Commodore 64 returns for retro technology fans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Commodore 64 returns for retro technology fans Reply with quote

Commodore 64 returns for retro technology fans
The Commodore 64, an icon of 1980s computing, is returning to take advantage of the appetite for retro technology.

The original introduced a generation to the possibilities of home computing - including classic videogames such as Elite and International Karate.

Now it is being relaunched with an up-to-date WIndows PC under its original 1980s shell.

A new company, Commodore USA, is taking orders for the machine. Commodore International, responsible for the 8-bit original, went bankrupt in 1994.

The modern version features a dual-core Intel Atom D525 processor at 1.8GHz and 2GB of RAM. It will ship with emulator software to run original Commodore 64 programmes, which had to make to with MOS 6502 processor at 1MHz and 64K of RAM.

And while 1980s Commodore 64 programmes came on cassette tapes or floppy disks, its modern imitator has a USB ports, WiFi, a multiformat memory card reader and optional Blu-Ray drive.
Related Articles

Commodore USA however said its had remained "as close to the original in design as humanly possible".

The new machine, which costs around £360, will ship from May or June onwards and will appear in shops later this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8438780/Commodore-64-returns-for-retro-technology-fans.html
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah now, that's my Christmas present sorted with any luck!

I spray-painted my C64 flourescent green and orange. The lads at the local computer club (in 1985) were horrified... haha
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That brings back some memories. I didn't have my own C=64; had to get my fix from friends and family.

This hardware doesn't look bad. Atom processor may not be top of the line, but should be enough to play any of the classic games on your TV and then some.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Tramiel died last week. Here's a short obituary from BBC radio.
http://www.youmicro.com/songs/JackTramielObituary-2012-04-20.mp3
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

I spray-painted my C64 flourescent green and orange. The lads at the local computer club (in 1985) were horrified... haha

What were you thinking???? Shocked Laughing
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I'd taken it apart to see how it worked and then thought that I may as well make it 'mine'. Later, my Atari ST was painted black within about 4 months.

I was never one for uniformity... haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: