Vitamin D Deficiency

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Vitamin D Deficiency Reply with quote

I went to the doctor for the ol' check up, figuring I would get the "you need to lose weight" speech and I would be on my merry way. Well, I did get that, but in reviewing the blood work, it was determined that I have a vitamin D deficiency. How does one in the SUNSHINE state have a vitamin D deficiency, you ask? Well apparently it is fairly common as we have all had it beaten into our heads to wear sunscreen and stay out of the sun. A mondo dose of Vit D once a week and a promise to remember my daily vitamins and all should be good. It is still pretty amazing to me...

I also have an owie arm from a tetanus shot....that is just a blatant bid for sympathy. My trainer had none for me this morning, sooo....

weights
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised I didn't have a low level of vitamin D - what with living here and hardly ever seeing the sun! But it seems to be ok, even though I've not even had a tan for years.

Does it make you feel ill to have low levels of it though?
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, but I will be able to answer that better when the levels are back up to normal. I feel fine now, but maybe I will feel even better when things are leveled out.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally doesn't make you feel bad, but you can develop bone problems........Rickets is on the rise again. Plus Vit. D can also help protect against cancer. It's recommended that most people take a 1000 unit supplement daily (very inexpensive, too!).
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well so far so good...I have remembered my vitamins every day. Taking them at dinner as the doc suggested makes it a little easier...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to take Vit D with my calcium as well. I have problems with both. Even though I lived in NM for years! It's crazy!
SquareEyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need vast amounts of sunlight to produce vitamin D, but ones ability to do it drops off quickly as one begins to get a bit less young (especially the ladies).

Be careful with vitamin supplements though. It can be easy to overdose on some (like vitamin D) and if you take too much it can actually have a negative effect on the bones. A colleague of mine has recently been through this.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I am taking script Vit D, 1 per week for 8 weeks. We will see what the doc says for upkeep...
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Naked Scientists discussed Vitamin D in a recent podcast. You can also find a layman's discussion on Security Now. (Just fast forward past the dated security news.)

Vitamin D can also be a factor in catching colds as I understand. I was surprised to learn that some of the only food sources of Vitamin D are fish (which I rarely eat) and eggs. I've since started supplementing my diet with Vitamin D as a result.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: