Kevin Bloody Wilson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Kevin Bloody Wilson Reply with quote

TOM SEBO'S INTERVIEW: A bloody funny man
BY TOM SEBO
22 Oct, 2010
goulburnpost.com.au

ICONIC Australian comedian Kevin Bloody Wilson will be performing at the Workers Club on Wednesday night when he brings his Excess All Areas tour to Goulburn. The comedian has strong ties to the local area and told the Post he couldn’t wait to come back. Wilson’s father was born in Goulburn and he said he had fond memories of visiting the town as a child to see his grandparents.

“I have wonderful memories of Goulburn,” he said. “I remember sleeping on the veranda (of my grandparents’ house) and being hit by the spotlight from the lighthouse on the hill. We used to try to count how long it would take for the light to come back around. Every time we go there we always drive past nanna’s old house.”

Wilson is widely regarded as one of Australia’s funniest comedians and has spent the last 25 years touring the globe. He has played to sold-out crowds in just about every town in Australia as well as the UK and New Zealand. His life however hasn’t always been so glamorous. Wilson grew up in the Western Australian town of Kalgoorlie, a hot, tough, no nonsense little mining town in the outback, and trialled a number of jobs over the years. He worked as an electrician, a music teacher and even did a stint as whitegoods salesman. However it was his larrikin attitude and uncanny ability to write funny songs that made him a hit within the community.

While he says it was his passion at the time he never imagined it would become his career. “I honestly never thought I would travel outside of Kalgoorlie,” Wilson said. “I started off doing it for the blokes around the local football clubs and I thought they were just laughing because they knew me.”

However, it was when his mates asked him to record a tape for them, so that they could take it home show it to their friends, that his career really took off. He recorded a handful of songs and made 100 copies of the tape, most of which he sold in the first night. Since then he has recorded 13 full-length albums, which included hits like “DILLIGAF”, “Hey Santa Claus” and “Livin’ Next Door To Alan”, and sold millions of copies to people all over the world. Wilson’s songs are extremely crude but distinctly Australian. No topic is taboo for the comedian and his open use of obscenities and tongue in cheek approach to sensitive issues make his music appealing to a lot of people.

Wilson is opposed to political correctness and said that was something that appealed to people all over the world. He said political correctness was challenging our right to think for ourselves and bordering on the ridiculous. “(Political correctness) is a crock of shit - It’s starting to suppress common sense,” Wilson said. “In England at the moment they have just brought in a new law that police dogs have to be muzzled at all times and I just thought bloody hell they might as well have police rabbits. We’re starting to get that way too but I hope Australia can apply more common sense.”

Wilson also told the Post that he was opposed to the way political correctness pandered to the sensitivities of society’s most fragile people and that simply isn’t Australian. “Australia hasn’t changed - the Australia I know is still there but I think it is being suppressed,” he said. Wilson said racism was an over used term these days. He believed people needed to learn to take a joke and says ironically it is usually the people the joke is aimed at who find it the funniest.

His comedy transcends age barriers, often with three generations of the same family attending his shows, and he says people tend to either love him or hate him. “What I’ve noticed is there are no shades of grey,” Wilson explained. People either say that is offensive or that was piss funny. (But the people who are easily offended) don’t come to my shows and they don’t buy my stuff therefore their opinions don’t matter.”

The most appealing thing about the comedian’s show however is that what you see is what you get. Kevin Bloody Wilson isn’t an alter ego, just the offbeat personality of a man who is loyal to his mates, dedicated to his fans and always able to see the funny side of life.

----------------------

He's a fucking dinosaur. The only song he ever did which was worth hearing (Oi Santa!) was a cover of a track by UK Subs. Still, he deserves a thread merely for his persistance in being a fucking donsaur...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Comedy News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: