A few updates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: A few updates Reply with quote

As you've probably noticed, I've changed the banner graphic. The old one had been used for almost 8 years and didn't work on iphones etc, so this is an improvement for sure. I've also removed links to the Galloway archive, but the pages are still there and links from other sites to it will still work.

I'm planning an overhaul of the site in general soon, but this is a good start. If there's anything you think might work, feel free to say
Bat

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new banner.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one - what about the menu doofur? I've just put some good topic links into it at the moment, but any suggestions are welcome
dmrtn

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two pages I use the most would be the Homepage (which seems to be gone off the links) for all the latest posts and the Forum homepage when looking for something more specific. If it was up to me I'd use the logo at the top as the link to one of these two.

On the homepage, it seems to have stretched to over 100% of the page width now? I'm viewing on the standard 15.6 inch laptop, Chrome and Firefox. Maybe you could just remove the Featured Threads altogether from the right side (a lot of them point to dead videos, I think?) and move the rest to the left side?
dmrtn

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the level of nitpicking Smile I'd probably remove the outline of the logo box? Might have to see it but the outline doesn't look great. Or possibly remove the lines on either edge and make the horizontal line 100% of the page width?

Also, the height of the image is pretty good but the words seem a bit too tight to the top and bottom. If it wasn't a big job I'd squash the letter size to give a bit more space between the letters and the image edge. The letters do look quite tall at the moment.

Oh and the size of the font on the popup menus is a bit small, especially in comparison with the rest of the site.

APART from all that, things are looking good Smile Thanks for everything as always, Face.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the homepage link because that page always takes so long to load - I'm not sure why, but it's probably to do with so many SQL queries at once. I've not looked at it since changing things, but if I can make it work quickly I'll sort that.

I see the black line you mean, and I'll have a look at that later. I've increased the font size for the menu, that needed fixing for sure.

I'm quite happy with the lettering though
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got rid of a few sections - mainly because they were inactive and full of expired links. Over time I'll probably bring them back in some form.

I've also been fairly brutal with replies in topics that are featured in the top menu, only leaving comments that contribute to the topic directly.
luke

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the updates are looking good Smile i do miss the homepage link, although it was really slow to load, it was a handy way of seeing all the recent updates

the lettering you've used is pretty much the same as the new yorker - weird i recognised it because i haven't checked the new yorker for years!

i'd be tempted to change or increase the size of the logout/profile/search options under the menu, or integrate them into the menu above
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, there's always the 'new posts' option from the left nav bar.

The thing with the logout option is that it changes depending on the logged-in state, and I'm not sure if I can integrate that into the menu.
luke

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see, i don't know php at all, but i'm guessing somewhere in the php it'll check for the existence of a cookie or something to see if you're logged in, then if you are display one thing else display another. if you can find that bit in the forum code you should be able to do it, but i've no idea how these php forums work or how easy or not it would be!

i was looking at some examples of how to do things in php and the coldfusion equivalents ( after the email i got that i've messaged you about ), php looks crazy! Laughing
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I sorted the homepage to be quicker - I removed all the 'top ten' stuff and it seems to be going much better. I've restored the link to it in the nav bar
luke

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one, you don't need all the top ten stuff and that anyway
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: