----------

So Stephen Fry gets a mention and I'm not surprised, of the other names mentioned I'd reckon Clive Anderson would probably be best.

Cool
janbo1960

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Clive is very witty - as I remember him!!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the very early days of the show

Carol is quitting Countdown

CAROL Vorderman is to step down from her role in the long-running Channel 4 gameshow Countdown, her manager said tonight. The presenter, who has been with the programme for 26 years, was said to be extremely sad. Her decision follows the announcement on Wednesday that Des O’Connor, the 76-year-old current host of Countdown, is also to quit the show.

-------------------

end of an era there! And with Des O'Connor leaving too they'll need to come up with something good and soon... I've not watched it much since Des O'Connor took over as I just don't like him very much. The show needs a likeable buffoon in charge, someone like Boris Johnson would fit the role.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hell over sacking
Countdown Carol tells all to the News of the World
EXCLUSIVE by Jane Johnson

COUNTDOWN legend Carol Vorderman has sensationally revealed she was FORCED OUT by TV bosses. Talking exclusively to the News of the World, the Channel 4 star told us: "After 26 years they said, ‘Take a 90 per cent PAY CUT or go!' They wanted me out."

Carol knew she was facing her final Countdown when the show's heartless bosses landed a sick low blow in their bid to force a massive 90 PER CENT pay cut. The TV favourite of millions revealed: "I was in shock and absolutely distraught at their ultimatum. After putting my heart and soul into the show for 26 years I was given just 48 hours to decide—take it or leave. To be honest, I loved Countdown so much I was thinking of taking the cut. In fact, in the right circumstances I'd have done it for FREE—but it was obvious they wanted me out."

And Carol, 47, said the final straw came just before the deadline last Friday, when a Channel 4 boss callously told her: "The show survived easily without Richard Whiteley and it will survive easily without you."

Talking like that about the show's legendary late host, who had been Carol's soulmate, was a step too far. Since then she has been in constant tears and has only now decided to speak out to dispel rumours that she had greedily demanded a HALF A MILLION POUND pay rise and the main presenter's job. She said: "I've been all over the place for the past week. All I've ever done, with purity in my heart, has been to work hard for Countdown. It's not just like a TV programme to me, that's what's so hard. I HADN'T demanded more money and I HADN'T insisted on the No1 job. That's all LIES. I was pushed into leaving something I love. I was forced out, that's the truth.

"I want the viewers to know I would never walk away from a programme I care so much about. I'm only talking now because I want them to know the truth. I had no alternative but to go. I was trying to leave gracefully in spite of everything but then I heard they've been putting those rumours out there. They just couldn't help themselves. What they've done is NOT right."

The hit daytime words and numbers show has been in turmoil since Wednesday when main host Des O'Connor quit. But what viewers didn't realise was that behind the scenes Carol was also on the verge of deciding to go too. The problem stems back to a few weeks ago when Carol learned budgets were going to be cut for the show which is made by ITV for Channel 4.

She said: "I heard there'd be cutbacks by about a third. I know these are tough economic times so I said I'd happily allow my pay to be cut by a third. My agent John Miles spoke with the ITV contract people to make the offer and then we heard nothing. In the meantime I heard a rumour they were trying to get rid of me. I didn't know why, there was no reason given. All this, despite the fact that they were also telling me how much they wanted me to stay. The idea of me being the main presenter had even been mooted at one point, but I was happy as I was. I've been offered that job three times since Richard died, but each time I declined."

Then Carol—rumoured to earn £900,000 a year from the show—was in her studio dressing room on Wednesday July 16 when her agent rang and said: "I don't know how to tell you this, but I've just had a letter asking you to take a 90 per cent paycut." Carol told us: "It was non-negotiable, take it or leave it. I was shocked."

Nevertheless she put on a brave face and went back in front of the cameras to film three more episodes. "But everyone knew something was wrong," she said. "I had to just put it down to a migraine and carry on. I simply couldn't take it all in. All I could think was, ‘I can't leave', but I also realised they didn't want me. They wanted me out."

And on the Friday, Carol knew she had no alternative but to resign when both she and her agent were told by ITV bosses how they could easily go on without her—and threw in the jibe about the show surviving Richard Whiteley's death. Carol said: "It was such a callous thing to do. I can't bear to hear anyone talking about Richard in a dismissive way. What on earth was possessing them to behave like this? They knew which buttons to press and they were just kicking me. I felt sick and I realised that was it."

Her agent refused to give an answer to the pay deal and the deadline stretched on to Friday, two days ago. Carol said: "Then I realised the game was up. There were phone calls back and forth between my agent and ITV pushing for a decision and I made up my mind to go. I wanted to leave with some dignity intact. But first of all I sent a text to all the crew. I wanted them to hear it from me."

Carol became the first woman to appear on Channel 4 when the show launched in 1982. She recalled: "I've been on Countdown since I was 21 and I'm now a middle-aged woman—that's the whole of my adult life. I've been through two pregnancies on the show and the Countdown team are like a family to me. For over a decade from the late 80s to the late 90s, it was the channel's biggest show, with the highest ratings week in, week out. That's because everyone could see what joy we were having.

"I still have the same camerawoman, Annie, who I had from day one. She started as a 24-year-old and celebrated her 50th birthday recently. It's a unique programme. There isn't another team like it in British TV. We've all worked together for so long. Our priority has always been to protect the programme. If anyone ever criticised any of us, we'd be at them like a rocket. And that isn't just showbiz claptrap. No one interfered and we never had contact with the bosses. Richard and I produced from the floor. There were no scripts, just a passion for the format and for numbers. In fact, it still bothers me if I don't do the numbers in time."

Despite being approached by other TV companies, Carol insists she always remained loyal to Countdown. She said: "In the 90s I was offered big contracts to leave and move to the BBC and other channels. But I always made sure if I worked for other companies, I was still able to present Countdown. I would NOT give it up, however much money I was offered. My priority was my loyalty to the team."

The success of the programme was down to the chemistry between Carol and Whiteley, who died in 2005. Carol recalled: "I loved Richard and he loved me. He could make me laugh and we had the most wonderful times together. "We'd do five 45-minute shows a day and I'd cry with laughter through every one. After Richard died they asked me to take over but I just said I couldn't sit in his chair. It was his job. They told me they might have to drop the programme, but I said I'll continue and we'll MAKE it work."

That's when Des Lynam took the chair for 15 months. When he left Carol was again offered the job but said no and Des O'Connor took over in January last year. Carol added: "We got on really well. But at the start of this year there was a question mark over the show's future. There'd been lots of redundancies at the Leeds studios and everyone was concerned."

She said Countdown's crew feel they have been left in the dark and added: "The show goes off air tomorrow for four weeks, but we only found out when a contestant phoned in and said she couldn't set her video recorder for future episodes. No one had told the team.

"What's happened to me is indicative of what's happening to TV in general. It's changed. I'm a lucky woman though, and I do count my blessings. I'm speaking out because I wanted to go with dignity but their rumour-mongering has taken even that away from me. It's so sad."

An ITV insider insisted last night: "Carol wasn't forced out. Yes, she was asked to take a substantial pay cut but would still have been paid £2,000 a day for sticking up some numbers. Not bad work if you can get it. We make the show for Channel 4 and they cut the budget. We had to make savings and the main costs were the two presenters. So that's what we did. Carol could have taken the cut and stayed, but she chose not to. We don't feel she was forced out. We're going through very difficult times."

--------------------

If that exec really did say that the show survived with Whitely and would survive without her then he hasn't a clue! Without Richard it has become dull, and without Carol it loses whatever was left.

Still, that leaves the door open for Vorderman to make more adverts for loan-shark companies on daytime tv.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratings have FELL apparently. But, for the sake of reference, here's how she's looking today...

thumbs
luke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i nearly posted this yesterday Laughing whats times it on today ... Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's on right now and it's been great!
luke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm gonna have to remember to watch this some day

bigkisses
minterdan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg!!! What have i been missing Very Happy Im gonna have to start recording this.
SquareEyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is the totty?

Stephen Fry wouldn't stoop so low. Clive Anderson would just rip the contestants to shreds. Angus Deayton is too slimy and would wind-up the pensioner audience and John Suchet should be above this tripe (unless he needs the cash)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> General TV All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: