Mason sues Christians

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Mason sues Christians Reply with quote

Mason sues Christians

Jackie Mason is suing Christian evangelical group Jews For Jesus over a pamphlet spreading their message. The handout features a cartoon caricature of the rabbi-turned-comic, and the slogan: Jackie Mason, a Jew for Jesus!? It argues that there?s no fundamental difference between Jews and gentiles, even though that?s the basis for Mason?s comic shtick. At the end of the pamphlet, right, the cartoon Mason says: ?No difference? There goes my whole show?.

In a complaint filed in New York State Supreme Court, Mason said the publication had harmed him in his business to ?an incalculable degree? and seeks $2 million in damages. He said: ?While I have the utmost respect for people who practice the Christian faith, the fact is, as everyone knows, I am as Jewish as a matzo ball or kosher salami.?

Jews for Jesus executive director, David Brickner added: ?Jackie may be as Jewish as a matzo ball, but Jesus is as Jewish as chicken soup. ?It is our hope that this issue will not have to go through the courts, but this is a matter of freedom of speech and freedom of religion. We are not claiming Jackie Mason to be a Jew for Jesus. Of course, if he's interested, we're sure Jesus would welcome him as a follower.?

you can see the pamphlet here:

http://files.jewsforjesus.org/byg/Jackie_Mason_R.pdf

------------------

I hope this gets thrown right out of court with a slap in Mason's ear... for him to say that this would affect his business is not far from admitting that these Jews for Jesus are right in what they say. And they may well be...

I wish I'd written the headline to this story btw, but it was from Chortle.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're exactly right on that one, Face. Plus, I can't stand that Jackie Mason anyway.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Jewish comedians and Israel Reply with quote

I've never had any Jackie Mason stuff in my extensive comedy collection, because while he is a good raconteur, there's nothing of substance in what he says - and his decision to do this gig just proves that fact.

If I was in London I'd be right up for going to the protest gig - if only to show support for those Jewish people who acknowledge that Israel is a fucking disgrace. They'll probably be tarred as being traitors to Judaism by the typical brainwashed pricks, and more power to them for it.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up, I never "got" Jackie, or hadn't found him funny. I had put him up there with Woody Allen, who I find most completely unfunny. In the last few years, I've heard him fill in on various talk shows, and I have found him to be witty and sometimes a little funny. I think it's the type of humor he has. Ya either like it or you don't. I'm thinking it's the same with Woody Allen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nekokate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He sounds like a complete twat. He'd be the worst kind of twat to have an argument with, too, because with all his experience in stand-up I bet he'd be very good at putting people down.

He says he only refuses to share a stage with people who hate Israel, but to most Zionists the definition of hating Israel is anything that doesn't fall into the category of kissing its arse and glorifying it.

They should get Larry David over to do that What A State gig, that would be awesome.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old-fashioned Mason's stage politics
By Bruce Dessau,
Evening Standard

Call it Bernard Manning Syndrome. Comedians who are fantastically skilful but peddle controversy. Jackie Mason has been criticised for his anti-Arab pronouncements yet last night, at a variety show celebrating Israel’s 60th anniversary, he was remarkably restrained. Apart, that is, from contentiously describing Israel as the only Middle Eastern democracy and calling a couple of world leaders “Nazi bastards”.

It was a shame, however, that much of his material elsewhere felt as tired as Mason’s deadpan face looked. It is not every day one hears impressions of Ted Kennedy and Henry Kissinger. Not since the Seventies anyway. The heavy police presence outside the venue could have stormed in and arrested him for numerous observational routines that were criminally old-fashioned.

Yet the septuagenarian stand-up can tell a gag without breaking sweat and the rhythmic musicality of his delivery was enough to raise guffaws. This was a clearly partisan crowd but there is a universality to Mason’s sarcastic statements on hypochondria, marriage and the way weather reports never actually say how hot it is that would win over any audience. Well, maybe not a Palestinian one.

As for the contemporary domestic political content, there was nothing here to scare the horses or threaten Chris Rock in the hard-hitting satire stakes. Despite nailing his colours to the Republican flag, Mason took almost as many swipes at Bush as at Barack, who “sounds like a Jew with a tan”. Perhaps he is even warming to Obama’s slickness. Then again, probably not.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mason Under Fire for Obama 'Schwartze' Slur
Erica Morris
totallyjewish.com
19th March 2009

Legendary comedian Jackie Mason is under fire from critics after calling Barack Obama a "schwartze" during a performance last week. The 72-year-old funny man used the epithet during a stand-up show in New York last Thursday to describe the US president, causing at least one audience member to storm out of the venue with one viewer reportedly saying: "He's more offensive to the Jews than Madoff tonight."

For his part, Mason refused to apologise for using the term, which literally means 'black' in Yiddish, but is considered by some to be synonymous with the 'N' word. Mason was quizzed by reporters immediately following the performance. He said: "I'm an old Jew. I was raised in a Jewish family where 'schwartze' was used. It's not a demeaning word and I'm not going to defend myself. Chris Rock has told a lot more jokes about whites than I have against blacks. What about the demeaning words blacks say about Jews?"

He added: "If it's a racist society, the white people are the ones being persecuted because they have to defend themselves." The comedian also lashed out at various other black Americans, criticising Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton as "professional racists" and taking a swipe at talk show icon Oprah Winfrey: "I'm more talented than Oprah Winfrey and look at how much she makes. I can't even make a living."

Sharpton swung back with a statement that said: "At this stage in Jackie's life and career he should get our prayers more than our responses." Sharpton added: "Maybe he forgot that he has had me on his TV show and has taken me to dinner... I'm sure Jackie just forgot."

Mason took similar heat in 1991 during a campaign rally when he called then-New York Mayor David Dinkins a "fancy schwartze with a moustache". He was sharply criticised by US civil rights groups and later apologised for the comment. Mason also faced allegations of racism in 2002 when he axed an opening performance from a gig in Chicago by American comedian Ray Hanania, who is of Palestinian descent.

His performance last year, meanwhile, at the Zionist Federation's Israel 60 celebrations at Wembley Arena was also fiercely criticised, with many audience members appalled at what they considered highly offensive material, particularly unsuitable for a community wide event attended by several hundred children.

The New York-born comedian has created several short internet videos on YouTube in the past few weeks condemning Obama's administration, calling the president a "liar" and a "fraud".

-------------------

He's just an old cunt. Simple as that. These old excuses of 'it's the way we used to speak' suggest that he has no control over the words that fall out of his thick head. In which case he shouldn't be onstage, he should be in a nursing home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Comedy News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: