geolocation and google spying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: geolocation and google spying Reply with quote

Quote:
Geolocation is the identification of your actual geographic location in the real world using information that your computer or cell phone/mobile phone sometimes unknowingly supplies.

The reason for this practise is - as it always is - money. Because there's money to be made if a company knows what your surfing habits are and how they can couple that knowledge to the place where you live or are at that moment in time. These companies can use targeted advertising to offer you free stuff or rebates in a shop near you.

http://no-geolocation.blogspot.com/

Quote:
One visit to a booby-trapped website could direct attackers to a person's home, a security expert has shown.
The attack, thought up by hacker Samy Kamkar, exploits shortcomings in many routers to find out a key identification number.
It uses this number and widely available net tools to find out where a router is located.
Demonstrating the attack, Mr Kamkar located one router to within nine metres of its real world position.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10850875

interested ? then go to

http://no-geolocation.blogspot.com/

to find out how to turn this piece of invadeware off ...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's interesting for sure - I checked mine and it's saying I'm located in the city centre, so no problem.
Sera_6969

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this Brown Sauce.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whilst doing what is suggested on the blog will get rid of geolocation, it won't help of course with geo ip location ..

Confused
gordonrussell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the no-geolocation.blogspot.com then to
benwerd.com/lab/geo.php and tried to right click for page info and the mouse locked with the screen vibrating.Had to power off and reboot.
Bit freaky .
Came back here scrolled down a bit and Brown Sauce's Google map had my IP address and located me to within 3 miles.
Freaky Part Two......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: